Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 22:30   #1
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tether with safety shackles?

Somehow my tether has gone walkabout and I need to replace it. It was about two meters of flat tubing with a large metal safety shackle at each end. Not a carabiner or snap hook, but a hook with a safety bar in the center, so that you have to swing the safety bar before the main gate will open.

Havin seen plain 'biners and snap hooks open themselves simply by spinning around a taught line, I only want safety shackles. And can't for the life of me remember what brand mine were.

I know, it sounds impossible, but if you've ever seen it happen, it is a quick trick to learn, flip-flip, and the snap is off the safety line. No thanks, the safety bar doesn't get in the way once your fingers learn it.

What I've found online is this, with Spinlock shackles from apsltd.com . ("Y" tether, and elastic, I'm going to modernize while I'm at it.)

Not that it matters but the safety bars were blue on mine.

Anyone have anything similar to recommend?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:22   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Tether with safety shackles?

What you show on one end and Wichard quick release snap shackle with a safety bar on the other end would be a nice set-up.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Apparently the "new" (perhaps Wichard?) shackles are using an outside safety "cam" opposite the gate, so they have to be gripped to open. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad, although the new Wichard catalog shows some clips that may or may not be on the market yet and are supposed to be lighter. Light is good, that's one reason I'd be just as happy to have the tether tied into my harness without a third metal shackle on it. A loop of enough for me, it can be "quick released" with a blade.

In another place there was mention that West issued a recall on their qr shackles/harnesses after one reader had a failure with one, the newer "external" safety style. Time to eyeball a few and see what's changed in recent years.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:46   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

I have a couple of those "new " kind. You have to remember to grip the release first. I can't do it every time. arg! I switched out my end and have a halyard shackle now. I'm not sure you could get one of the new style off under load because of their hook nature.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 15:13   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

We have similar just another hook where the loop is (hook to harness, not loop to harness).

I find the hook easier to open in the dark and one handed than the snap-shackle alternative.

What I like about the loop way it is light and quiet so would be my preference in good weather, at night, etc.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety