Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 20:41   #16

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Safety Gear for Children

You may want to read this book: Kids in the Cockpit, I found it pretty interesting since it discusses how a wide range of long term cruisers approach their children's safety. Everything from French folks that are quite fatalistic to German parents who are very strict. And it covers issues that are specific to cruising -- safety in the dinghy, on passages, and etc.

It's also interesting to see what 'good parenting' looks like projected into the cruising environment. She mentions a few cute games to play with kids while on passage, her approach to cultivate a love for the life in kids, and etc.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 21:30   #17

Boat: Morris Justine 36'

We like the Stohlquist Nemo. Have tried a few other brands. The Nemo has an open back to keep cool. Also read about what drowning looks like--it will scare you
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:00   #18

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5

Msponer---I just came across this book yesterday, definitely going to check it out, sounds helpful.

Thanks for the lifejacket recommendation fecklessdolphin. Since we plan on sailing in warmer climates, an open back sounds like it would be a good option. Unfortunately, I have seen first hand what drowning looks like....not something I ever want to experience again.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:48   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Not knowing how to swim does not "teach you not to fall in."
I guess that just goes to show that we all learn differently.

and whilst no doubt some luck involved in not going glug off the foredeck - especially early doors, there was also quite some degree of skill......not saying that I have retained any of that!, but am probably not quite afeard of the foredeck as some others appear to be - and also not afraid of explaining to the Skipper / Helm that if he wants it done quicker or differently can go up and do for self..........in Anglo-Saxon words .

Of course part of the fun for me and my brother in a storm was in the cabin, as the boat came off a wave we would jump and for a split section float in mid air!.........before either the floor came up suddenly or the ceiling came down on our heads . of course had to careful about going sideways as well. Parents none too impressed with that of course , but that mostly about not breaking bits of boat .

For the sake of clarity: I am not advocating any of this as child rearing tips!, nor saying everything was entirely safe. Likely any kids I had would be treated a bit differently, but at 46 likely (hopefully!) I have missed that boat........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19   #20

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
It only takes an hour to drown proof a toddler. We had 3 sons and I insisted on it.

After I was saved in a motel pool by a guy walking by when I was 8, i taught myself that day.

My oldest was almost 3. I would hold him to my chest, blow in his face, duck under and push him toward the pool ladder.
The distance was 1 stroke at first. He wasn't happy with the process. His 3rd trip up the ladder he was running screaming "help me" to the watchers. 20 minutes later he was begging to dive from the low board.

Pool rules were that you must be able to swim the width of the pool to use the board. He dove from it that day.

My second son took to it like a duck. 10 minutes after we started his lesson was taken over by a couple of bikini clad teens.
He never had an interest in a diving board.

None of us are Olympic Champions but my family can tread water.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:39   #21

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
I am also a fan of teaching a little one to gather tinder, kindling, proper fuel and preparing an area for a cook fire.

I made a bunch of mistakes that I hoped to help my boys to avoid. Mixed results.

Tags
children, gear, safety