Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2015, 13:12   #31

Re: Sleeping offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Well, ok then, well paid crews, if that is the majority of the population under the bell curve.
They're not immune to complacency, mistakes or glitches, are they?

With the state of the economy the only lines hauling are the cheap ones, if anyone is hauling anything at all. I don't fancy getting run down by the worst crew in the industry, but I doubt getting squished by the best will feel any different.

I'm not saying the commercials are dopes, or that sailing isn't without risk; but I don't see that solo sailing should be ruled out just because they're alone. There are enough well attended disasters, and incident-free soloists, to show it isn't just numbers.
I'm not disagreeing with your general belief that mariners can be complacent at times but I have to disagree with your assessment of the health of the marine industry. Sailors are well paid AND in short supply. Especially senior officers. There is s severe shortage of ships officers. Navigators and engineers.

Most young people in 2015 are too sissy or too lazy to make a living off the sea. Its just too hard for them, most of them just want a free ride making money on the internet.

So because the supply is low and the demand is high they make very good money and generally only the most degenerate are out of work.

The economy is bad for people who want to make easy money, but not for sailors. Consumerism is alive and getting healthier every day- and people get there stuff from sailors.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 13:36   #32

Boat: OEM, proportional

"There is s severe shortage of ships officers. Navigators and engineers. "

Hmmmm, food for thought. Which, if it leads to something, might mean food for micah. Thanks! Where should I start?
Old 21-07-2015, 13:53   #33

That's the rub, certification can be challenging. You need about 1095 sea days on a commercial vessel- working as a deckhand/oiler is fine- so makeing money the whole time.

Then you have to challenge the exams which are very math heavy and many people struggle with. That gets you a third mates licence. Another 5-10 years working as mate and challenging exams should get you a masters licence.

I have a good friend, in his 30's is captain on a bulk carrier, carrying aggregate- stone, hardly a dangerous or high value cargo. He makes about an even $200 000/year plus pension and benefits. He works 6 weeks on 2 weeks off april- December, in total he works about 6 months a year. Not bad if you're willing to put in the effort.

Old 21-07-2015, 14:03   #34

Boat: OEM, proportional

Hard work and maths don't scare me, but my 42 summers might scare the employers off. Then again, I'm very resistant to seasickness, proven performer under extreme stress, next to no terrestrial ties, and have a beard you could lose a badger in. I'll look closely into this, you've probably started something. Also, how did you get all that snow off your boat in your bio pic?
Old 21-07-2015, 14:08   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Hard work and maths don't scare me, but my 42 summers might scare the employers off. Then again, I'm very resistant to seasickness, proven performer under extreme stress, next to no terrestrial ties, and have a beard you could lose a badger in. I'll look closely into this, you've probably started something. Also, how did you get all that snow off your boat in your bio pic?
Its not that much snow, I have the boat tented in white shrink wrap and there is just a couple of inches of snow on top.

Old 21-07-2015, 19:37   #36

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

There are mental exercises to help one fall asleep. Using them, after practice, lets me fall asleep in under 5 minutes.
If that does not work, I have a season of Keeping up with the Kardashians on my iPad. Two minutes of that usually puts me right out, but for some people, viewing that program does cause suicidal impulses or terminal stupidity.

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 22-07-2015, 04:52   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
If that does not work, I have a season of Keeping up with the Kardashians on my iPad. Two minutes of that usually puts me right out, but for some people, viewing that program does cause suicidal impulses or terminal stupidity.
For me anything beyond few seconds it takes to surf past the channel usually results in violent nausea.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 05:09   #38

Another thought on sleeping, its probably really obvious, but just in case you haven't thought of it is your birth selection is important to a good sleep.

Make sure you choose a fore and aft bunk as close to the longitudinal centre of gravity as possible.

V-births can be hell to sleep in at sea with that repeated feeling of weightlessness and all the crashing and banging.

My last boat had a great seabirth, a large quarter birth right at the bottom of the companionway beside the engine compartment.

Old 23-07-2015, 04:51   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Another thought on sleeping, its probably really obvious, but just in case you haven't thought of it is your birth selection is important to a good sleep.

Make sure you choose a fore and aft bunk as close to the longitudinal centre of gravity as possible.

V-births can be hell to sleep in at sea with that repeated feeling of weightlessness and all the crashing and banging.

My last boat had a great seabirth, a large quarter birth right at the bottom of the companionway beside the engine compartment.

I didn't have any say in my birth, but luckily I might on my berth. Thanks for the advice.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 06:11   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sleeping offshore

The 'Down Side' settee/berth in the salon..
Away from the AP noise, central to the boat and its balance, secure and comfortable.. and near instant access to all compartments/topside..
ALSO...
Severe allergy to knocking myself out in an emergency...

PS; Have on a few occasions slept on the salon floor in extreme conditions.. going to sleep holding on gets old fast..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 06:48   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I didn't have any say in my birth, but luckily I might on my berth. Thanks for the advice.
He he he berth/birth, at least I didn't get port and starboard mixed up.

Old 23-07-2015, 15:21   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
salon floor in extreme conditions.. going to sleep holding on gets old fast..
Lee cloth / board?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 15:58   #43
CLOD

Boat: none

Lot's of times I don't even sleep well at home. So my sleep plan at sea to make sure my wife gets a lot of sleep so when I finally get to point that I can take a nap I know she is well rested to relieve me on watch.

Tags
offshore