Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 05:41   #16
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The Coast Guard presents their Top Ten Rescue Videos of 2007:
The Coast Guard Channel: Viewer Contributed Video
The rescue videos were a little disappointing. The next was the drug busts. A little better. For me, the most interesting was a professionally produced video at the bottom of the list that explains the Seattle Vessel Traffic Service.

Thanks, Gord.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:01   #17

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Odd but last night I was channel surfing the boob tube and came across a TV show called "In Harm's Way" not the movie but a TV show and it was about the USCG rescue swimmers operating out of Alaska. Very interesting as it showed the extensive training they go through and continue in even after they attain the rating. Looks like it would kill most people... I know I could probably not have done it in my Prime... if I ever had one... can't remember that far back.

The show was actual footage of them on rescue calls and showed several "jumps" from the choppers... they are actually a short distance from the water when they jump... maybe 20 feet or so above the waves. It also showed them rescue a sick passenger off the bow of a big cruise ship by lowering the rescue tech to the deck by cable and then lift the sick passenger then another lift of the rescue tech/ swimmer.

One thing that was a surprise to me is the swimmer is aware that if conditions go bad or the number of rescues fill the chopper... he is to be left in the water until picked up by some other means. He is expected to spend up to 16 hours alone in the water or more.... now that takes guts and my hat is off to them. Hope I never need assistance but nice to know that a possibility exist in some areas.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:39   #18

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
One thing that was a surprise to me is the swimmer is aware that if conditions go bad or the number of rescues fill the chopper... he is to be left in the water until picked up by some other means. He is expected to spend up to 16 hours alone in the water or more.... now that takes guts and my hat is off to them. Hope I never need assistance but nice to know that a possibility exist in some areas.

I think you just hit on the crux as to why so many are angry at ill prepaired people/boats setting out to sea with the Mommy button ever by their side.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:19   #19

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
The drug bust videos make me miss my old job in the USCG, so much fun to bust those guys.
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:19   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
He is expected to spend up to 16 hours alone in the water or more.... now that takes guts and my hat is off to them.
In Alaska? Yikes! (again!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 13:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The USCG Helicopter Rescue Swimmer Operations Manual includes lessons in eight different water deployment procedures; 11 ways to approach, carry and release a survivor; seven ways to release equipment for Navy and Air Force flyers; and ways to detangle the services' different parachutes and backpacks.
Sure yer not getting confused with "Karma Sutra"?
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:08   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I don't know for sure but I suspect this technique evolved from USA major involvement in carrier aircraft rescue. The pilot of a water downed plane is in heavy gear and often injured and needs a swimmer is my guess.
The USCG Rescue swimmer program started in 1985. The program came about from two disasters. The plane crash into the frozen Potomac in 1982 and the sinking of a collier off the Virginia coast in February 1982. Many lost their lives because they could not reach the rescue lines and baskets because of hypothermia and injuries. This is all from the book "So Others May Live" by Martha Laguardia-Kotite, a Coast Guard Academy graduate who commanded ships for ten years.

Tags
rescue