Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2023, 13:04   #46
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Solo Sailing: PLB or EPIRB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
The only technical difference between a PLB and an EPIRB is the battery. A PLB only lasts 24 hours, making it smaller so you can keep it on your vest. The EPIRP the battery lasts at least 48 hours, but is larger so it goes in a grab bag or raft.
Apart from the fact an EPIRB must float, a PLB does not have to float.
Many EPIRBs are automatically activated upon immersion.
All PLBs are manually activated.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 13:56   #47

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

The purpose of the DSC in the MOB 1 is to call the VHF *on your own boat*.

So, for example, you are on watch at night and fall overboard. It rings your VHF and wakes up the off watch crew. They use the AIS to go back and find you.

The DSC is important because the range of these things is very low because the antenna is at water level. You’re lucky to get a mile out of it. So it’s critical to raise the alarm and stop the boat from sailing away.
Old 14-02-2023, 14:05   #48

Single handlers should forget about electronic gadgets and figure out how to climb back onto the boat while being dragged at the end of your tether. This will be the critical problem to be faced!

You’re going to need a LOT of upper body strength or something to step on to lift you up high enough to get on to the rail. The higher the freeboard, the bigger the problem.

If you aren’t tethered and fall overboard… whoops, big mistake. Sorry you found tethers were ‘inconvenient’!

Most important is being careful: having good hand holds and using them, having clear side decks and not cluttering them up with junk to trip over, reefing early so you aren’t on deck after the weather goes south, heaving to and going below when things really go to pot…

I normally sail with my wife or adult kids, but when it comes to safety, I sail like a single hander, because the chance of my getting picked up after falling overboard, offshore - even with a MOB 1 (which I have in all our life vests) - is pretty low. And the thought of bobbing around in the dark with a PLB hoping the Coast Guard shows up before something nasty with big teeth does… no thanks!!!

Obviously a life raft/EPIRB combo is critical for real offshore sailing.

Good luck!
Old 14-02-2023, 14:19   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
The purpose of the DSC in the MOB 1 is to call the VHF *on your own boat*.

So, for example, you are on watch at night and fall overboard. It rings your VHF and wakes up the off watch crew. They use the AIS to go back and find you.

The DSC is important because the range of these things is very low because the antenna is at water level. You’re lucky to get a mile out of it. So it’s critical to raise the alarm and stop the boat from sailing away.

In the US, this purpose has been mandated by regulation. In parts of the EU it will send out an all ships distress call. I share your views as to the likely range of reception, but I would much rather see an all ships distress call go out if I am unfortunate enough to be in this situation. This would (i) draw attention on any vessel that has AIS but which has a plotter that does not deal properly with AIS MOB signals (I understand that some older plotters don't handle this well) and (ii) draw attention on any nearby vessel that does not have AIS, but does have DSC (which should be just about everyone at this point).
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 15:04   #50

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Apart from the fact an EPIRB must float, a PLB does not have to float.
Many EPIRBs are automatically activated upon immersion.
All PLBs are manually activated.
Automatic activation is not a requirement for an EPIRB, and many do not. (Mine does not)
My PLB floats, or at least the holster it comes with does, and it wouldn't ever be removed from that.

And while those might be differences, I don't consider them *technical* differences.

Another *minor* difference is the serial number. The serial number of a PLB identifies it as such. And so, while the signal going into space is otherwise the same, the registration form for a PLB is slightly different. Instead of an MMSI number, it is registered to a person.
Old 14-02-2023, 15:09   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
Single handlers should forget about electronic gadgets and figure out how to climb back onto the boat while being dragged at the end of your tether. This will be the critical problem to be faced!

Stay on the Boat! If you go overboard and are attached via tether, you are toast, you already messed up. Even if you're fully crewed, if you had a spinnaker up you are dead before they get the boat stopped. The tether will pin you against the boat with your head underwater.

You MUST setup the jacklines and tethers such that falling off the boat is not possible.
Old 14-02-2023, 15:44   #52

We are on the same page. My main point was don’t depend on electric things with buttons. I personally make my own tethers with 2 and 4 foot legs made from climbing rope and Kong clips. Much better than the too long (IMHO) commercial tethers with cheap clips. Unfortunately, most people will have 6’ tethers that will leave them dragging next to the boat. possibly with some broken ribs or a concussion. And that PLB ain’t gonna help!
Old 14-02-2023, 15:54   #53
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Another *minor* difference is the serial number. The serial number of a PLB identifies it as such. And so, while the signal going into space is otherwise the same, the registration form for a PLB is slightly different. Instead of an MMSI number, it is registered to a person.
EPIRBs do not have to registered to a MMSI, at least not everywhere; maybe they have to be in the USA (??).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 16:51   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
EPIRBs do not have to registered to a MMSI, at least not everywhere; maybe they have to be in the USA (??).
Yes, in the US when you register it with NOAA / SARSAT, the registration form for an EPIRB asks for an MMSI. For a PLB, it doesn't. I was not aware that differed by region. Interestingly, I just logged in to check my registration, and it seems that PLB's now have an MMSI field before. Previously I put the MMSI in the additional information field.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EPIRB.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	271596  
Old 14-02-2023, 17:00   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
In the US, this purpose has been mandated by regulation. In parts of the EU it will send out an all ships distress call. I share your views as to the likely range of reception, but I would much rather see an all ships distress call go out if I am unfortunate enough to be in this situation. This would (i) draw attention on any vessel that has AIS but which has a plotter that does not deal properly with AIS MOB signals (I understand that some older plotters don't handle this well) and (ii) draw attention on any nearby vessel that does not have AIS, but does have DSC (which should be just about everyone at this point).
The most significant advantage of having DSC is that my VHF is loud and that alarm WILL wake someone up, and there is no volume control for it. A chart plotter, not so much.
Old 14-02-2023, 17:41   #56

Boat: Hunter Vision 36

Following this thread has been an education! Am planning an extensive trip (Lake Ontario to Caribbean via St Lawrence and eastern seaboard) starting this summer. Have been looking at MOB technology and with average 2-3 crew MOB 1 (Ocean Signal Rescue me) seemed logical choice - but Canada (which is where boat VHF and MMSI are registered) does not allow DSC configuration! What gives? Why?
Broadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 17:55   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadman View Post
Following this thread has been an education! Am planning an extensive trip (Lake Ontario to Caribbean via St Lawrence and eastern seaboard) starting this summer. Have been looking at MOB technology and with average 2-3 crew MOB 1 (Ocean Signal Rescue me) seemed logical choice - but Canada (which is where boat VHF and MMSI are registered) does not allow DSC configuration! What gives? Why?

Canada does not allow you to program it to send a DSC distress call to the mother ship? That sort of defeats the whole purpose of having DSC and would make the choice simpler -- go with the PLB with AIS.

In the US and parts of the EU, I believe the concern has been the high volume of accidental signals from people setting off the device when they don't mean to, so they limited the DSC function to notifying the mother ship.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 21:37   #58

Boat: Hunter 380

Lots of good info, many good COAs proposed and a bit of duf Gen passed along as well.

Coastal day sailing or overnight solo passages? Do you have a liferaft which contains an epirb or just a dinghy? If you only have one device, get an epirb. PLBs do not work unless elevated out of the water, same with an inreach. As a second device, I'd get an inreach over a PLB due to previously mentioned ability to request a tow, fuel, etc.... via 2 way text messages.

As for response speed, nothing beats an epirb. In many cases the rescue is spooled up while an investigation is conducted. With an inreach, sometimes it takes a bit more time to figure out which agency needs to be contacted, depending on where you are and what information you placed in your file. The epirb (and plb) goes straight to the coast guard. The epirb also transmits a homing signal to the rescue crew. If you drift with an inreach, there is always a delay in getting your latest position to rescuers.
cram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 12:46   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
Lots of good info, many good COAs proposed and a bit of duf Gen passed along as well.

Coastal day sailing or overnight solo passages? Do you have a liferaft which contains an epirb or just a dinghy? If you only have one device, get an epirb. PLBs do not work unless elevated out of the water, same with an inreach. As a second device, I'd get an inreach over a PLB due to previously mentioned ability to request a tow, fuel, etc.... via 2 way text messages.

As for response speed, nothing beats an epirb. In many cases the rescue is spooled up while an investigation is conducted. With an inreach, sometimes it takes a bit more time to figure out which agency needs to be contacted, depending on where you are and what information you placed in your file. The epirb (and plb) goes straight to the coast guard. The epirb also transmits a homing signal to the rescue crew. If you drift with an inreach, there is always a delay in getting your latest position to rescuers.
I disagree with the assessment that if you only get one, get an epirb over a PLB. If you are inshore or coastal, get a PLB. The battery life won't matter if you're coastal, but having it on your person might make a difference if you fall overboard and your epirb is still on the boat.

Do you have any information supporting the claim that an EPIRB is faster than an inreach? There have been a few high profile cases in the Caribbean where a sailor was lost because of uncertainty which agency was supposed to respond, and none did. EPIRP activations do not go directly to the Coast Guard, they go to SARSAT and are then forwarded to the correct agency.

Because PLBs and EPIRBS are the same thing, they both have the same need to be out of the water, really just on the surface. If you have ever been in the water with an inflatable vest, and a PLB mounted inside it, the PLB is out of the water without need to lift it.

I've no idea what is actually better, and inreach or 406MHz beacon (EPRIB or PLB), I choose an EPIRB. But I have seen no definitive information to show that it is actually better/faster than an inreach.
Old 15-02-2023, 13:16   #60

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
In the US and parts of the EU, I believe the concern has been the high volume of accidental signals from people setting off the device when they don't mean to, so they limited the DSC function to notifying the mother ship.
The FAQ on the product info page lists the various options, since there are a variety of them. Often the "all ships" DSC call is either absent, delayed by 30 minutes, or requires a manual operation.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb, sail, sailing