Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2024, 12:46   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Problems With Maui Jim Sunglasses

I recently spent over $600.00 for a pair of Maui Jim polarized prescription sunglasses. They went to get Maui's special lenses. Upon receiving the glasses I notice there is a gap between the right temple and the frame several millimeters wide, (Poorly fitted). After about a month the hinge on the glass case broke and soon after the vinyl wrapping on the case started to peel off.

I was at the beach this summer and the glass lenses developed what can only be described as large ghost like spots that you cant see through rendering the glasses totally useless.

When I called the company I was instructed that the issue with the lenses was caused by leaving them in a hot car and because they were purchased over a year ago that they would not do anything abou the issue. Glasses were only two weeks over being a year old, and never have I heard anything about not leaving them in the car.

When I did some research about Maui Jim on the internet I was amazed to see how many dissatisfied customers they have.
Old 04-04-2024, 13:09   #2

Re: Problems With Maui Jim Sunglasses

Maui Jim is a recreational sunglass and apparel company. I wouldn't waste money with prescriptions in Maui Jims.

I had a pair of Raybans many years ago in Rx. At the time Rayban could only do Glass. They were so heavy (I have poor eyesight) I couldn't keep them from slipping off my face when I looked down.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 13:13   #3

I cant stand plastic lenses, always wore Raybans never had a problem leaving them in the car..
Old 04-04-2024, 13:26   #4

I have the same problem, the lenses have become optically compromised with blotches after less than a year, problem is, I love the unbreakable frames, I suspect titanium and they seem to be unlike any other glasses I’ve owned. I’m considering getting them re lensed. The argument that you can’t leave your shades in the sun or in the car is BS, I have a pair of Persol sunglasses that live on the dash of my car…… no degradation after 5 years. Maui Jim is no longer American owned and now part of the Kering conglomerate owned by the French. Maybe we should stick with Luxottica brands (Ray-ban, Arnette, Oakley, Persol etc)
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 05:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I have the same problem, the lenses have become optically compromised with blotches after less than a year, problem is, I love the unbreakable frames, I suspect titanium and they seem to be unlike any other glasses I’ve owned. I’m considering getting them re lensed. The argument that you can’t leave your shades in the sun or in the car is BS, I have a pair of Persol sunglasses that live on the dash of my car…… no degradation after 5 years. Maui Jim is no longer American owned and now part of the Kering conglomerate owned by the French. Maybe we should stick with Luxottica brands (Ray-ban, Arnette, Oakley, Persol etc)

I will never buy a pair of Maui Jims again
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 09:40   #6

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

REI glacier glasses can be fitted with prescription lenses. I had 3 pairs done at Kaiser just last month. I have lived in glacier glasses my whole life. Excellent uv protection and made for outdoor sports activity.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 13:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
REI glacier glasses can be fitted with prescription lenses. I had 3 pairs done at Kaiser just last month. I have lived in glacier glasses my whole life. Excellent uv protection and made for outdoor sports activity.
Thanks will have a look
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 13:45   #8

I have a pair of Vuarnet Nautilux that have absolutely no scratches on the lenses. I am on my third frame though. Last frame broke so I found a new model Nautilux frame on the net but they were slightly smaller. Send them to worldoptic in Ca and they fitted them for me.

I love these glasses. Now get this. I bought them in 1984 for a 100 Canadaian.
I obviously look after them.
kenhep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 13:49   #9

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Sorry to hear this. Maui Jim used to have very good customer service. They helped me with an after-warranty problem with a pair that was 4-5 years old, but that was quite a number of years ago.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 15:10   #10

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

I just picked up a new client the other day and, at the same time, found out about Ombraz Sunglasses. It is a unique/different design and truthfully, they raised my eyebrow when I read about it. But, they rate extremely high.

I'll give them a go and let you know my thoughts.

Also, if anyone here has tried them, I'd really like to hear their take.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 16:01   #11

Boat: Mirage 33

If you buy from a local retailer you can always take back any problem. Buying anything online is always more risky.
pmclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 02:22   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

From “Proper Care for Your Sunglasses” ~ by Maui Jim
https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/sun...e-and-cleaning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Jim
“... Heat
Excessive heat may deteriorate your lenses or misshape your nylon frame. Avoid placing your sunglasses where you might expect excessive heat, for example, on the dashboard of your car...
Their 2-year warranty does not cover normal wear and tear or abuse.
Lense replacements are $75 USD and are replaced as a pair. Frame charges vary by style. To confirm the charges for your style, contact our Customer Service Department toll free at 1-888-666-5602, or Email:
repairs.us@mauijim.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 06:51   #13

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Sorry to hear this. Maui Jim used to have very good customer service. They helped me with an after-warranty problem with a pair that was 4-5 years old, but that was quite a number of years ago.
I've been wearing Maui Jim's for ~20 years, love their lenses. They'll do free frame alignments and new nose pads for the cost of return shipping. Just sent an old pair in w/ bent frame and they replaced the frame for a fraction of the cost of new pair. Never had any lens issues unless I dropped them on concrete and cracked them. (No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer). Have some readers, but never had them do a prescription pair, so perhaps that's a different lens technology.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 06:54   #14

Boat: Beneteau 361

I wear progressive lenses with Transitions for my daily wear, but can't justify getting prescription sunglasses as I know they will go swimming (lost) or damaged (scratched), so I bought several pairs of cheap readers and sunglasses that I keep scattered around the boat, plus I bought some DeWalt bi-focal sunglasses for $12.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000646VGW/
twofingerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 06:55   #15

Boat: Neel 43

The poorly fitted glasses are clearly a reason for complaint.
Regarding damages due to high temperature, like in an overheated car - that is common and every optician can confirm this. The heat damages the coating of the glasses. For all kinds of non-silicone (the real glass) glasses.
COOGOR is offline   Reply With Quote