Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2013, 17:36   #46

This might seem a bit silly but do any of you diver/snorkellers carry any anti venom? The idea of being able to snorkel everyday in these amazing remote reefs is one of the big draws of cruising for me. Just wonder what you guys do about all of the poisonous critters down there
islander20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 17:56   #47

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Top Five Threats? Top Ten?

I really don't think it is a top five threat, but I still find it somewhat nervewracking to be steaming along on a black night with practically no visibility and absolutely no chance of dodging something like a barely awash log or floating container.

The biggest threat in reality is probably an onboard fire due to something going wrong. Some pretty good friends came back from diving only to find their boat burned to the waterline and sunk--they don't know why. Some other friends woke up in the middle of the night with the boat filled with choking black smoke due to an electrical fire--almost lost the boat. I had a loose wire fall down on the engine block while running, short out, and carry lots of amps down the line long enough to burn through a spare sail and do some other damage. Another time I was drilling a hole in a bulkhead and went through where the drill bit penetrated a battery cable and shorted it to the other battery post--stupid, I know! Almost instantly the boat was filled with smoke and sizzling wires. And, another time I did the classic of dropping a long crescent wrench across the battery posts, which nearly welded itself in place. And, then I've had a battery internally short in the middle of the night offshore while motoring. Lots of potential problems with electricity and fire onboard.
Old 14-01-2013, 18:40   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Biggest threat is the phrase..."yes dear".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 19:01   #49

No wind, no transmission, in the middle of the Pacific High.

Long periods of tedium, punctuated by episodes of terror.

Poor planning on about 27 different levels.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 19:10   #50

Boom vs head (or being thrown against something immovable by the mainsheet) may or may not be the most common cause of accidental death, but it's certainly the quickest.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 19:20   #51

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

Top 3 threats to cruisers: obesity, alcoholism and bankruptcy

Top 3 reasons to go cruising: self-discovery, expanded horizons and moments of sheer bliss
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 23:59   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander20 View Post
This might seem a bit silly but do any of you diver/snorkellers carry any anti venom? The idea of being able to snorkel everyday in these amazing remote reefs is one of the big draws of cruising for me. Just wonder what you guys do about all of the poisonous critters down there
Very few antivenoms are available for sea creatures. They are also very specific and need to be cold stored and there is a high risk of a severe allergic to them.

I have spent countless hours snorkelling in northern Aussie waters (only in a bikini) where all sorts of poisonous critters lurk. Avoiding touching anything is a good start to staying safe. Some types of jellyfish are really the biggest threat, but these are usually found in specific locations at specific times of the years and swimming just needs to be avoided then.

A body stocking or lycra suit offers considerable protection from stray jellyfish if you are overly concerned.

If stung by a jellyfish, dousing the affected area in vinegar is said to provide relief (I have not needed to try this).

Learning CPR may be invaluable though and not just if bitten by a poisonous creature!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 14:46   #53

Boat: PETERSON 44
Serious I can do 3 here is my list I would list fatigue and judgment at the top. Fog and weather in complex weather systems. Crew failure due to illness or lack of experience.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 15:33   #54

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
Statistically speaking, what are the greatest actual threats to a cruiser? I don't want to spend my time and money getting ready for pirates when errant containers might be twice as likely to nail me. More likely in the real world (versus dramatic re-enactment footage) would be fire and broken thru-hulls, but it could be that we are more likely to just fall off the boat than fail to prepare for various ways of 'almost' sinking.

Comments? Staistics? Observations? Experiences?

Thanks,

John
Ones self!

1) The lack of skill level to deal with boat repairs out on the ocean.
2) The lack of experience to do what is needed to handle a boat.
3) The lack of social skills to deal with differences in cultures.
4) The lack of money to properly maintain a vessel in a safe and mechanical condition.
5) Arrogance, the lack of common sense to to listen to other sailors in the what's, what department.
6) The boat, not good enough quality to maintain a comfortable and strong environment to deal with the whims of the ocean weather.
7) Knowledge of world events/problems.
8) Laziness/apathy, putting off the things that are important to maintain ones boat and health.
9) Seamanship, knowing those little things in everyday life that keeps a boat seaworthy and from hurting oneself.
10) Respect towards other boaters/people while out on the water and in port. There is a rough and tumble bunch out there that have little value for human life and can snuff you w/o remorse.
Old 17-02-2013, 15:45   #55
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Top Five Threats? Top Ten?

No hotel when we get in... No Sex.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 15:48   #56

I thought the op wanted real life experience not made up stuff. A better thread might be anxiety about cruising what you worry about.?
So boatman can worry about no room in a hotel and no sex.
Probably boat man had sex but did not pay for the hotel room.in his case the worst risk was being stuck with a bunch of friendly Aussies.
I think its good to ask your worst moment and forbid boatman from having any participation.
Old 17-02-2013, 15:57   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Top Five Threats? Top Ten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I thought the op wanted real life experience not made up stuff. A better thread might be anxiety about cruising what you worry about.?
Oh... believe me.. it gets me worried...
and running outa tobacco or papers... or even worse... having them and no matches....
No matter how much I buy its never enough to complete a voyage... starting to wonder if I've got a subliminal competitive streak...That was a sneaky edit Sabray...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:15   #58

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I believe that Don L. was right: an immutable schedule has caused more serious problems for cruising sailors than anything else that I am aware of. Adhering to a schedule leads to many of the factors that others have mentioned, like getting caught out in bad weather, not making appropriate repairs prior to departure, taking on bad crew, and so on.

For full time cruisers, learning to be flexible is relatively easy. For the folks still embroiled in the workforce or with kids needing to be in school or with other external forces there are difficult choices to make. Balancing the consequences of delay versus sailing when you really shouldn't is not easy and errors are costly.

But no one said that cruising was easy... well, except for salesmen and a few here on CF!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17-02-2013, 16:19   #59
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
biggest danger:

SCHEDULES
+1
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:34   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Oh... believe me.. it gets me worried...
and running outa tobacco or papers... or even worse... having them and no matches....
No matter how much I buy its never enough to complete a voyage... starting to wonder if I've got a subliminal competitive streak...That was a sneaky edit Sabray...
Was not trying to give a shake with the edit. Just guessed that you forgot that hotel bill and probably had a real story that you might tell.