Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2014, 11:07   #61
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Seizures and Sailboats. Do They Mix?

sc-
If you are always within 90 minutes (let's say ten to drop the sails and set an anchor, so the net is 80 not 90?) of someplace where you can park the boat, great.
I don't think I'm the only one here who has been more than 80 minutes away from anyplace I can secure the boat. And taking down the sails, setting a drogue, or whatever on open water, doesn't count as "securing" the boat to me.
I love dogs, I give great kudos to service animals, but I've never met a dog that could sail a boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 11:27   #62

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
sc-
If you are always within 90 minutes (let's say ten to drop the sails and set an anchor, so the net is 80 not 90?) of someplace where you can park the boat, great.
I don't think I'm the only one here who has been more than 80 minutes away from anyplace I can secure the boat. And taking down the sails, setting a drogue, or whatever on open water, doesn't count as "securing" the boat to me.
I love dogs, I give great kudos to service animals, but I've never met a dog that could sail a boat.

No argument but coastal sailing I think it's manageable to drop a hook.

SC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 14:33   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

sailcruiser,

It really depends on where you are. There are places where you could do that, but many where it just would not be very possible. The feasibility of dropping and being safe really means being in sheltered waters. The OP was writing about dying at sea. Way different, at least to me.

For instance, between San Francisco and the Channel Islands (off Santa Barbara), it would be very easy to be 3 hrs. away from a safe entry to a harbor, possibly more. IMO, a helper dog might be very good company for him, but he should not be out there skippering in crowded areas. It is a situation fraught with peril for the OP, if he has the seizure and survives, but some children are killed by his out of control boat, imagine the lawsuits and what that would do to his quality of life. This very discussion on CF would be used against him.

Incidentally, I have wondered all along if this were a troll, we're certainly providing an author with lots of dialog and plot twists.

Ann

Tags
sail, sailboat