Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2014, 08:41   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 63
Tropical Disease vaccinations

We are currently in Panama, about to leave for Columbia and ABCs.

Researching the WHO list for Yellow Fever vaccination requirements, it shows ABCs requiring vaccine for anyone coming from countries with transmission risk (i.e. Columbia).

Has anyone ever had their vaccination cards checked when arriving in a country on a boat (I know airports tend to have more strict practices)?

Would like to know others' experience here, since I'd rather not take the health risk of vaccine (I'm over 60) if not necessary. (We will not be in high risk areas for the disease itself).

Thanks for any input.

Ann Evans
M/Y Ithaka
uzumejin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 08:59   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Tropical Disease vaccinations

We have never been asked for vaccination records from the Eastern Caribe, through the ABC's, Venezuela, Colombia, Panama, Honduras and Guatemala.

I know you didn't ask about this, but it is a good idea to keep your tetanus shot up to date in South and Central America.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 12:39   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Never been asked anywhere either, but have not been to ABCs. Currently In Colombia, but our travels have only been in/near the major cities where risk is low. We plan to do more S America travel, and in more remote areas, in the future and will likely get YF vaccination. My rational is that YF is serious business if you do contract it as mortality rates are significant.

Returning to Panama tomorrow. Don't expect to be asked, but will post if I am.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 12:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What are the health risks of vaccanition? I know what the disease does.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 13:16   #5

I arrived at Shelter Bay at the end of last month - there was no request for a vaccination card.

I am currently getting a fast track hep A and B which I should have done earlier. I also got a typhoid shot.

It does not matter where you are - keep your tetanus current.

Vaccinations are fine. Avoid any conspiracy thinking them. One of my crew had an allergy to eggs so some shots were not possible.

I am 67 and getting vaccinated at both my doctor's insistence and my wife's, a pharmacist.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 13:23   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Vaccinations are fine. Avoid any conspiracy thinking them.
I don't think the OP's age concern was in the conspiracy vein. The CDC and manufacturer recommend that people over 60 discuss the yellow fever vaccine with their doctor before agreeing to it. That particular vaccine does have some potential age-related side effects.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 13:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't think the OP's age concern was in the conspiracy vein. The CDC and manufacturer recommend that people over 60 discuss the yellow fever vaccine with their doctor before agreeing to it. That particular vaccine does have some potential age-related side effects.

Mark
OK - point taken.
Old 22-09-2014, 14:05   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Fast track hep A and B?
Instead of the usual long sequence, what do they do to fast track it?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 14:34   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark

OK, what are they? I was for a long time part of the 18th Airborne's Rapid Deployment force, so I have had evey vaccine known to man from Bubonic Plague to the full series of Anthrax, I figure might not be a bad idea to keep at least some of them current but don't know of any age related problems with them.
Now I can't get the shingles vaccine until I'm 60 or at least my insurance won't pay until then, makes no sense to me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 14:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Fast track hep A and B?
Instead of the usual long sequence, what do they do to fast track it?
The shots are on 0,7,21 day schedule within a booster in a year.
Old 22-09-2014, 17:39   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

a64-
The only reason you can't get reimbursed for the shingles shot, is because there have been no formal studies done to prove it is effective or safe in the population under aged 60. And without medical documentation, the insurers have no motivation to pay for it, nor will anyone force them to.

You certainly CAN get the shot, typically $225 from a chain store clinic, the flip side of the question is how much longer that immunity will help you, leaving you in need of another shot at 80? When you would then be too frail to get it? Or...? That's why "the establishment" wants long-term studies done first and is in no hurry to do them. But it is an unspoken no-brainer, like the HPV shots that were "just for girls" until someone figured out, if you vaccinate the BOYS then the GIRLS are still protected from the carriers. Duh?

The CDC has a list of recommended shots for different age and population groups online. Every one of them carries some risk to some people but you'd probably have to look up each one to evaluate the risks for yourself. The CDC and folks like that are concerned with statistical populations, not individuals.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 14:35   #12

Boat: Nordhavn 63

We have decided not to get the Yellow Fever vaccination. Instead, we are asking our physician for an exemption letter, based on age and risk.

A bit of research from Yellow fever - Vaccination - NHS Choices

The National Health Service in the UK states that the vaccine is NOT recommended for folks over age 60 who have not been vaccinated previously ("vaccine naive").

They continue, stating:
"Yellow fever vaccine associated viscerotropic disease (YELAVD):
The yellow fever vaccine is also associated with yellow fever vaccine associated
viscerotropic disease (YELAVD).
Viscerotropic means that it affects the viscera –your internal organs, such as the heart or lungs.
YELAVD occurs in around three cases out of every 1 million vaccines that are given. However, for people who are 60 years of age or over and yellow fever vaccine naďve, the incidence of YELAVD increases to just over one in every 50,000. This represents the highest risk for any vaccine currently in use."

I am normally pro-vaccine. But since we will remain coastal, and thus not actually be in high-risk areas, we are opting out.

Ann
M/V Ithaka
Shelter Bay Marina, Panamá
uzumejin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal