Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2016, 17:13   #196

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

CT and MRI scans show brain damage presumably caused by ZIKV: Professor Maria de Fatima Vasco Aragao and colleagues scanned the brains of 6 infants with congential ZIKV and who still tested positive to ZIKV and 17 infants who did not test positive to ZIKV but who otherwise met criteria for congenital ZIKV infection. Professor Vasco and colleagues describe the abnormalities found and discuss the differences between brain abnormalities associated with presumed ZIKV and other abnormalities due to other causes (e.g. genetic diseases such as RNASET2-related disease and Aicardi-Goutieres Syndrome). The BMJ (British Medical Journal).
Old 14-04-2016, 18:10   #197

Texas, USA: ZIKV transmitted by anal intercourse: D. Trew Deckhard and colleagues report (and confirm earlier media stories) on a case of male-male sexual transmission of ZIKV in Dallas, Texas, in January 2016. CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
Old 18-04-2016, 18:59   #198

ZIKV and microcephaly: 97% of tested microcephalic infants (i.e. 30 of 31 microcephalic infants) tested positive for ZIKV immunoglobin in cerebrospinal fluid in Brazil. The Lancet.
Old 20-04-2016, 18:33   #199

ZIKV testing in the US: Dr Sharoda Dasgupta and colleagues of the USA CDC report on testing for ZIKV of 4,500 persons in the US. Tests showed that very few asymptomatic individuals had ZIKV infection. The authors and CDC conclude that the high potential for adverse outcomes for mothers and infants (e.g. microcephaly and the lifetime costs associated with the condition) justify testing of asymptomatic pregnant women who have potentially been exposed. CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
Old 20-04-2016, 20:36   #200

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, there, Alan Mighty,

Thanks for posting all these links to articles. Data rules!

Ann
Old 20-04-2016, 23:57   #201

I'm wondering what effects if any one adults. I know it is devastating for new horns and the social and economic impacts haven't even been tabulated. But I am having a nagging thought at the back of my mind the virus may well have as yet unpublished affects on adults. Affects that aren't as readily noticeable as with new born babies. I do hope there is no foundation for my nagging thought and doubt.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 02:42   #202

Further information on the possible affects of the Zika virus on adults.

Zika is now linked to be one of the viruses that can cause Guillain-Barre Syndrome. The effects of GB Syndrome are indeed serious for adults.

The health-related quality of life (HRQL) after an attack of Guillain–Barré syndrome can be significantly impaired. About a fifth are unable to walk unaided after six months, and many experience chronic pain, fatigue and difficulty with work, education, hobbies and social activities.

"Guillain–Barré syndrome can lead to death as a result of a number of complications: severe infections, blood clots, and cardiac arrest likely due to autonomic neuropathy. Despite optimum care this occurs in about 5% of cases.[1]

There is a variation in the rate and extent of recovery.[1] The prognosis of Guillain–Barré syndrome is determined mainly by age (those over 40 may have a poorer outcome), and by the severity of symptoms after two weeks. Furthermore, those who experienced diarrhea before the onset of disease have a worse prognosis.[6] On the nerve conduction study, the presence of conduction block predicts poorer outcome at 6 months.[6] In those who have received intravenous immunoglobulins, a smaller increase in IgG in the blood two weeks after administration is associated with poorer mobility outcomes at six months than those whose IgG level increased substantially.[6] If the disease continues to progress beyond four weeks, or there are multiple fluctuations in the severity (more than two in eight weeks), the diagnosis may be chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy which is treated differently.[2]

In research studies, the outcome from an episode of Guillain–Barré syndrome is recorded on a scale from 0–6, where 0 denotes completely healthy, 1 very minor symptoms but able to run, 2 able to walk but not to run, 3 requiring a stick or other support, 4 confined to bed or chair, 5 requiring long-term respiratory support, 6 death.[27]

The health-related quality of life (HRQL) after an attack of Guillain–Barré syndrome can be significantly impaired. About a fifth are unable to walk unaided after six months, and many experience chronic pain, fatigue and difficulty with work, education, hobbies and social activities.[28] HRQL improves significantly in the first year.[28]"
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 05:50   #203

