Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 19:40   #91

Re: Sea Sickness - Best Preventions

Thorough analytical observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I have tried everything without consistent success. In the southern hemisphere, ginger has never let me down, but it doesn't work worth a squat in the northern. Scopalamine is good, but not fool proof. I have barfed from the sight of undulating eel grass while scuba diving 60' down. Regulator cleared no problem and tons of fish came out of nowhere. Looking at the horizon does nothing for me. Similarly, the food I eat, whether greasy or full of sugar or otherwise, seems to have no effect. Sleep doesn't matter. Beer doesn't diminish the risk, but with the proper dosage, it doesn't bother me as much, I recover more quickly, and have diminished memories of the suffering.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 23:12   #92

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I have tried everything without consistent success. In the southern hemisphere, ginger has never let me down, but it doesn't work worth a squat in the northern. Scopalamine is good, but not fool proof. I have barfed from the sight of undulating eel grass while scuba diving 60' down. Regulator cleared no problem and tons of fish came out of nowhere. Looking at the horizon does nothing for me. Similarly, the food I eat, whether greasy or full of sugar or otherwise, seems to have no effect. Sleep doesn't matter. Beer doesn't diminish the risk, but with the proper dosage, it doesn't bother me as much, I recover more quickly, and have diminished memories of the suffering.
Sounds like you're a good candidate for medical marijuana--its got great anti-emetic properties.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:56   #93

I found Avomine worked very effectively for me. It can make you drowsy and its a preventative rather than a cure. So i take it at night, starting 1 day before leaving. I sleep well and wake up without any drowsiness and so far, no motion sickness.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
916senna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 00:35   #94

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

One poster mentioned the idiosyncratic nature of sea sickness and I strongly agree. However, here is a list of things that we have observed to be effective for a range of people who were aware that they were susceptible to sea sickness.

Vitamin C - 1000mg per day usually delivered using the product Emer'GenC. This approach has worked well both inshore and offshore. There is at least some published scientific evidence regarding the mode of action (histamine suppression) (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25095772). We became aware of it reading this article: http://www.mahina.com/covers/YMseasickness.pdf

Aeromedix wrist bands. These are slightly more sophisticated versions of the pressure point wrist bands. They provide a small electrical impulse to the wrist every few seconds or so. Intensity is adjustable. https://www.aeromedix.com/aeromedix_...and/index.html

The Emerg'GenC approach has worked inshore for people who were particularly prone to motion sickness and who generally avoided being on a boat.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:40   #95

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i'm sure it's been said earlier but i'll say it again

"Sit under a tree"

apart from that, seems to me that no one cure works for everybody, on every boat. for me, on a mono, Sturgeron is fantastic - highly recommend

on the other hand, the different motion on a catamaran means i don't feel sea sick at all.

my wife debbie on the other hand has never felt seasick on a mono, but will occasionally feel quezzy on the cat

go figure

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:54   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by madforboats View Post
Taking the family cruising and for the first time we'll be heading outside of protected waters. My 8yo daughter gets sea sick so I'm looking for opinions on the best ways to handle it.
A few answers I don't need:
"stay on Land (or inside waters)"
"have a beer"
"harden up princess"
I'd like to hear about magnetic bands, tablets etc. and (other than stabilizing the boat) the best options for her in terms of position on board etc.
Cheers
Cold Coca Cola

Seems to refresh your mouth plus it packs a sugar adrenaline Rush

When you think your gonna die you never get seasick
Adrenaline
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:48   #97

Boat: Långedrag 43 ft (corten steel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
.."When you think your gonna die you never get seasick
Adrenaline"

Either that or a shot of pure Vodka on empty stomach. Helps very well, it restore the balance in the belly.
capt_TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:35   #98

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
*Did you know Marmalade was a seasickness remedy? The name comes from Mal de Mer (seasickness in French).

I know I’m late to the party and this may be slightly off-topic, but it seems someone out there disagrees with the quote: https://www.etymonline.com/word/marmalade
Old 08-02-2020, 07:02   #99

I wouldn't give a child scopolamine, meclizine or dimenhydrinate, I ran commercial fishing boats in the Bering Sea and ginger works just fine without the side affects and risk, especially for someone so young.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:45   #100

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

These work great, and there are no drugs involved so safe for all ages:

https://www.reliefband.com/collectio...efband-classic
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:46   #101

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

https://www.reliefband.com/collectio...efband-classic
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:22   #102

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

What worked well for me was, if I felt a little queasy, go stand on the deck and stare at the horizon, that feeling would instantly go away. The motion of the boat is kind of fun, if unpredictable, but once you get your sea legs it is a lot better.
I would stay clear of drugs of any kind for kids, but that is just me. I suppose if they were really miserable I may change my mind on that. Not something I would do before every trip though. Let them toughen up naturally.

They can tolerate the rides at the amusement park, they should be able to handle a little sailing.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:03   #103

On one ocean racer I sailed with , the navigator was a doctor
Before long races he would make all crew report to the doctors office and have their ears cleaned

The doc said plugged ears promote seasickness
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:35   #104
cruiser

I also have seasickness. Last summer my husband and I wanted to go to one island by ship. I was very worried that I might get sick. A few days before the trip on Canada Drugs I found some good ways to improve my trip. I tried not to look out the window, to sit in the direction of the boat, before the trip I drank ginger tea, I didn`t sit on the phone. I also read about nausea medication there. It all really helped me so my husband and I had a good rest
jjuliajul11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 19:05   #105

The scopolamine transdermal patch has worked really well for me. The key is to put it on at least 12 hours before sailing, to give the medicine time to saturate into your blood stream.

I also came across an interesting video regarding using one ear plug in one of your ears.

https://youtu.be/hmQMUdZgIMA

Good luck!
jcinfburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness