Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2023, 13:30   #61

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: Solo Sailing: PLB or EPIRB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
The CG’s response to a Mayday is focused on saving lives not boats. If the CG sends a helicopter, you will be taken off your boat and it will be set adrift. Your boat is then likely be towed in by a salvor who will charge your insurance company tens of thousands of dollars for the salvage.

A typical EPIRB or PLB rescue takes up to two hours to launch because the CG first telephones the contacts in the EPIRB database to make sure it isn’t a false alarm. 95% of EPIRB activations are false alarms so the CG doesn’t want to risk first responder lives is a needless and expensive rescue attempt. With the InReach they can confirm it’s not a false alarm just by texting you back for more details.
While they are indeed focused on saving lives, I think the rumors that "they'll make you leave your boat" arose after they took someone off a boat that was in no condition to continue, and the rescuee was in a bit of denial. If you're especially remote, often the nearest resource may be a diverted cargo ship.

I do agree that two-way communication is very important, which is one reason I have an inReach.

Regarding the launch time, I believe the "phoning contacts" happens in parallel with spinning up rescue resources. However, going back a few years there was an additional issue: it could take two hours to get a confirmed location. That might be because you needed to wait for multiple satellite passes to narrow down the location, or because you needed at least one satellite pass to confirm the transmitted coordinates if the EPIRB had GPS aboard. The current satellite setup reduces that time considerably, and locations should generally be pinned down to within 5 km, within 10-20 minutes.

Which brings me to the other key distinction between an inReach and a PLB: search aircraft can home directly on the 406 MHz signal. With the inReach you're having to deal with coordinates from the last time it transmitted, relayed from the rescue center to the USCG to the search assets, and depending on how fast the hand-offs are done it could mean eyeballing lots of empty ocean once in the general area.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 16:22   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
The FAQ on the product info page lists the various options, since there are a variety of them. Often the "all ships" DSC call is either absent, delayed by 30 minutes, or requires a manual operation.
Here is the information from the FAQ on the MOB1. In many jurisdictions an "all ships" call is not possible. Note that the "group" call allowed in the US is NOT the same thing. This also confirms the post above about no DSC permitted at all in Canada (or in Denmark or Latvia).

The DSC functionality of the MOB1 is limited by regulations in each country. The list below indicates which functions you may expect.

AIS only: Canada, Denmark, Latvia
AIS + DSC Individual Distress Relay call plus group call sent after 30minutes: USA
AIS + DSC Individual Distress Relay call only: France, Germany, Netherlands, Spain, United Kingdom
AIS + DSC Individual Distress Relay, All Ships Distress Alert (manual initiation only): All other European countries
AIS + DSC Individual Distress Relay, All Ships Distress Alert, sent once on MOB1 activation and on manual initiation: Rest of the World.
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 16:39   #63

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
Note that the "group" call allowed in the US is NOT the same thing.
Thanks for catching that!

I entered "003669999" for the group DSC call on mine, which covers USCG coast stations. In theory "009990000" should be valid for all coast stations internationally, but I have not tested it.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 20:43   #64

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Thanks for catching that!

I entered "003669999" for the group DSC call on mine, which covers USCG coast stations. In theory "009990000" should be valid for all coast stations internationally, but I have not tested it.
Doesn't using the USCG group call exclude your own vessel from receiving the DSC message? Unless you add that group to your radio, which probably isn't a good idea.
Old 15-02-2023, 21:07   #65

Boat: Hunter 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
... Do you have any information supporting the claim that an EPIRB is faster than an inreach?
I've responded to both as a primary SAR asset. With a PLB/EPIRB/ELT, the nearest JRCC is notified in about 2-3 minutes of beacon activation. With an Inreach, it can take 5-30 minutes for IERCC to figure out which agency they will send the info to. IERCC does not own/operate rescue assets. Your local JRCC has direct access to task vessels and aircraft.

With an EPIRB/PLB/ELT, JRCC has live and direct access to any movement of your beacon. This is not the case with IERCC, they need to keep providing updates to JRCC, police, GSAR or other agencies.

Quote:
There have been a few high profile cases in the Caribbean where a sailor was lost because of uncertainty which agency was supposed to respond, and none did. EPIRP activations do not go directly to the Coast Guard, they go to SARSAT and are then forwarded to the correct agency.
Same can happen with an Inreach, depending on where in the world you are.

Typically if you have a Canadian or US registered beacon, our JRCCs will follow up with the responsible JRCC wherever you are in the world.

There's an automated data interchange between the ground segment of the COSPAS SARSAT system. ie: the distress signal is automatically routed to the most appropriate MCC or JRCC. In some cases (no GPS position) it is possible to have 2 positions, until more satellite passes occur. This is usually resolved in 20-30 minutes, but again only if your integrated GPS receiver is degraded.

https://skybrary.aero/sites/default/...shelf/4340.pdf

Some parts of the world don't respond to the same standard or just don't have capability to respond effectively or quickly. Brazil is responsible up to about 2/3 of the way to Africa .... how long till they can respond?

https://mapsontheweb.zoom-maps.com/p...ia-reddit-more

Because PLBs and EPIRBS are the same thing, they both have the same need to be out of the water, [/quote]

That's incorrect. They use the same satellite system but have very different operation and certification parameters, including floatation, battery duration, and abiltiy to transmit while in the water. PLB: good for land. EPIRB: what you want if you are in the water, on a liferaft, etc....

You can access the technical specs for each beacon type here: https://www.cospas-sarsat.int/en/doc...stem-documents

Quote:
I've no idea what is actually better, and inreach or 406MHz beacon (EPRIB or PLB), I choose an EPIRB. But I have seen no definitive information to show that it is actually better/faster than an inreach.
Better is subjective. For life an death situations there is no doubt that if you are on the water, EPIRB is the best choice. If you want to be able to let your wife know you are day late or are safe but ran out of fuel then an Inreach fits the bill.

IMHO, in order of procurement priority if operating out of sight of land, solo, etc. If you are sailing solo, I'm assuming you are always attached to the boat while on deck and you've practiced getting back onboard if pushed overboard and are still attached to boat (hint: it ain't easy!).

1) EPIRB
2) Satellite communicator

EPIRBs are free to own, but battery replacement is about 150-200 every 5-6 years. Battery operation time is guaranteed.

Satellite communicators needs monthly subscriptions on the order of 10-30$/month. There's also no guarantee how long it will operate in an emergency.

I don't know of any inflatable lifejackets that have a built-in 406 Mhz PLB with automatic activation.... that would be the ideal for a solo sailor. Note that some manufacturers use the "PLB" label for AIS SARTs or beacons that only have 121.5Mhz. Only 121.5 is useless as it is not monitored by satellites. Maybe there's something out there? I'd love to see it...

If you have any questions about how EPIRB/PLB/ELTs work let me know and I'll get the answers from a MCC Officer in Charge.

Remember: you need to buy the EPIRB/PLB/ELT in the country where you intend to register it. It is possible to have the hex code reprogrammed, but it's going to cost you $$$. AND it needs to be registered (for free in most countries).
cram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 21:14   #66

Boat: Hunter 380

Quote:
Which brings me to the other key distinction between an inReach and a PLB: search aircraft can home directly on the 406 MHz signal. With the inReach you're having to deal with coordinates from the last time it transmitted, relayed from the rescue center to the USCG to the search assets, and depending on how fast the hand-offs are done it could mean eyeballing lots of empty ocean once in the general area.
Great point! We (either aircraft, ground party or ship) will normally home in on the 121.5 Mhz continuous analogue signal in the short strokes. The 406 Mhz is a digital data burst every 50 ish seconds. Modern receivers can pick up the lat/long from the 406 emission or point a needle to the 121.5 continuous signal.

In Canada, if you are a licensed private pilot, NavCanada recommends that you keep your inreach/spot login and password on file with them so that in the event of a search, JRCC can access your beacon location directly without going through the IERCC.

You should make sure that anyone you provide a sail plan to has this information as well as it cuts down some of the red tape.

The EPIRB will operate continuously for at least 48 hrs in most temperatures. If you drop it, it floats and keeps transmitting. Even if you get separated from it, at least it provides rescuers a datum to commence an expanding square search. The inreach or spot or satellite communicator is dependent upon it's state of charge when you activated it. Could be 1 hr, could be 7 days....
cram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb, sail, sailing