Boat: a sailing boat

April 15, Martinique:

Accumulated cases 17 990.
(= 2 500 new cases, in 2 weeks)

7 SGB syndrome patients,
(5 new cases, in 2 weeks)
142 pregnant women with ZIKV confirmed,
2 (1 new) microcephaly case,

source: Légère augmentation du nombre de cas de Zika en Martinique - martinique 1ère

SGB is what may be of main concern to senior cruisers, as well as all post ZIKA long term after effects.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 22:25   #204

A mouse model for ZIKV: Matthew Aliota and colleagues report on a strain of laboratory mouse that can be infected with ZIKV by injecting virus into a foot pad. Infected mice show that ZIKV causes problems in brain and muscles. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases.

Note: ZIKV does not infect normal mice (only humans and some primates). Having a small animal model allows researchers to see what happens during an infection event; test therapies; and test potential vaccines.
Old 23-04-2016, 03:24   #205

Virus infections in general (i.e. not specific to ZIKV): perhaps we've never really understood virus infections. Thomas Blank and colleagues have published an interesting paper that may change the way we think about viruses - note however that the research findings are confirmed for humans. In brief (and the paper is such that I will need to read it multiple times to understand it and its implications). The researchers started by looking at:

1. the complex link between stress and depression on a person's immune system; and

2. the 'virus sickness behaviour' syndrome - the phenomenon shown when a person infected by influenza or even the common cold displays a temporary behaviour mode (mopes around, temporary depression); and

3. the established phenomenon of patients of certain cancers who, when treated with interferon, also exhibit temporary depressive behaviours.

Blank and colleagues put 1, 2, and 3 together. And have tested their hypothesis that (some?) viruses cause a cascade of a certain cytokine (CXCL 10) in the brain cells of mice infected with a vesicular stomatitis virus. When forced to swim in water, the infected mice displayed as if depressed.

Read it for yourself. This could be the start of an improved understanding of viruses on humans. Or it could be a dead end. People far more expert than I thought the paper was worth publishing. Immunity (part of the Cell family of journals).
Old 23-04-2016, 04:10   #206
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

[QUOTE=GoingWalkabout;2102471]

The health-related quality of life (HRQL) after an attack of 'Tanquery Syndrome' can be significantly impaired. About a fifth are unable to walk unaided after six shots, and many experience chronic pain, fatigue and difficulty with work, education, hobbies and social activities the next couple of days.
QUOTE]

But.. it takes ones mind off Zika...

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 13:30   #207

Also be aware that fogging Malathion, Maldison can also cause birth defect.

Of interest.
http://health.nt.gov.au/library/scri...0Territory.pdf
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 14:00   #208
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Warning to Families and Couples in Tropical Americas: Zika Spreading Fast.

[QUOTE=Alan Mighty;2104323][B]

Blank and colleagues put 1, 2, and 3 together. And have tested their hypothesis that (some?) viruses cause a cascade of a certain cytokine (CXCL 10) in the brain cells of mice infected with a vesicular stomatitis virus. When forced to swim in water, the infected mice displayed as if depressed.
QUOTE]

Some sailors.. when forced to swim in water display as if depressed.. without the virus

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 14:37   #209

Boat: Outremer 50S

And to top it all off:

Zika found in Aedes albopictus (as predicted by Alan Mighty way back on page one of this thread). First time identified in other than Aedes aegypti. Extends the potential range considerably.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 16:12   #210

Boat: a sailing boat

April 29, Martinique:

Accumulated cases 20 980 / 17 990.

(= 2 990 new cases, in 2 weeks)

This translates into about 5 000 new cases in April.

La tendance de l'épidémie reste Ã* l’augmentation : 20 980 cas en Martinique - martinique 1ère

The map shows distribution with huge concentration in the district most adjacent to St Lucia. Interestingly, St. Lucia reported only 2 cases. Very odd, NO?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal