Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 18:38   #1

Boat: Muira, 1981, 30.8 ft
Safety clothing for North Sea and Baltic

We are sailing from Scotland to Denmark and then the Baltic for 6 weeks. This will be an Autumn trip through Sept and Oct. Can the members give an idea of the safety clothing we will need for the trip.

I am only starting the research..so completely open to types of clothing wear for foul weather, social wear for land trips etc.

Your input is much appreciated.
aquabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 23:56   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Safety clothing for North Sea and Baltic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabrat View Post
We are sailing from Scotland to Denmark and then the Baltic for 6 weeks. This will be an Autumn trip through Sept and Oct. Can the members give an idea of the safety clothing we will need for the trip.

I am only starting the research..so completely open to types of clothing wear for foul weather, social wear for land trips etc.

Your input is much appreciated.
Well this is the area I sail in all the time. I've written a couple of articles for the Danish boating magazine about Autumn/winter sailing so here goes.

Normal foulies are generally good enough. It can/will be cold and often very windy/rainy although you can get lucky have wonderful sunny days (albeit cold at night).

Multiple thin layers are best. I use a set of long underwear (silk or wool - I have silk). Then a thin t-shirt, woolen turtleneck and if it is really cold either a fleece or thick sweater then the foulies.

Blue jeans or similar for pants. A woolen cap is necessary and actually a Bacalava can be a godsend.

For the hands - well I have an old pair of motorcycle gloves I use (windproof and warm).

Seaboots are great - if you don't have them then a good pair of hiking boots - two pairs of socks.

The above is for the truly cold days - remember it is much easier to remove some layers if you get hot than it is to add some if you get cold (takes forever to warm up).

Early this spring my wife and I sailed to Jutland from Copenhagen (about 250nm) upwind in force 7-8. The air temp was 4-5 degreees C, but the windchill had us feeling likeit was something like minus 10 C.

We stayed warm by dressing like above.

A sprayhood or hard dodger is a godsend.

You mention ""safety" clothing - not sure what you mean, but most of the above can be omitted if you happen to have a drysuit (we don't).

Chances are you'll have good sized waves in the north sea - in the Baltic they don't get all that big (2-3 meters) but the wave period is short and the waves very steep because of this.

Depending on the weather - you can end up having the sail of a lifetime - lots of good wind during those months. I crossed the north sea last September. Force 8 gusting 9 and uphill the entire way (Big center cockpit Moody with a big sprayhood). Wonderful trip, although we took a beating the entire way.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 00:00   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I didn't reply to your question about land clothing for social gatherings. The nordic countries tend to be rather informal. A pair of Kaki's a collared shrit and docksiders will get you in almost anywhere. you don't need to bring a jacket or tie (unless you know you are going somewhere really high-class).

Bring the above and a nice sweater and use your foulie jacket (assuming it doesn't look like a left-over from WWII) for a coat.

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 03-07-2015, 02:50   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ah, Carsten,

Do you not think, if it really looked like an Eisenhower jacket, or similar, that it might be respected for its history?

Cheers, mate,

Ann
Old 03-07-2015, 05:26   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ah, Carsten,

Do you not think, if it really looked like an Eisenhower jacket, or similar, that it might be respected for its history?

Cheers, mate,

Ann
Well- I guess if Eisenhower wore it..........................

Old 03-07-2015, 08:37   #6

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Blue jeans or similar for pants...
A great post as usual, Carsten... Except for the above.

Blue jeans are terrible if they get wet and they never ever dry out.

If you have amazing foulies, then this might not be a problem, but in cold and wet conditions I always wear some quick-dry pants and maybe some wool or synthetic longjohns. Never cotton, and especially never jeans.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:43   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
A great post as usual, Carsten... Except for the above.

Blue jeans are terrible if they get wet and they never ever dry out.

If you have amazing foulies, then this might not be a problem, but in cold and wet conditions I always wear some quick-dry pants and maybe some wool or synthetic longjohns. Never cotton, and especially never jeans.

Well I've never really gotten my pants wet under my foulies - but I can certainly agree with your viewpoint. Somethign that dries out quickly is certainly better.

