Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 07:13   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Just continually maintaining one’s balance, on a boat, provides significant exercise - not unlike isometrics. Daily chores supplement this, so that I wouldn’t expect most cruisers would require dedicated strength exercise to maintain good health.

Cruiser walk (swim) a lot. This should provide adequate cardio’ exercise, for all except passagemakers.

Dead Bug Exercises: BRIDGING EXERCISES

Other Back Stretches and Exercises:
BACK STRETCHES and EXERCISES
Attached Images

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:54   #17

Boat: correct craft, 22ft
I would say Jentine is right on the money. CV is easy on a boat, push ups, burpees, step ups, pull ups and rings, air squats fast interval, core strength training with cardio.
johnny101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:01   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version

We've been thinking about buying one of the contraptions in the picture above. it raises, and adds resistance to the back wheel of a bike. Maybe even hook up a spare alternator to it! It's not too big. probably better for the anchorage. than on passage.

Otherwise, We carry a kayak I use often, and we row our dinghy (added benefit of simplicity, drawback of limited range).
Girlfriend does yoga.
we balance any exercise out with a batch of cookies on rainy days.

kidding aside, since moving aboard with no freezer, we eat far healthier than we did on land. Lots more veggies, fruit, and fresh meat rather than frozen meats, fast food, and frozen stuff like pizza rolls (which I kinda miss).
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:40   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Just continually maintaining one’s balance, on a boat, provides significant exercise - not unlike isometrics. Daily chores supplement this, so that I wouldn’t expect most cruisers would require dedicated strength exercise to maintain good health.

Cruiser walk (swim) a lot. This should provide adequate cardio’ exercise, for all except passagemakers.

Dead Bug Exercises: BRIDGING EXERCISES

Other Back Stretches and Exercises:
BACK STRETCHES and EXERCISES

Gord makes a good point here about just *being* on the boat 24/7. We notice a substantially increased caloric burn in our bodies living on the ever-rocking boat compared to living on land.

Guess now that I'm getting a cat, I'll have to do more concious exercise.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:25   #20

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
"Dead bug" was a code word and execution of the "dead bug" exercise in my old fighter pilot days. The exercise was done only once, but fast.
Last one on ground after call out "Dead Bug" had to pay the beer for all!

But I guess this does not help for fitness on a small boat!?

The physical exercise "Dead Bug":
Whoops, somebody above had a better explanation like I did!

I prefer bringing my glass with rum up and down.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 22:08   #21

Dead Bug

The "dead bug" exercise was taught to me by a physical therapist who is also a sensei in karate, but not a former fighter pilot.

He had me place a blood pressure pump under the small of my back while I lay on the ground and did slow "bicycle pumps" with my legs, as if I was riding the bicycle away from the ground. The key was to keep up the pedaling while also maintaining high pressure between the small of my back and the ground. I do it now with just my finger tips under my back to feel for the pressure.

Imagine a beetle lying on its back and you get the picture (perhaps "dying bug" would be more apt).

It works great for me, but I suppose I should add that everything above should be vetted with your own trusted health care professional before you try it.

It's interesting with respect to GordMay's comment above that a variation of this exercise can be done on an exercise ball- it feels like you're on the open ocean.
Mahana is offline   Reply With Quote