Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2014, 22:28   #16

Boat: 21 ft sail boat
Re: Personal Locator Beacons

[QUOTE=Ex-Calif;1583787]

There has been some discussions in the past about trailing a warp that one might try to grab if one went over.

Don't know where, but I read a test which showed you cant pull yourself against a 5 kt current. You can hang on to the rope as bait for the next white pointer.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 22:49   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'm going to figure out a way to 'trip' the self steering vane should I fall overboard whether tethered or not. A line rigged so that pulling on it will lay over the wind paddle and put the boat in irons. The trick is how to keep the drag of the line trailing in the water from effecting the vanes sensitivity. Getting aboard a boat that is DIW is a major effort. Doing it moving at 5k would be a miracle.

Phones have the ability to be tracked. Can that ability be used by the authorities without getting a search warrant?? Also can they do it quickly and easily using the phone's GPS function not just cell tower triangulation?? Finding someone floating in the water is not easy even in calm conditions. Knowing that they are looking for someone off Carlsbad, CA is not my idea of good locator. Of course, does anyone but the CG have access PLB or Epirb data??
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 23:29   #18

For single handers, definitely a PLB.

Sailing with crew though I think one of these would good to have in addition to the PLB. As long as you have an AIS receiver of course. Probably for single handers too, in reasonably trafficked areas:

SafeLink R10
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 23:38   #19

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

[QUOTE=roverhi;1583930]I'm going to figure out a way to 'trip' the self steering vane should I fall overboard whether tethered or not. A line rigged so that pulling on it will lay over the wind paddle and put the boat in irons.

You still will be drifting and fast in strong winds. Five knots will keep you in the water.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 02:25   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Only good for about 12 hrs., iirc.

Ann
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Where did you get that from? PLB's have the same satellite requirements as EPIRB's, have the same output power, the same antenna gain (same length antenna too, did you see it unrolled to it's active position?) and a battery life of minimum 12 hours in freezing weather conditions (meaning much longer in warm climates).

PLB's are key equipment.
Hmm... not sure where you guys are getting your battery time data from but the PLB units I'm familiar with have a minimum battery life of 24 hours (and that is at zero degrees C, IRRC).

Of course, I am not familiar with all PLB's .

However I concur with Jedi's other comments
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 06:29   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

For single handers. Probably a having a plb is good advice. Personally for crewed vessels an AIS sart looks like a much better option. Deep sea, the time to rescue could be far too long for a mob using a plb.

Dave
Old 14-07-2014, 08:33   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

We have a Rescue Me PLB attached to our life jackets. They are the smallest on the market and have the equal longest battery life (when I bought them. This may have changed).

They are not the best option for MOB, but better than nothing, and a couple of PLB's attached to life jackets seems a much more sensible way to spend your safety dollar than a single EPIRB if the regulations give you this option (and if not why not?)
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 13:57   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... not sure where you guys are getting your battery time data from but the PLB units I'm familiar with have a minimum battery life of 24 hours (and that is at zero degrees C, IRRC).

Of course, I am not familiar with all PLB's .

However I concur with Jedi's other comments
Indeed, I checked my FastFind and it's 24 hours at freezing temp. An EPIRB does 48h.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 15:06   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

FWIW, I got it from the Cheeki Rafiki thread. Am pleased to learn they have a 24 hr. life at 0 deg. C. Gives a rescuer a chance to get to the mob.

A.
Old 14-07-2014, 20:06   #25

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I am the OP. I just registered an ACR ResQLink +. I chose it because it floats. It seems to be the largest of the second generation PLB's, because of the floatation, but still smaller than the originals. It has an antenae that can be adjusted to aim skyward when floating. 6 years until battery replacement, with 30 hours of battery life. This is according to the manufacturer's specs. It also has a $50 rebate, and ACR is a proven company. I am leaving for Block Island and Martha's Vineyard on Saturday, and confident that it will never be used. However, just in case I am wrong....
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote