Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2018, 03:30   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Tether Clip Update - Practical Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
If wire is stepped on it rolls under foot while flat webbing does not. This was the reason for a change to webbing.
On the other hand, webbing will slide on the deck if you step on it and it stretches. It can limit installation options but I have always been able to install a wire line where it won't or can't be stepped on. If the boat has wide side decks and you use a short tether to avoid going under the lines you can install wire where the deck meets the cabin trunk.

Haven't installed lines yet on the current boat but there's hand rails on the top of the cabin and might install wires port and stbd alongside the rails.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:03   #17

Boat: Tartan 37

The sun puts a beating on Jack Lines. We twist yours already, when windy they can start flapping, I hate noise on deck. But why not use Dyneema Line for Jack lines. Could go smaller and Dyneema seems to have some flatness to in, so not as bad roll hazard. Plus we keep our as close to the centerline as possible. Sun resistant is much better than nylon. The no stretch, seems to be a benefit to keeping your butt on the boat. I know nylon webbing is the go to jack line material, but I'm really looking at changing. We use homemade teaders, I didn't like the hooks available and only have two points, don't need third leg. One clip-in cockpit to bow. The clips need to be very easy and positive. Had a friend had trouble clipping in. Got hit by a wave and went over the side of a racing boat at night going 18 knots and was separated by 2-1/2 miles from the boat. Lucky his was a good story.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:49   #18

Boat: Valiant 42

Dyneema inside polyester webbing is a decent compromise. If the jack line runs fore and aft then for me the low stretch of the Dyneema is a bonus. Nylon or poly webbing stretches too much for us.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 14:02   #19

from : https://www.clipperroundtheworld.com...hers-from-maib

Quote:
The MAIB (Marine Accident Investigation Branch) has issued a Safety Bulletin today on the “use of safety harness tethers on sailing yachts” – this has been produced for marine safety purposes only as guidance for the maritime industry and contains lessons learnt from the tragic fatality of CV30 crew member Simon Speirs on Leg 3 of the Clipper 2017-18 Race

https://assets.publishing.service.go...f/SB1_2018.pdf
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 15:30   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

I wonder if the pic is of the actual clip that failed or a test one?

The victim was working the foredeck. Was the cleat that trap the tether a forward cleat or an aft cleat?
Old 09-01-2018, 16:16   #21
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I wonder if the pic is of the actual clip that failed or a test one?

The victim was working the foredeck. Was the cleat that trap the tether a forward cleat or an aft cleat?
In fact, it is not even the same model (I've seen pics of the failed clip). The clip that failed was a Spinlock Race hook. I think this is a Spinlock hook, but an older model (the Spinlock Race has a plastic latch).

The bow layout is a bit odd in that there are two forward bow cleats and a third in the center, about 30 inches aft. I believe the thinking is that it got trapped under this third bow cleat, which the jackline was not actually connected to, if that makes sense. My understanding is that no one actually saw this, it is merely the most plausible explanation. There are several possibilities, but they all cause failure at about the same force.
Old 09-01-2018, 17:05   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
If wire is stepped on it rolls under foot while flat webbing does not. This was the reason for a change to webbing.
For decades I have used neither webbing nor wire, but low stretch line. I have never rolled my foot on it, and I have never become inadvertently clipped, it's really strong, and yes, I have spent a lot of time using a harness.

In fact, I used to keep my jacklines permanently rigged, with a tether on the lifelines on either side of the cockpit, just so I would never have an excuse not to clip in.

Actually my most frightening moment regarding this sort of gear came after a sudden violent storm in the Sea of Cortez, called a Torrito. It's sort of like a Chubasco, only worse and occurs during the summer on the eastern side. This one was near Guaymas and I had 60 knots for several hours preceded and followed by the usual night time summer calm. Ashore, many windows were blown out.

Anyway, my favourite harness was also an inflatable PFD, very comfortable and high quality (and expensive) which I bought because it was the same model used by most in the old Whitbread Race. After I made port after my unexpected storm, it needed a good rinse, so I took the chance to test it by blowing it up, which I did from time to time. Imagine my surprise to find one entire seam rotted!

It's a good thing I was clipped on and stayed onboard...and the harness was twelve years old, at the time, but very well cared for....so, when was the last time you did an inflation test on your inflatable PFD?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, sail