Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2013, 06:28   #31

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Wet Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
... Unless you need the buoyancy and are "not likely" to be submerged for a long time, fleece with a good paddling jacket are probably better suited for kayaking and SUPs.

I'm not a real fan of new-fangled but fleece is great stuff.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 08:53   #32

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Wet Suit

Up north, where I am, you won't last long without a suit. I keep full diving gear aboard, suit, bottle and octopus. Actually I have both a long-leg 4mm and a short leg 4mm with a hood. If it is really cold, I wear them on top of each other, total 8mm. Booties and gloves.

Clearing a fouled prop can take anywhere up to half an hour - freeze your cajones right off without a suit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 08:59   #33

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Up north, where I am, you won't last long without a suit. I keep full diving gear aboard, suit, bottle and octopus. Actually I have both a long-leg 4mm and a short leg 4mm with a hood. If it is really cold, I wear them on top of each other, total 8mm. Booties and gloves.

Clearing a fouled prop can take anywhere up to half an hour - freeze your cajones right off without a suit
Makes sense to me. Plus I like to be as independent of asking for help as possible. To a silly degree really, but hey, we are what we eat.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 09:36   #34

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
....In bad weather like winds and rain and cold I will use them with a snug wind cheater as they help keep the cold out/body heat in.. and are a damn sight easier to move around on deck quickly with the decreased windage...
This is a good idea, the only drawback is when nature calls...

...and you can't "go" over the side either.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 09:37   #35

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Have you thought about a dry suit? The advantage of a dry suit is you can wear your normal cloths under it. Easier to put on and take off. They are about as common as wet suits in the PNW for driving, wind surfing, water skiing and in general.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 10:22   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I cave dive, and only do so dry. A decent dry suit starts at about $1,500.
BTW, most of us cave dive during the winter months. Nothings hotter than being in a dry suit in 90 deg weather, but gearing up dry in 50 degree weather isn't so bad. Dry suits are big, heavy and cumbersome, but warm as the devil.
Think of a survival suit if you haven't seen a dry suit, a dry suit is basically a snug fitted survival suit.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 10:40   #37

Boat: Nordhavn 50

To answer the Op's original question...I would definitely take my wetsuit with me if I had to abandon ship into the water OR into a liferaft. Even in warm climates, a raft can be a wet and chilly place to be once the sun sets...
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 11:19   #38

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I always carry a shortie wetsuit and booties... even for deliveries..
In bad weather like winds and rain and cold I will use them with a snug wind cheater as they help keep the cold out/body heat in.. and are a damn sight easier to move around on deck quickly with the decreased windage..
My experience is the opposite. Years ago, we had an early spring race with winds in the 20's, periodic rain squalls, and water and air temperatures 45-50F. One of the younger guys wore a full surfing wetsuit and went seriously hypothermic. The rest of us were relatively comfortable in foulies, fleeces, and seaboots.

I also carry a 3mm long john and long-sleeved wetsuit top with me--there are times you need to go into cold water and/or do battle with the jellies.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 06:35   #39

Boat: contessa 32

Always have my shorty aboard...gives options for sailor that nothing else fulfills.
(see some examples above). Also prolonged snorkeling even in tropical waters can drive swimmer back to the boat prematurely. My shorty takes up very little locker space but would prefer full length if in colder waters, while hood and booties help close any gaps and they too take up little space.
I also have a survival suit but have only found it useful on Halloween, so it stays on shore but for cold nasty stuff on deck I like my coastguard type orange work suit which can double as a sleeping bag.

..........Love you all.......................mike.................... ...........................
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 08:04   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
My experience is the opposite. Years ago, we had an early spring race with winds in the 20's, periodic rain squalls, and water and air temperatures 45-50F. One of the younger guys wore a full surfing wetsuit and went seriously hypothermic. The rest of us were relatively comfortable in foulies, fleeces, and seaboots.

I also carry a 3mm long john and long-sleeved wetsuit top with me--there are times you need to go into cold water and/or do battle with the jellies.
That's why you should use a Shortie.. and a windproof as the suits are not wind resistant enough to stop the body chilling.. and as I said a regular flush with warm fresh water helps a lot.
I was working 12hr days in and out of the water and that winter Poole harbour was icing over.. like anything common sense is needed.. as soon as I came out the warm water went down the collar and the windproof went on..
Regarding the pee... just pee then flush via the collar...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 08:38   #41

Boat: Toy boat

Surfing specific wetsuits do come with a smooth skin that repels wind. I am with Hotline and we carry a model called the Ultra Hot Combo. 6/5/4 mm and good to 38 degree's. The chest and back can be smooth and will keep you warm in or out of the water. I use one while stand up surfing and here on the Coast of Oregon, wind is ever present.
Oregon Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 08:52   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Waterman View Post
Surfing specific wetsuits do come with a smooth skin that repels wind. I am with Hotline and we carry a model called the Ultra Hot Combo. 6/5/4 mm and good to 38 degree's. The chest and back can be smooth and will keep you warm in or out of the water. I use one while stand up surfing and here on the Coast of Oregon, wind is ever present.
Mine's 12 yrs old now... originally bought it for windsurfing.. and it was not windproof back then..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 09:13   #43

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

The term wet suit/dry suit is rather like the term boat. Serious divers will often argue about which wet suit/dry suit is best with as much energy as some cruisers argue over which anchor is best.

Another thing to consider is individual variance. All serious divers I know use some type of full body protection even when diving in tropical waters.

There is no single one best wetsuit/drysuit for all situations, the individual who is using the wet suit must select the one that fits them best. Often times divers are advised to first select the first layer that functions like a rash guard or Lava Core. Next a layer worn over the first layer is chosen. This can be a hood, booties, vest, shorty, farmer John, pants and top, or full suit.

Bottom line is just as you would never go to sea with only a single type of clothing you should not depend on a single type of wet suit.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 11:07   #44

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Janet, we have carried full wet suits and shorties aboard for years for most of the reasons already stated. We also find them very useful for extended snorkeling trips. PFDs are just too bulky for us. The wet suit allows us to spend as much time in the water as we like without fatigue setting in. For paddleboarding and kayaking, unless this was done in colder waters, I think a PFD for that purpose would be more comfortable. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 12:58   #45
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Janet, if you are not familiar with wet suits I'd suggest renting one from a dive shop to see how it goes. Thickness, fit, quality, all need some experience to be appreciated. And if the suit is made from cheaper neoprene, the bubbles collapse and the suit actually gets smaller over the first five years or so. The only way to be sure a suit won't shrink is to buy "nitrogen blown neoprene" which automatically puts you into the more expensive suits--but at least they don't shrink.

One big perq to wearing a typical 1/4" wet suit, is that if you need to go under the boat, or you get thrown into something ON the boat, that neoprene absorbs a lot of impact. But mainly, wetsuits are good at keeping you warm and protected while you will be wet. Not so good out of the water, you just cook in your own juices.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote