Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2011, 07:32   #16

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Re: Prescription Meds: Who will write Rx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
last year on a delivery from hawaii to australia,was suprised that usa pharmacists would not supply saline solution over the counter!as for iv use.

most 2nd and 3rd world pharmacies are only too happy to help and drugs are1/4 of the price.
IV solutions and IVs are notoriously difficult to keep clean and the USA is a litigious society. The pharmacy's insurance carrier is not interested in hearing from your lawyer when you die of sepsis.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 08:52   #17

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"

Get a new Doctor. Mine spent some time making sure I was competent to use the stuff I wanted and had no problem writing the prescriptions I needed. He also wrote a 'travel letter' for us explaing how to get a hold of him or his staff in an emergency and put our medical histories on a CD for us. My wife takes some permanent medication and our 'Doc' even arranged to forward us prescriptions when needed by emailing or calling his office. Of course he's a boater too with some miles under his keel.
Old 19-04-2011, 17:06   #18

Boat: Outbound 44

Thanks for all the responses. Taking a specific offshore/wilderness medical course is on the "to do" list for us. This was one of those questions that creaps up and I thought I'd ask to see what others were doing.

I will look into a few of the suggestions mentioned. I will most likely wait until I'm at the medical course to find the answer.

BTW, GordMay asked which meds. Jimmey Cornell mentions a list of them in one of his books.
pwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 06:42   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

Thanks for all the replies. I tried a "quick reply" yesterday, but I don't see it today.

GordMay asked what meds. Jimmy Cornell list several in one of his books, mostly the prescription antibiotics and controlled pain meds.

I will continue to look for an offshore/wilderness course and maybe they'll have an "in" to getting these meds into my medical kit.

Thanks
pwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 11:34   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilliams View Post

I will continue to look for an offshore/wilderness course and maybe they'll have an "in" to getting these meds into my medical kit.
Offshore worst things happen when you get a brute physical injury. So the standard skills of being able to take care of broken limbs, open wounds and smelly ulcers are desired.

Then perhaps per each wilderness (not much of it left anyway) region you want to visit it is good to know the local risks (salties in Oz, amoebas in NZ, Bluebottles everywhere, etc.), ways to avoid them and actions to be taken, should you fail to avoid them completely.

We had this book onboard:

Advanced First Aid Afloat, 3rd erition, by Peter F. Eastman, M.D.

and I read it before our escapade and then read some chapters again as we went. I think it is a good book to have a look at and maybe keep onboard. It covers most anything one is likely at all to run into. Proper sea funeral was covered in the newer editions (so they say).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 12:27   #21

I had a post on here previously looking for Doxycycline and the mods erased it, so be very careful about what you post.

BTW
I find it criminal that drugs of the anti-biotic type are so strictly prescribed....they use them in your local pet store to treat fish ailments, but only in what is called "vet" dosages.
My wife, who is a nurse, laughed when she read how controlled anti-biotics are here in Canada....she is from the UK.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote