Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 08:13   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Spiders on Boat

While I won't have a cat aboard, they will prey upon anything small enough.
I had a cat when we lived in Texas, she played hell with the local tarantula population.
You don't want to open your closet and have one of those things jump out, trust me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 08:27   #17

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Be careful if you decide to use chemical pesticides.

1) They are often incredibly toxic to marine life. Even tiny quantities in water (and i do mean tiny) can cause widespread death.

2) Spiders are generally much more sensitive to pesticides than the pest species, such as roaches, ants, termites, flies, mosquitos etc. so you may end up making the situation worse by killing all the spiders and then having nothing to keep the other populations in check. The answer to this problem is NOT to use even more pesticides, as the pest species will then develop a resistance very quickly indeed.

Provided there are not hundreds (or thousands!) of them and that they are not a species that is capable of doing you actual bodily harm i would leave the spiders well alone and let them do their thing. If there are hundreds of them, ask yourself why there are hundreds of them in the first place! They must have a food source............
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 08:30   #18

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

I heard it said the spiders on a boat was assign of good luck! Anyway I do not mind spiders on the boat as long as they stay on the exterior. If they venture inside I usually try to caught them and release them out side. Especially in the summer when the flies, nats, mosquitoes are out.

In the summer time we have a bug zapper hung from the boom which attract flying insects and stick strips hung where they tend to hang out. We also have a fan pointed at the salon door as its said they will not fly though fast moving are.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 08:36   #19

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Haven't seen a spider inside the boat since I took someone's advice and put a couple of mothballs inside. Also had good luck spraying the critters with ant & roachkiller as they descend into the cockpit from their hiding places in the bimini at night. They like to hang out where the bimini frame enters the bimini and I spray there about once a month. I'd rather not kill them, but when one dropped into the Admiral's rum & coke, that was it for her. Happy wife on boat = happy life on boat.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 13:36   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
so you may end up making the situation worse by killing all the spiders and then having nothing to keep the other populations in check.

Provided there are not hundreds (or thousands!) of them and that they are not a species that is capable of doing you actual bodily harm i would leave the spiders well alone and let them do their thing. If there are hundreds of them, ask yourself why there are hundreds of them in the first place! They must have a food source............
Exactly!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 14:05   #21

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Do an internet search on "diatomaceous earth". Food-grade diatomaceous earth is non-toxic to mammals and fish, but kills all kinds of bugs. You can even mix it with rice and grains to kill larvae that might grow (I read that but haven't tried it). I sprinkle it around the edges of kitchen counters and behind cabinets, and it stops ant invasions within a few days. I sprinkle it around to keep spiders and other bugs in check in my unfinished basement also. A 5 pound bag is around $10 (prices vary) on Amazon.

All that said, it's not a repellant nor instant cure, but it does create a hostile environment for bugs.

PS -- the only caution is (like any silica dust) don't breath it.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 14:42   #22

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanphoto View Post
I dock my boat in a slip (dock) and there there is an abundance of spiders. How do you keep bugs off your boat?

Get out of the slip and onto a mooring. On the Connecticut River, dockside spiders are a common occurrence and nuisance. It can take a long time to get rid of them and it's a battle that can't be won. Forget the poison... Move away from the dock - Spiders make a quick mess of a boat.
Old 28-04-2014, 14:48   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Spiders on Boat

As long as its not a recluse.. a widow.. or one of those little Aussie ones that hide in the loo and bite yer nutz... they're fine by me..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:29   #24

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
As long as its not a recluse.. a widow.. or one of those little Aussie ones that hide in the loo and bite yer nutz... they're fine by me..
The dreaded Butt spider!!! Aren't spiders why its bad luck to bring bananas on a boat?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:39   #25

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I had a terrible time with spiders here in the PNW before I went cruising. Once underway they disappeared, and for 15 years I had no problems. Literally as soon as I returned to the US the battle began. My conclusion: go cruising and leave the USA.

Now I spray Home Defense on the dock lines and around the hatches to discourage the invaders. I also moved out from the shore a bit as they do get around my defenses by abseiling off the cottonwoods along the shore.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 15:45   #26

Boat: Valiant 42

Spiders congregate where there is light at night. They will set up webs in the path of bugs "going into the light". Too many marinas have excessive lighting that attracts flying insects which in turn attract spiders. The spiders' night time feast ends up on the deck every morning as black spots. Typically these are not browns or recluse as these are much more agoraphobic.

Convincing the marina to turn off unnecessary lights might help. Some of us have been known to unscrew certain light bulbs in the interest of global warming. The reduction is spiders was just a nice side benefit.

Boaty, you need to stay out of any loo infested with bugs. Then the spiders won't be there.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 17:23   #27
P27

Boat: Precision P27

Try spider kill II by clipped marine Cleveland OH. I purchased mine at my marine on Chautauqua lake VERY effective
P27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 17:24   #28
P27

Sorry meant to say clipped marine
Old 28-04-2014, 17:33   #29
P27

Trying again can't type worth a darn on touch screen it is clipper marine
Old 28-04-2014, 17:49   #30

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Is this the right product?

http://spiderkill.com/

If so you might want to read the MSDS. Highly toxic to many things like fish and bees.

http://spiderkill.com/ClipperSpiderK...-440-44330.pdf

Too toxic IMHO.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote