Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2008, 14:03   #31
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
So that is how you spell "Vuarnets".... the name has worn off on mine

BTW ...What about how the lens coating is applied Is that important?
For UVA and UVB there should not be a coating at all. Those should be inherent to the lens.

The coating is typically done for the polarization. Oakley uses a layer that is put into the lens mold and is actually a part of the lens, rather than a coating that can fall off later on. It's not "stuck on", it's "layered in", akin to a layer in a fiberglass layup.

No, I don't have stock.. ha ha I have just been using the products since the late 80's.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 14:27   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Oakley dropped their original clever slogan just as I was getting it: "Thermonuclear protection" I think it was? Referring somewhat elliptically to how the SUN is fired.

Coatings are mainly for anti-reflective or anti-scratch purposes. Neither holds up long if you ever clean your glasses while there are salt crystals on them, I'd rather have materials that are harder, and forget the antireflective stuff. The good AR coatings are damned pricey, and still can be scratched. Better to worry about "Can I see clearly through these?"

Glass generally blocks UV, untreated plastic won't.
Choosing sunglasses: Is UV protection important? - MayoClinic.com
If the glasses don't say "UV ##%" on them, odds are they aren't protecting you from much.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 14:47   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Glass generally blocks UV, untreated plastic won't.
Choosing sunglasses: Is UV protection important? - MayoClinic.com
If the glasses don't say "UV ##%" on them, odds are they aren't protecting you from much.

And worse yet... if you have a cheap pair of sunglasses that has questionable UV protection, it will actually damage your eyes more than wearing no sunglasses at all.

Why?

Your iris will open up more, thinking the bright light has gone away, allowing even more UVs in. Very bad...

"Thermonuclear Protection"... ha ha. I think I had a sticker on one of my early snowboards that said that.
Old 19-06-2008, 15:20   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I couldn't read some LCD displays with polarized lenses.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 15:24   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy daugherty View Post
I couldn't read some LCD displays with polarized lenses.
Tilt your head toward 90 degrees. Presto!

I have the same issue with my navigation computer's LCD display. I can't always see it well from an angle if I don't cock my head to the side a bit.

In reality, 10 degrees is plenty
Old 19-06-2008, 15:27   #36

Boat: Morgan 44 - Alert
Try Rudy Project sunglasses

I've been wearing them for years. I have prescription inserts, and flip up lenses!

Rudy Project USA - The Official Web Site for Rudy Project North America

https://lat43north.blogspot.com
pjbsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 00:51   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I love polarized. But can never find any dark enough for the light reflecting off the sea. I have bought a sport glass set that has clear lens's and an amber and a Dark grey. I lik Dark grey because the colours you see remain more natural. But good glasses are expensive, at least here they are. A good set can range from $100 upto $500, which is what I had to pay for my prescription Adidas versions. But they are down on the bottom at the mo, long story and I don't need prescription at the mo, which is another long story. However, just yesterday I stumbled across a set that was right under my nose. Welding glasses. A light welding shade of 3 I think they were and it turns out they have Bolle lenses. A sum total of $28.00. Great wrap around protection and of course, highly resistant to UV for welding safety. Makes you wonder if we are being ripped off in regards to sunglasses eh.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 00:59   #38

Boat: Trismus 37
Alan were the welding glasses from NZIG / BOC ?
Another question and thread drift, I looked at picture of the small boat that did, do you know if he had to have cat 1 or even clear out from NZ to go that far south ??
Is there a cat 1 for motor boats ??
Steve.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 03:00   #39

here in OZ we have a brand that is certified by the anti cancer council. Not designer. Not super cheap. ($30Aus)any body who is paying more than $50 bucks is more interested in brand name than safety. polarising with the most important feature of a wrap around that stops sunlight from coming sideways.They are available in a number of styles, tints , and colours. They dont compromise fashion/ eye damage........expensive sunglasses are like expensive shoes......
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 03:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
Is there a cat 1 for motor boats?
Well not in the International Sailing Federation Offshore Special regulations Cat 1, of course, but powered pleasure vessel requirements for clearance for an international voyage are included as in the Yachting NZ corruption of "Cat 1" . Those are now available on the Yachting NZ web site - look for "Yachting New Zealand Safety Regulations" and powered vessels are covered in the section "Motor Yachts Departing New Zealand".

John
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 03:32   #41

Other places to look for good sun glasses are industrial safety shops and cyclist gear shops.

Some of the safety ones are quite good styles and wrap around AND cheap for the quality of some of them - I have a pair which I used travelling away visiting shipyards where could be inside with welding flashes, then outside in the sun then maybe going for a boat ride all within a day. Not ultra fashionable but good stuff.

Cyclist sun glasses as made by the likes of Tifosi (which I use for cycling and, as well as others, for sailing) do 100% UVA and UVB with choice of polarised as well. Good wrap around if wanted and designed to keep the wind out too.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 05:06   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Always choose sunglasses that are labeled as blocking 99-100% of UV rays. Some manufacturers’ labels say “UV absorption up to 400nm.” This is the same thing as 100% UV absorption. To be effective sunglasses need to block at least 98% UVA, and 99% UVB.

Australia developed a “Standard” (AS/NZS 1067) for sunglasses, which uses an Eye Protection Factor (EPF 10 is best). In North America look for “Special Purpose” labeling.

Sunglasses that wrap around the temples prevent the sun’s rays from entering from the sides. Some studies have shown that enough UV rays enter around standard sunglass frames to reduce the protective benefits of the lenses.

Sunglasses should screen out 75-90% of visible light. To determine if a pair is dark enough, try the glasses on in front of a mirror. If you can see your eyes easily through the lenses, they probably are too light.

Look for a uniform tint, not darker in one area than in another. To check for imperfections in the lenses, hold the glasses at arm’s length and then look through them at a straight line in the distance, such as the edge of door. Slowly move the lens across the line. If the straight edge distorts, sways, curves or moves, the lens is flawed.

Polarized lenses cut reflected glare—when sunlight bounces off smooth surfaces like pavement or water. Polarization is unrelated to UV protection, so you still need to ensure UV absorption of the lenses.

Mirrored metallic coatings can reduce the amount of visible light entering the eyes. They are popular in high-glare environments and when combined with the wraparound feature, they can even provide added protection to the skin surrounding the eye area. UV protection, however, is not guaranteed.

See also:
It's Your Health - Sunglasses

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 05:16   #43
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I used Serengettis during my entire stay at the airlines cockpit and during all those years I witnessed how most pilots switched to them as they are superb for glare and fog penetration, lenses are made by Corning optics, they also do space shuttle crew lenses and the frames are made by Serengetti themselves.

You can find various models and discount prices on eBay.

Final note, many times the lenses of my Serengettis allowed me to spot critical targets such runways during bad weather very easily, I highly recommend this brand.

I hope t
Old 20-06-2008, 15:45   #44

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
Bought a pair at Costco today. First impression is pretty good.
Old 20-06-2008, 16:04   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleinamessage View Post
Bought a pair at Costco today. First impression is pretty good.
Cool. I've been using mine for about 4 months now and I think they're terrific, especially for the price. I'm gonna pick up another pair.... one for the boat, one for driving/other.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote