Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2024, 07:14   #16

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Re: Problems With Maui Jim Sunglasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
From “Proper Care for Your Sunglasses” ~ by Maui Jim
https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/sun...e-and-cleaning

Their 2-year warranty does not cover normal wear and tear or abuse.
Lense replacements are $75 USD and are replaced as a pair. Frame charges vary by style. To confirm the charges for your style, contact our Customer Service Department toll free at 1-888-666-5602, or Email:
repairs.us@mauijim.com
At 75$ I doubt they are covering Prescription lenses, I have a pair of Timberland Sun glasses, Frame is about 6 years old and the prescription is out of date, 400 - 500€ for my new lenses, I have tried on 2 continents to get them for less.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 07:20   #17

Boat: Saturna 33

I wore Maui Jim sunglasses for years and always found they scratched very easily. However I was often able to return them and get new ones without any questions asked. Even when I stood on a pair and broke them! I think the reason Maui Jim could be so generous with replacements is that the have a massive markup. Maybe they've become stricter now. I then went on to get prescription Maui Jims after being reassured that these had a special scratch resistant coating. Well, that pair got lots of scratches in no time. When I looked at the lenses more closely it was obvious that the polarizing layer was some kind of laminate applied to the outside of the lenses. At it was soft. The inside layer might have been more scratch-resistant, but that's not where it counts. Maui Jim was going to give a me big discount on my next pair but I gave up. I've been using Rayban since and their lenses are much more durable and cheaper too!
daggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 08:03   #18

Boat: Beneteau 361

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HL9ZMP2/

$50 progressive sunglasses from Croakies with decent accessories.
twofingerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 08:07   #19

Boat: Sailboat 51'

I unfortunately am in the same boat, so to say as you. However I'm slow and just bought a new pair. First pair, same issues and just thought it was my carelessness, but now that I'm having the same issues with my second pair I know it's not me. Second pair are only 5-6 months old. Not worth the hassle with the back and forth after over $1000 spent. Needless to say I'll be looking for a new company for my next pair.
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 08:14   #20

To be honest, the Maui Jims have been a big disappointment. I've had hinges snap three times in 6 months - normal wear, nothing abusive, and have given up on them.
CyKlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 08:25   #21

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Had a pair of $250 Maui Jim's years ago. They were OK until I dropped them in the water. Now I stick to $30 glasses and replace as needed with no tears shed.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 08:29   #22

Boat: Catalina 30

We bought several pairs of Bifocal MJs with magnifying lenes. (Use it or lose it benefits.) Lost one pair, but the others have held up well, even when left in the car. When you say they were left in a car, was it in the case and in the glove box, or bare on the dashboard? Prolonged direct UV exposure wreaks havoc on many things.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 14:14   #23

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

If you are a veteran or know one, you can get Oakley Rx sunglasses for around $400 USD for their best lenses. www.oakleysi.com is the site for veterans, first responders, etc. I wouldn't leave anything expensive on the dash of a car in warm sunny climates.
Old 17-04-2024, 05:45   #24

Boat: Herreshoff Nereia H36
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanshoretiga

Hi all,

No problems with Maui Jim’s.
I’ve had Maui Jim’s for years and years, probably about 15. Two pairs as prescriptions changed and no problems. Light and easy and no distortion.
Jim
oceanshoretiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 19:39   #25

I am no longer able to sail, but I sometimes still read this forum.
I didn;t need prescription glasses when I sailed, so I wore Sport Optics with polarised 'blue-block' glass lenses that I bought in the 70s (I still use the same pair sometimes 50 years later).

I've worn them driving cars, trucks and electric trams for a living as well as when flying (not a good idea these days because of LCD screens).

On the yachts I mostly used throw away plastic polarised sunnies because I could afford to drop them overboard regularly. Sailing in shallow reef waters daily meant that was not an uncommon occurrence.
I kept several pairs aboard.

On shore I generally used the S.O.s because of the clarity and the scratch resistance of the glass. But with years of sitting on dashboards in the Aussie sun, the frames melted a little and the glass outers started separating from the inner polarised film, all around the edge.
These days at age 70, I have needed prescription glasses for the last 6 years, and I am glad I rediscovered polarised 'clip-ons'.

A few years ago I lived on a Coral-Coast (Whitsundays) island as it sole inhabitant for a couple of years. Having a few pairs of clip-ons on hand meant I could wear (my prior year's) prescription glasses with the clip-ons to see into the depths easily if I was paddling a sit-on kayak between the islands, or through the reefs.

I think that's the way I would go these days if I was still sailing. The things used to be a walk-in purchase at pharmacies and at some tourist stores.

rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 21:01   #26

I’m well on the way to solving my Maui Jim failure, I found a place here in Australia that supplies replacement lenses. I like the frames a lot and with new lenses they’ll be back to their old selves. I find it unusual that the Maui Jims are the only ones that can’t handle being left out in the sun, I have Persol, Vuarnet and Ray ban, all get the same treatment, all are older than the MauiJims and its only specifically the MJ’s that failed. FWIW, my dashcam is in the sun fully exposed every single day with no degradation…. Just the MJ’s.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 22:59   #27

I wonder if they are made with 'Green' nylon? As in recycled or 'eco friendly' or whatever. A lot of things are these days.

I was also curious about the effect of being on a car dash on a 'normal' day where the outside temperature is about 35 Deg Cels.

Sincce I spent a lot of time printing on various plastics using heat, I remember that nylon usually melts somewhere above 210C .
A car interior gets to about 70C max on a 35 degree day. Under glass it is probably a lot hotter, but probably shouldn't damage nylon frames.

UNLESS . . The frames had been worn while swimming. Nylon absorbs a fair bit of water, and tossed on the dash after an hour or two of frequent submersion, maybe they would change shape.

It seems like a pretty long shot though . .
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 04:14   #28

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I recently spent over $600.00 for a pair of Maui Jim polarized prescription sunglasses. They went to get Maui's special lenses. Upon receiving the glasses I notice there is a gap between the right temple and the frame several millimeters wide, (Poorly fitted). After about a month the hinge on the glass case broke and soon after the vinyl wrapping on the case started to peel off.

I was at the beach this summer and the glass lenses developed what can only be described as large ghost like spots that you cant see through rendering the glasses totally useless.

When I called the company I was instructed that the issue with the lenses was caused by leaving them in a hot car and because they were purchased over a year ago that they would not do anything abou the issue. Glasses were only two weeks over being a year old, and never have I heard anything about not leaving them in the car.

When I did some research about Maui Jim on the internet I was amazed to see how many dissatisfied customers they have.
Spending 600 and not doing the google search first? Umm..
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 17:38   #29

Boat: Young 42

At the start of my 15 years of blue water cruising, I used to buy expensive polarized lens sunglasses. Polarized lenses are very helpful, even necessary, as they cut out glare and allow one to see underwater rocks and coral heads which would be invisible using normal sunglasses. I don't use prescription lenses, so my advice may not be 100% useful, but after years of losing, scratching, and wearing out expensive sunglasses, I switched to buying generic "off the shelf" polarized sunglasses from fishing supply stores. I rarely spent more than US$20 on a pair. I sold my sailboat 6 years ago, but I still have the last pair of $20 sunglasses, and they are still in fine condition.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:30   #30

Boat: Westsail 32

Cheap sunglasses are a great alternative unfortunately need prescription lenses
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote