Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2009, 15:30   #31

Smile BEST ANCHOR MADE

I HAVE BEEN USING MY SPADE AL 200 ANCHOR FOR OVER 7 YEARS AND IT HAS NEVER DRAGGED. I AM A LICENSED CAPTAIN WHO OWNS A 58 FOOT SAILBOAT WITH OVER 50,000 MILES. RECENTLY I NOTICED THAT MY SPADE ANCHOR HAD SHOWN SIGNS OF ELECTROLYSIS. I EMAILED THE CURRENT OWNER AND SENT A PHOTO SHOWING THE PROBLEM.

THE OWNER OF SPADE IMMEDIATELY OFFERED TO REPLACE THE $2,000 ANCHOR AT NO COST TO ME OTHER THAT FREIGHT. THIS DESPITE THE FACT THAT HE WAS NOT THE OWNER WHEN I PURCHASED THE ANCHOR.

HE HAS ASSURED ME THAT THE ELECTROLYSIS PROBLEM HAD BEEN CURED SEVERAL YEARS AGO BUT AFTER MY ANCHOR HAD BEEN BUILT.

I REALLY APPRECIATE HIS INTEGRETY AND WILLINGNESS TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE.

MY BOAT HAS BEEN ANCHORED IN UP TO 60 KNOTS WITHOUT DRAGGING. I SLEEP VERY WELL WITH THIS ANCHOR AND 1/2 INCH CHAIN.

BOB
rjleaf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 09:45   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard Bob.
Thanks for sharing your excellent experience with Spade.
FYI: Using all CAPS is considered “shouting” and is generally frowned upon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 11:18   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjleaf13 View Post

HE HAS ASSURED ME THAT THE ELECTROLYSIS PROBLEM HAD BEEN CURED SEVERAL YEARS AGO BUT AFTER MY ANCHOR HAD BEEN BUILT.

BOB
This is an old thread, but I was interested to hear about the electrolysis problem. I have been meaning to post some photos showing spade anchors with corrosion near the base where the shank slots in. The anchors don't show any corrosion elsewhere.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 14:50   #34

Boat: MJM 50 Z
Can't resit this one. After reading about "Deep Blue" and using a spade myself for a couple of years.
My re-creation goes like this. The pin fell out before the anchor went in the water, maybe the nut wasn't tight, maybe the pin wasn't installed at all?
The only way that the shank could separate from the spade part is in free fall to the bottom. Once the anchor hooks up, there is no way that those pieces will come apart.
So-- they dropped a shank on the bottom and never set it or checked it. Then they want somebody else to pay for poor seamanship?

I have seen this- a sailor throws out the anchor, cleats it and goes below,drifts a HALF MILE. He does this THREE times. Then finally picks up a $20 mooring on a 5000 lb block.

People do silly things. These same things can kill .
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 16:02   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander40 View Post
Can't resit this one. After reading about "Deep Blue" and using a spade myself for a couple of years.
Spade now supply a nyloc nut and a split pin to retain the shank. That has got to be safe. I have trusted my life to aircraft controls that were less well secured.
The original post was from 2004 when they only used a nyloc nut which was less satisfactory, particularly if the nyloc nut was reused. No one can tell if the tragic loss of the boat was due to operator error, or falure of the nyloc nut, but you have got to have some simpathy for the poor fellow who lost everything. However, I cannot see how that is possible with the current Spade.
The dismountable shank reduces transport costs and makes storage in the bilge much easier, but I think the design causes some corrosion problems.
Old 03-04-2009, 23:05   #36
Marine Service Provider

The corrosion issue is well over. It dates back many years. Basically it was a lead/Alloy interaction thing when in salt water. The lead is now sealed in resin so water can't get at it.

But as Alloy is or can be an anode it does pay to keep an eye on the Alloy ones. We've not seen anything spooky for years now.

The steel ones are no worries.

That Deep Blue incident still comes up and sadly most quote the somewhat pissed off owner. The NZ Maritime Safety Authority (MSA) has a full report on it. About the only thing MSA could come up with is either a total failure of the Nut or lack of putting it on properly. The retrieved parts of the anchor showed zero signs of any loads being applied which would suggest 'the head just fell off', which could only happen if there was a bolt/nut issue.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 00:02   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
The corrosion issue is well over.
Did you see my photo of the rusty spade. I woulld be interested in your opinion.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ade-24918.html
Old 04-04-2009, 00:19   #38
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Did you see my photo of the rusty spade. I woulld be interested in your opinion.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ade-24918.html
Replied on that thread. Gets messy otherwise.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor