Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2021, 20:49   #1

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 26C, Niagara 35C
Using 1 EPIRB on 2 boats

Has anybody on this forum used 1 epirb on 2 different boats? I am in the fortunate, although unplanned position, now to have a winter boat in the US, and a summer boat in Canada. I want to have an EPIRB and wonder if it is feasible to just buy one, and re-progam the MMSI twice a year so it can be used on both boats. And as I have seen while researching this on-line, if the same unit can be used in the US and Canada - some brands specify for US or Canada models. I also understand in Canada you can program it yourself, may be different in USA. Thank you for any wisdom from people with knowledge and especially experience with this.

With apologies to KV: 'Having a yacht is a reason for being more cheerful than most.' Having two yachts will not necessarily make you twice as cheerful, but for me I hope to extend the effect through more of the year.
MistyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 21:01   #2

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Using 1 EPIRB on 2 boats

it is an emergency device so what difference does it make if you are on the other boat? you just want to get rescued if you press the button.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 21:05   #3

Thanks seandepagnier. The issue, I think, is the vessel identification - if it can be reprogrammed twice a year for this. When they come lookin' they're lookin' for a described boat, that makes things work for SAR as the system is intended.
Old 26-06-2021, 21:06   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

If you are not going to change your name and you rename the boats to the same name no one will know the difference if you ever have to trigger it whichever boat you're on at the time.
Old 26-06-2021, 21:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
If you are not going to change your name and you rename the boats to the same name no one will know the difference if you ever have to trigger it whichever boat you're on at the time.
Brilliant workaround RaymondR! Although it could make my yacht management files a bit more complicated, but thank you. I admire lateral thinking.
Old 26-06-2021, 21:41   #6

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Here in Aus the first thing the government agency responsible (AMSA) does is contact your emergency contact.
They can pass on the details of the boat if needed.

As Sean said, I doubt that they’ll come looking for you and turn around if the boat has a different name!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 08:34   #7

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

When you register your EPIRB, you provide a vessel description, length, colors, whether sail or power, etc. along with radio call info MMSI, etc. it will s specific to a particular boat as well as owner.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 08:56   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

I believe you have soent a nice amount of $$$ to acquire two boats.
So a cost of additional EPIRB is the breaking issue?
Two units, programmed properly with all relevant data of each vessel and forget the hassle of bi-annual re-programming.
Old 27-06-2021, 09:09   #9

Boat: Contest 50CS

It is a pain in the behind to reprogram an EPIRB. and to have it done twice a year is not what the device manufacturer intended for the device. break down a buy a second device. It will keep things simple.
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 09:09   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Buy one per boat. It would make life much simpler and maybe safer in the long run. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 10:39   #11

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyCat View Post
Has anybody on this forum used 1 epirb on 2 different boats? I am in the fortunate, although unplanned position, now to have a winter boat in the US, and a summer boat in Canada. I want to have an EPIRB and wonder if it is feasible to just buy one, and re-progam the MMSI twice a year so it can be used on both boats. And as I have seen while researching this on-line, if the same unit can be used in the US and Canada - some brands specify for US or Canada models. I also understand in Canada you can program it yourself, may be different in USA. Thank you for any wisdom from people with knowledge and especially experience with this.

With apologies to KV: 'Having a yacht is a reason for being more cheerful than most.' Having two yachts will not necessarily make you twice as cheerful, but for me I hope to extend the effect through more of the year.
I applied for and got a FCC portable ship license. So I can take my EPIRB, portable VHF radio, and AIS with me as I go from boat to boat. I have 4, 2 in the USA and 2 in the Med. I had to get a FCC license as I travel overseas. $250 for 10 years, took 48 hours over the Internet.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 10:41   #12

Boat: Morgan 382

EPIRBS are not programmed with an MMSI number. Instead, they have their own ID number.

The EPIRBS are registered (online in the US) To include information such as type of boat, boats MMSI, emergency contact information, and area of use. It is recommended to frequently visit the registration to keep it up to date, for example if you change your cruising area, or want to include emergency contact information for the crew.

As such, It should be no problem to update the registration twice per year. However, I am not sure you can fly with one. It would suck to lose it at the airport because the internal battery can't be taken on a plane.

They are not very expensive, buy one for each boat.
Old 27-06-2021, 10:46   #13

Boat: Hunter 46

If you are registered to an agency like sarsat the epirp is boat specific. If you use it on a different boat than it is registered rescuers will looking for the boat it is registered to, not the one you raised the epirb distress signal from.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 13:25   #14

Get the best PLB that money can buy. They do the same thing and the P stands for personal.... you want them to rescue your person...you. I also understand that PLB's can be used in non marine environments.

On the other hand, given what is at risk, is there any reason that you don't want to spend the money on just buying a second EPIRB? You already spent the money on a second boat.

Granted this adds to cost but in my opinion, I'd forgo insurance before I'd forgo safety gear.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 16:52   #15

Thanks everyone for their replies to my query. Clearly, the ideal is to have an EPIRB for each boat. Semi annual re-registering would be a major hassle. Just wondered if anybody actually does that, or could recommend it. PLBs for me and the loved one, as an 'instead of EPIRB' option also looks interesting.

I appreciate everybody's good natured input here.

Tags
boat, epirb