Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 10:42   #76
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Our Medical Kit

Quote:
Has anyone considered something like Tramadol for pain control if necessary?
Ive always brought fast acting and slow release versions of Zydol with me. coupled with broad spectrum antibiotics in pill and cream form. Then tummy stuff and re-hydration remedies.

As to the best list Ive seen, the French full offshore recommended medical kit is a very good starting point. I remember the suprise on the chemist in Antibes as I ordered the lot without a prescription in sight, Its amazing what people believe/do when you tell them your sailing off into the ocean on a small boat.

Best place to top up in the Med are Spain and Portugal for this type of stuff, a lot is non-prescription
dave
Old 01-04-2013, 13:44   #77
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'm truly sorry, Nick. I misread your mention of Klinitulle as a recommendation that we carry it, as you do, and I couldn't see any reason why we would or should. Apparently it was simply something that was simply prepacked in your med case by the vendors, that none of us would find reason to include. How curious to find one Dutch product in a med kit, when the same company makes so many other products, including the conventional types most of us do carry.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 16:24   #78
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you decide to use an impregnated gauze bandage, make it the xeroform medicated one. and only after the burns have been addressed by professional.

the vaseline gauze is only good for sucking chest wounds and sucking boat wounds.....will help fill leaks in hulls....

jedi--hank taught me to use peroxide--pour over the fg infested places and let it sit a little then PAT it off--- do not rub. i find swimming in ocean water can do the same thing if i swim long enough...

ok..would one of you single guys with medical kit please come along on my boat--i know how to use the thing, and you need a nurse. i have my own boat....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 20:30   #79
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I'm truly sorry, Nick. I misread your mention of Klinitulle as a recommendation that we carry it, as you do, and I couldn't see any reason why we would or should. Apparently it was simply something that was simply prepacked in your med case by the vendors, that none of us would find reason to include. How curious to find one Dutch product in a med kit, when the same company makes so many other products, including the conventional types most of us do carry.
I have posted the first US brand of the same thing, listing the advantages too. These do not come as standard in any medkit for boats just like they don't come with anti-biotics etc. The medpacks we discuss here you need to put together yourself.

You find no reason to include it? Good for you
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 21:24   #80

Boat: Leopard 40 Catamaran

If planning on going anywhere you may question the local sterilisation practices (or lack thereof), you can politely ask if they would like to use your own syringes & needles... as long as you packed 'em.

This was suggested to me today when discussing my plans with a travel doctor.
Old 02-04-2013, 00:19   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe-007 View Post
If planning on going anywhere you may question the local sterilisation practices (or lack thereof), you can politely ask if they would like to use your own syringes & needles... as long as you packed 'em.
I always keep a assortment of needles but even with packing your own needles what about the vial they are sticking it in. If the vial of drugs has already had several questionable needles in it, then your clean needle is a moot point.

Don't get me wrong I would rather hedge my bets with my needles, but if your in a area where it's questionable enough to use your own needles what makes you think the vial is going to be kept sterile with dirty needles jabbing in it.
SeaBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:32   #82

Boat: Outremer 5X

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Thanks - added to my kit :-)
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:10   #83
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Zeehag-
Sucking boat wounds? thanks for that, now I know what to use after giant narwhal attacks puncture the hull! <G> I still think someone has occlusive and anti-stick compresses confused. But then again, I keep calling telfa pads tefla pads, and I keep spelling gauze guaze. Must be lexdysia!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:09   #84

Boat: '46 Creekmore

Hey all!

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I have added a few very much needed/forgotten/overlooked items to my trauma pack. I did not however see anyone mention having a small size "D-E" O2 tank for administering O2 to a patient in an emergency situation. Just a thought....
And if you get bored, you can REALLY get that bond fire goin! KIDDING!!!!!!! (DO NOT TRY AT HOME) You don't want that to result in using all of the burn trauma dressings in you pack,... or the body bags....
jordiebsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 20:27   #85

With kids aboard I would not be with out Oragel( tooth aches) or equivalent for cuts, splinters,and some pretty bad cuts that needed cleaning which would have hurt without it
now I'am sure someone will say that you should not use this BUT it works,the instantaneous pain relief, priceless when you have a distraught child!!!!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 21:07   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Jedi,

Be careful with the Ciprofloxacin. The FDA has given it a "Black Box" rating. It can cause spontaneous tendon ruptures in older persons.

Yeah... my wife got prescribed some in Indonesia and suffered from sore tendons/joints for several months.

However, it did clear up the infection very quickly. Guess in a serious situation I would probably risk a once off dose.
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 01:39   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

This is the list of stuff we took for a 2 year Atlantic Circuit. 2 adults and the odd guest on board. Our reasoning was it might be necessary to keep the patient going for 3 days. After that RMA (Radio Medical Advice) and assistance via the authorities and ships would be at hand.

SWMBO and I have both done the STCW 95, Medical First Aid Aboard Ship and Medical Care Aboard Ship. The latter qualification is usually only held by ship's Masters and First Officers. The medical handbook carried is The Ship's Captains Medical Guide. This is the standard text and it's what the Doc will have too when you call up for RMA. It's available as a pdf. Ships Captain's Medical Guide

All the supplies were bought from LE West.

Glyceryl Trinitrate Spray 400mcg
Prochlorperazine 3mg Buccal Tabs x 50
Promethazine HCL 25mg/ml 1ml amps x 10
Codeine Phosphate Tablets 30mg x 28
Trimethroprim Tablets 200mg x 14
Paracetamol 500mg Tablets x 100
Diclofenac Sodium 50mg Suppos. x 10
Tramadol 100mg/2ml x 5 (morph sub)
Loratidine 10mg Tablets x 30
Benzylpenicillin 600mg Inj.[Crystapen]x2 5
Water for Injection 2ml x 10
Ciprofloxacin Tab. 500mg x 10
Erythromycin tablets 250mg x 28
Metronidazole Suppositories 1gm x 10
Metronidazole Tablets 400mg x 21
Flucloxacillin Capsules - 250mg x 28
Sod. Chloride & Dextrose Oral. Powder x6
Hydrocortisone 1% Cream 15g
Miconazole Nitrate 2% Topical Cream 30g
Chloramphenicol 1% 4g Eye Ointment
Lidocaine HCL 1% 50mg in 5mls x 10
Oil of Cloves x 10ml 1
Dental Kit - Disposable Dentanurse
Suture Pack/ Kit Sterile (single use)
Forceps - Needle Forceps
Sterile Compression Bandage Med. 1/8/14 5
Sterile Compression Bandage Large 2/9/15 5
Sterile Compression Bandage Ex-Large 4 1
Dressing - Waterjel 5 x 15cm 2
Dressing - Waterjel 10 x 10cm 2 1
Cool Jel Sachets x 3
Waterjel 120ml/bottle
Gloves Vinyl Large (Sterile) x Pair 2
Gloves Vinyl Medium (Sterile) x Pair 2
Adrenaline Auto Injector 0.3mg ADULT 1
Antibiotic Ear drops 5mls (otosporin) 3
Silver Sulphadiazine 1% cream x 50g 1
Foley Catheter 16fg (balloon catheter) 1
Lido. Gel 2% + Chlorh. 0.25% Syr. 6/11ml 1
Stethoscope 1
Amoxicillin 3g Dual Sachet x 2 1
Rubbing Alcohol 70% x 500ml
AIDS/Blood Protection Kit 2
Disposable Syringes (No Needle) - 2ml 10 1
Disposable Syringes (no needle) - 5ml 10
Disposable Syringes (No-Needle) - 10ml
Disposable Hypodermic Needle 21g x 5 3
Disposable Hypodermic Needles - 25g x 5

In addition to all this, there was a box containing asprin, plasters etc.

Thankfully we never had to open the serious medical kit.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 01:53   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
This is the standard text and it's what the Doc will have too when you call up for RMA. It's available as a pdf. Ships Captain's Medical Guide
Thanks for the link!
It is in very user friendly form. I recommend all cruisers download this .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 02:51   #89

I have also done the STCW 95 Medical First Aid Aboard Ship and Medical Care Aboard Ship courses. The 22nd edition of the Ship Captain's Medical Guide is now 15 years out of date. The 23rd edition is done, but the MCA won't release it until they have sold out of the 22nd edition. For example, most of the information in the 22nd edition about ulcers is wrong, being based on superstitious beliefs about ulcers prevalent among doctors before the understanding that most are caused by a heliobacter pylori infection. Most of the information is still good, but beware.
Old 24-04-2013, 04:02   #90

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I am not sure that a US doctor will prescribe you all of these medications without any cause of illness, and a pharmacist would honor the script provided. Have you calculated, how much all these drugs would cost? <Pharmacy - Board Certified> Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
medical