Silk longjohns are amazing - keep you toasty, but also breathe.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:57   #8

In real cold weather, in Canada or in late fall going down the Intracoastal, I wear my "Mustang Floater" one piece suit.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ah, Carsten,

Cheers, mate,

Ann
I resemble this. Sorta.

Years ago, I bought a surplus Swiss Army wool over coat that was really cheap for something like $30. I actually bought three of them in different sizes. None of the coats had ever been issued, were excellent quality, definitely designed for cold outdoor use, very warm even when wet, but also, at least to my eyes, stylish.

No many people would have these in the US...

I was standing in line to get a bagel and coffee one morning and the guy in front of me had on the same danged coat!

Regarding jeans. Jeans are made of cotton and wet cotton will kill you since it drys from the outside of the material and keeps you cold. Wool dries from the skin out and keeps you warm. I have been cold many a day with wet jeans. Never again if I can help it. I have been soaking wet with wool trousers, and while uncomfortable at being wet, I was warm. The only real problem is that the wool in those trousers were not the best quality, and when wet, smelled, well, a bit sheep like. But I was warm! Those were surplus EU army pants too, maybe German.

Wool, silk and modern materials can keep you warm even when wet. I have all cold weather clothes that use all of those material, not all in one piece though. I do have long johns that are wool and silk. Very warm, especially for the weight.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:43   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

I second the Mustang type floater suit or 2 pc. equivalent,with silk or polyprop (ski) type underwear for really cold days.
Wool with nylon windbreaker for milder days.
Definitely no cotton--jeans or otherwise.
Check out ski wear-there is some very light,flexible but still warm ski gear.
The secret is to break the wind,but still have breathable material to prevent sweating as much as possible.

Just suggestions in addition to previous posters.

Cheers/Len
Old 03-07-2015, 14:32   #11

Boat: Nauticat 32

Nothing special, one extra warm layer of clothes, and a good heating system in the cabin. I have enjoyed late autumn sailing in the north a lot (autumn leaves, some mist, sometimes wind, sometimes none at all, cool fresh air, the whole sea and islands just for you).
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 15:03   #12

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I just bought a pair of O'neill farmer john front zip watersports pants and a front zip jacket. Every tool on the boat must fulfill at least two functions... snorkeling? check, paddling in drizzle? check, cold night watches in whitecaps? check, bobbing in the Salish Sea? check...

If you haven't read it, I recommend the book by Erskine Childers, "Riddle of the Sands."
Old 03-07-2015, 15:04   #13

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Kotton Kills!!!

My favourite rig involves merino thermal stuff next to my skin ( all mine is Icebreaker with a bit of Swanndri ) . You can wear it for some time without it ponging... while after awhile polartec will really stink. For outer legs I have North Face polartec fleece pants which can be worn ashore. Just so I don't look too daggy I carry a couple of quick drying shirts for formal wear. Lotsa socks, jocks, a fleece hat thingo that covers my ears, a basic polartec jacket that can be worn under my WWG, and a scarf.... thats the sum total of my wardrobe.... oh and gloves that keep the andi pandis both warm and dry... I have lots of gloves...
Old 03-07-2015, 17:01   #14

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

For 'normal' sailing especially at night have a look at a one piece fiberpile suit, the type divers were under a dry suit. Also available from caving shops. Very warm even when wet but comfortable.
You also say safety clothing, to right, in those water survival times are in min if you are in the water. A good bet is to find a second hand helicopter ditch suit will keep you warm and dry if you have to abandon ship.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 23:41   #15

Boat: Muira, 1981, 30.8 ft

Hi All. Thanks everyone for your input. Lotsa options available here.
I like the idea of layering up with a good water proof foulie over the top. Might offer more options for clothing wear. The north sea trip should take about 5 days..that is the part I am more concerned about. Hopefully we can select a good weather window. The baltic I imagine are short trips...so clothing changes more often. Since this is a once off trip with no future plans for off shore trips, the transport of bulky goods must be considered from South Africa..and when will they be used again. I will consider all your inputs when out shopping and thank you again. By the way...shoes is my delemma right now. Thinking of getting Crocs for the boat..quick to dry off. Any suggestions for lightweight shoes (not wellingtons).

Cheers
aquabrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltic, clothing, safety