Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2021, 22:10   #1

Boat: Catalina 270 LE
Recommended Safety Gear

Just started sailing Lake Superior out of the Duluth Superior harbor. A typical day sailing consists of sailing out of the harbor and simply sailing around following the wind. Have not ventured further than 5 miles. We have life jackets and a throwable. We have not gone out in foul weather, but regardless even on a hot day the lake is still hypothermic. We have a marine radio but as far as water safety gear 0. I understand gear is expensive. I will not be cheap when it comes to our safety, but I do not want to go overboard (ha) on gear. Suggestions?
Old 23-06-2021, 01:04   #2

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: Recommended Safety Gear

Canada: https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...fety-equipment

US: https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 02:28   #3
cruiser

Lanyard bucket
CruiseN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 04:02   #4

Here are two recent (June) threads discussing the same topic:

US Onboard Safety Requirements
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/onboard-safety-equipment-requirements-us-252132.html

Boat Emergency Kit
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...it-251929.html

Good luck with your new boat. She looks sweet!

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 04:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Consider for a moment this issue from the standpoint of reasonable scenarios - ways you can foresee getting into trouble. Probably the most likely is a person going overboard. "Having" livejackets isn't much help then if the person is not wearing one. That implies investment in automatic inflation jackets that everyone wears. Next would be getting that person back on board, including the scenario in which you are the person overboard. That suggests both a way of tying on and a way of lifting a hypothermic person, given the remaining crew. It also suggests MOB practice.

Then you might go down the fire scenarios. That's not just a fire extinguisher, it is also getting off the boat in a hurry, given how fiberglass burns, and suggests a waterproof VHF handheld on your inflatable jacket. It also suggests a dinghy or raft of some sort.

So, think about all the situations that scare you, and then think of Plan B for each. When you've covered those,you've got a safety plan in place.
Old 23-06-2021, 07:31   #6

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Safety aboard goes beyond gear alone. As mentioned, having PFDs aboard but not wearing one nearly all of the time does little for safety unless the boat is going down. So, perhaps you should consider safety practices aboard as well. Always hold onto the boat when moving about. Always know where you are and how to report your position on the VHF; do not rely solely on a cell phone. Know how to quickly anchor your boat. Ground tackle is a major piece of safety equipment already on nearly all boats when purchased. Insure its good condition.

Develop and practice/review your MOB prodcedure at least yearly. Know how to throw the “throwable” ring. Decide whether it should be attached to the boat, etc. If out after dark have each crew carry a personal flashlight, batteries maintained. As skipper, learn to alert your crew to pending changes in the boat’s trim (heeling), etc., especially if any are below doing something where they might be holding on to the boat. Also, develop and practice your first aid responses to trama, such as head injury, severe laceration, heat stroke/hypothermia, and severe allergic reaction, etc. Concern about safety can be addressed by thinking out what-if scenarios and preparing. There’s much literature out there on how unexpected happenings have led to desperate problems on a boat.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 07:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

There are many discussions of safety gear. But having a nifty bunch of safety gear is 25% of the problem. Stated differently, a parachute is only good--- if you know how and when to use it.

Invest in boating classes, then read every article/post/whatever about boating incidents you can. Practical Sailor has had some good articles on safety also.

Only when you as the master of your vessel have a good safety mindset, can you identify hazards and how to mitigate them.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 04:35   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Auklet, Snore, I really like your contributions to the conversation. In short, safety is not just owning equipment. It is knowledge, training, and mind set as well.
Old 30-06-2021, 21:51   #9

Boat: Catalina 270 LE

First I very much appreciate all of the valuable information. Theithlu that was incredibly inciteful and really made me look at this from multiple angles. Auklet as well for the input. I have been consumed with thinking outside the box looking in, and what plans I should create and think through. How I should present them to my crew and practice them. This thread was an eye opener that yes I am responsible for all onboard. I need do my very best in preparation, safety practices, and in worst case keep calm and think the situation through. Just like in my scuba diving first step in a situation is keep calm, breath, now think your way out. I have a lot of research, thinking and planning to do. Thank you all very much and if you have more thoughts, please pass it along. All knowledge is helpful.

Tags
gear, men, safety