Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 19:01   #61

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

There are some members in Brisbane. Who knows when they would be available.

However there are the VMRs, but they will charge you--a lot. With luck, he'll be able to make Bundy, if not Brissie, and it would be a less stressful entry to the country. [It's a long way into Moreton Bay and then up the river to the Customs Dock at Rivergate, especially if it's against the tide.]

Ann
Old 10-09-2015, 23:25   #62
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Although IIRC he left from Brisbane so he should be on home turf
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 13:45   #63

Wottie,

Yes. He is said to have left from Brisbane. I was thinking that with the strong ESE to SE generated by the current high, he might have an easier landfall at Bundy, and plan accordingly. Fatigue is the great enemy of singlehanders, and generally, as we age, we become more vulnerable to it. There's far too much shipping traffic for me to feel comfortable heaving to or slowing the boat to sleep near the entry to Moreton Bay. The middle of Hervey Bay, different. Less shipping traffic, traffic of most kinds.

That said, if he could get Customs & AQIS to agree, he could anchor at Yellow Bluff at the NE corner of Moreton Is., and come in via the NE channel in the morning. But it's still a long way in.

Seems like it would be helpful if someone could establish radio contact with the Mahi, and learn his plans.

Ann
Old 11-09-2015, 15:46   #64

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

id, like to generate a little more interest in this before it becomes a lost vessel. Vessels sinking or bodies turning up seem to generate a hell of a lot more interest. Should I repost the thread with a different title?

I've got pictures now and a little more information, but he's now apparently 400 miles off Frazer Island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	narrative.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	108864   Click image for larger version

Name:	one.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	108865  

Click image for larger version

Name:	three.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	108866   Click image for larger version

Name:	two.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	108867  

Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 15:54   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Wottie,

Yes. He is said to have left from Brisbane. I was thinking that with the strong ESE to SE generated by the current high, he might have an easier landfall at Bundy, and plan accordingly. Fatigue is the great enemy of singlehanders, and generally, as we age, we become more vulnerable to it. There's far too much shipping traffic for me to feel comfortable heaving to or slowing the boat to sleep near the entry to Moreton Bay. The middle of Hervey Bay, different. Less shipping traffic, traffic of most kinds.

That said, if he could get Customs & AQIS to agree, he could anchor at Yellow Bluff at the NE corner of Moreton Is., and come in via the NE channel in the morning. But it's still a long way in.

Seems like it would be helpful if someone could establish radio contact with the Mahi, and learn his plans.

Ann
Ann,

Yes, you have made very good points; clearly you have thought about this more than me!

I was only considering the geographical aspects of entering Brisbane. Easy with local knowledge which he has but when looked at in the bigger picture, what you say is correct and insightful.

And as a side note note, in the off chance someone is on hand to offer assistance, presumably they have to consider the ABF & AQIS aspects of helping him before his entry has been cleared??????.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-09-2015, 16:01   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
id, like to generate a little more interest in this before it becomes a lost vessel. Vessels sinking or bodies turning up seem to generate a hell of a lot more interest. Should I repost the thread with a different title?

I've got pictures now and a little more information, but he's now apparently 400 miles off Frazer Island.
This seems like the right thread to me

More kudos to the KIWI navy, he seems much closer to Oz than Enzed but our guys or even the new "Australian Border Force" are absent

Thanks RC for keeping us in the loop.

A side note, the article suggests he was bound for SE Asia Is Fiji considered SE Asia for Kiwis?
Old 11-09-2015, 16:28   #67

The last known co-ordinates for him were at 1300 hours on the 10th AEST and they were 24 44 south and 162 14 E

Just as well us Aussies are such an endearing lot, because this is the type of sailor that should not be out there. He's abused the purpose of an Epirb, twice and so far cost a small fortune to both the NZ Navy in sending an Orion out to look for him and then diverting a Navy ship and of course the cruise liner missed a Port for him completely.

But anyway. If there is anyone some where near by enough to reach him on VHF.
Old 11-09-2015, 16:42   #68

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
A side note, the article suggests he was bound for SE Asia Is Fiji considered SE Asia for Kiwis?
No Wottie, it was the frigate that was on the way to SEA, not the yacht.

And it sounds to me as if he has a very good shot at making it on his own... if he has at least one foresail that will work. Should have strong to moderate SE winds for a while, giving him a broad reach to the Qld coast, wherever he should end up.

And again, kudos to the Kiwis... what a class act!!

Jim
Old 11-09-2015, 16:50   #69

Wow, RC,

What on earth do you mean by "this is the type of sailor who should not be out there?"

He was provisioned for 5 weeks with food for a nominally 2 week voyage. Conservative, but stood him in good stead.

Unable to fix a hydraulic pump w/o parts? Bad stuff happens, and you simply cannot carry spares enough.

He carried "spare" sails. Again, conservative. Not many do.

The medics said he was in good nick.

Perhaps you would explain why you think he should not be out there.

Ann
Old 11-09-2015, 16:58   #70

Quote:
The last known co-ordinates for him were at 1300 hours on the 10th AEST and they were 24 44 south and 162 14 E

Just as well us Aussies are such an endearing lot, because this is the type of sailor that should not be out there. He's abused the purpose of an Epirb, twice and so far cost a small fortune to both the NZ Navy in sending an Orion out to look for him and then diverting a Navy ship and of course the cruise liner missed a Port for him completely.

But anyway. If there is anyone some where near by enough to reach him on VHF.
Hi, RC,

The Pacific Pearl came inito Noumea as scheduled. We saw it and reported it here.

He used an EPIRB when he was in distress. This is only sensible.

So, no abuse, and exactly why did you say he should not be out here?

VHF will not reach him at the 600 n.mi. that he is off either Brisbane or Bundaberg.

Ann

on edit: I didn't see anything about an Orion in the info you published today. What was the source for that?
Old 11-09-2015, 17:08   #71

Quote:
Hi, RC,

The Pacific Pearl came inito Noumea as scheduled. We saw it and reported it here.

He used an EPIRB when he was in distress. This is only sensible.

So, no abuse, and exactly why did you say he should not be out here?

VHF will not reach him at the 600 n.mi. that he is off either Brisbane or Bundaberg.

Ann
I've been advised the Pacific Pearl missed a port in order to go to his rescue, it then went on to Noumea?

He's twice used an EPIRB and twice refused to be rescued. An EPIRB is not just for when your in distress, but for when your in grave and imminent danger. That far out to see and you set off an EPIRB and your vessel is not capable of returning under it's own steam, the authorities expect you to leave your vessel and be rescued. He's so far refusing.. Twice.

That far out to sea, it's just my opinion but he should have more ability to communicate than a VHF radio. And that's all he's got.

He didn't have five weeks of food for a two week trip. And when he was found by the cruise liner, he had nothing. What they gave him, ran out again, so that's when he's set of the second EPIRB requiring NZ to send out a plane for locate him and then divert a ship to him. The NAVY provided him with 10 days of emergency rations. But it's not believed his sails are capable of getting him back to Australia.

And I think when the media smell and interest there will also be more come out too.
Old 11-09-2015, 17:21   #72

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
He didn't have five weeks of food for a two week trip. And when he was found by the cruise liner, he had nothing. What they gave him, ran out again, so that's when he's set of the second EPIRB requiring NZ to send out a plane for locate him and then divert a ship to him. The NAVY provided him with 10 days of emergency rations. But it's not believed his sails are capable of getting him back to Australia.
Ouch. That took some of the romance out of it for me. Didn't realise this was his second rescue on the one trip.
Old 11-09-2015, 17:32   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Ouch. That took some of the romance out of it for me. Didn't realise this was his second rescue on the one trip.
Yeah, not great. It really is looking bad for him and I think we all would know what he's going through facing loosing his boat. My understanding is he has just the boat.

So his greatest hope for saving him with his boat is if we can garner enough interest and attention that someone within a day or two of him could be in a situation to go and assist him. He's going to quickly run out of food again and probably already very low on energy. The authorities understandably are not going to attempt to tow him in from too far out.

So, if anyone knows someone cruising in the vicinity, let them know of his plight.
Old 11-09-2015, 17:38   #74

Well, FWIW, at this stage, I imagine the Australian Border Control jet will now keep track of his progress, as part of their normal patrolling, and they are well able to have VHF contact with him.

It is now up to him to get his boat back to Oz. We'll see what he does.

I do not think media involvement would help any aspect whatsoever of this situation, but the Kiwi Navy still did a great job.

As to the usability of the vessels sails, Jim just said to me that if you sent him and Dockhead to evaluate their usability to go 600 n. mi., the opinions might be different. And the Mahi skipper's opinion might be different, also, but Jim didn't say that.

Ann
Old 11-09-2015, 17:42   #75

Quote:
Well, FWIW, at this stage, I imagine the Australian Border Control jet will now keep track of his progress, as part of their normal patrolling, and they are well able to have VHF contact with him.

It is now up to him to get his boat back to Oz. We'll see what he does.

I do not think media involvement would help any aspect whatsoever of this situation, but the Kiwi Navy still did a great job.

As to the usability of the vessels sails, Jim just said to me that if you sent him and Dockhead to evaluate their usability to go 600 n. mi., the opinions might be different. And the Mahi skipper's opinion might be different, also, but Jim didn't say that.

Ann
yes, well, that's very true. There's probably a world of difference from the assessment of a navy person who's not familiar with 'sailing vessels' to that of an experienced sailor too.

Tags
Australia, yacht