Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2022, 00:48   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
What a way to wake up. 150m dredger right beside us.

Hi,

I am not sure where to post this, but it may spin into a safety discussion, hence I put it here.

We are currently at anchor in a designated anchor area in Leixoes Port (Oporto, Portugal).
A Dutch company is dredging the harbour with a number of vessels, amongst them some of the biggest of their kind in the world.
The anchor area is not cordoned off and noone came to ask any of the yachts to move.

This morning the 150m long hopper suction dredger woke us up, working not even 50m. 2x 1.20m suction pipes make for an infernalic sound :-)
We did not feel threatened, because we saw the green giants moving about very gently yesterday, but, the sheer size and sound give you some pause.

Do we have anyone here who has been professionally involved in dredging who can explain how they avoid sucking up chain, anchor or anything unwanted and the procedures they would follow if they did?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220827-WA0000.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	263503Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220826_151003.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	263504
Old 27-08-2022, 12:11   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: What a way to wake up. 150m dredger right beside us.

Are you concerned they will suck up your anchor ?
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2022, 12:38   #3

I was pondering of what might happen if they did, they were really really close.

But it looked like they were also very professional, careful and under control despite the size.
Impressive manouvering for a vessel of that size.
Old 27-08-2022, 14:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Are you concerned they will suck up your anchor ?
Btw.
No Manatees or friends threatened, it's a big & busy commercial harbour.

He's still doing his business at 22.40 hours right now [emoji4] Guess 24h/7day/365days nonstop operation...
Old 27-08-2022, 14:57   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@Franziska,

Well, from that, I guess the noise of sucking up all that loose sediment will drive you from the anchorage, soon. FWIW, (which may be next to zero!), I would think that since it is designed for the soft sediment sucking, it won't suck up an anchor and chain. But I'm no dredger, either. I'd go find another harbor in Portugal where that won't be a problem.

I wouldn't have liked to wake up that way, either. Compared to the big guys, our little boats are fragile. We approach docks with caution. I've never had a dock approach me!

Joking aside, why don't you go over there by dinghy and have a chat with the dredger crew? You could learn the answers to your questions from them; plus I'm sure it will be interesting. Take over a thermos of fresh coffee and some of those nice Portuguese donuts, "malasadas". I betcha you'd be welcome. In general, in ports all over, I've found those professional people respond well to friendly, interested-in-their-work yachties.

Ann
Old 27-08-2022, 15:09   #6

Boat: EDELCAT33

At least you are not the monohull in the right foregrounds
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2022, 15:47   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
What a way to wake up. 150m dredger right beside us.

It all depends on what sort of dredging they are doing. Around here it’s the plain suction type (according to dredge guys I spoke to) but there are all sorts of systems including some that look a bit like those giant coal excavators. The latter sort would worry me, but I’d bet the operators would be more worried, considering the cost of the machinery. If they are working close to you I would trust they are on top of the risks.

Either way, I bet the water around you is far from crystal clear now.

It goes to crap when they dredge here in Adelaide, takes a good month or so to clear after they’ve finished. A few fellow cruisers who are wintering here were startled by how clear the water was a while back. I realised they’d arrived mid way through the dredging cycle and didn’t realise the horrible cloudy water was not the norm.
Old 27-08-2022, 23:30   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

If it's a river port it is probably one of the pure suction dredges clearing out silt. If it's a deepening or extension it could be one of the ones with the rotating excavator on the end of the suction pipe. If it's a Dutch company they are probably pretty professional. There will more than likely be a shore based temporary office you could make inquiries at rather than approach the dredge in your dingy. They can be a bit touchy in these days of green activists etc.
Old 28-08-2022, 00:16   #9

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi,

I am not sure where to post this, but it may spin into a safety discussion, hence I put it here.

We are currently at anchor in a designated anchor area in Leixoes Port (Oporto, Portugal).
A Dutch company is dredging the harbour with a number of vessels, amongst them some of the biggest of their kind in the world.
The anchor area is not cordoned off and noone came to ask any of the yachts to move.

This morning the 150m long hopper suction dredger woke us up, working not even 50m. 2x 1.20m suction pipes make for an infernalic sound :-)
We did not feel threatened, because we saw the green giants moving about very gently yesterday, but, the sheer size and sound give you some pause.

Do we have anyone here who has been professionally involved in dredging who can explain how they avoid sucking up chain, anchor or anything unwanted and the procedures they would follow if they did?
Attachment 263503Attachment 263504
If you look at your second photo the actual dredging bit on that green dredger is on her starboard side so some distance even from the mono under her quarter.

Not a big risk in Portugal but further north they don't worry about yacht anchors so much as unexploded ordnance from WW2 - that really does get their attention Dredger working on waterway unearths unexploded ordnance from WWII - Poland at Sea - maritime economy portal

5.4 ton Tallboy?? -- Eeeeek!!!
Old 28-08-2022, 01:36   #10

Thanks for the comments.

Got some new photos. One shows "Nile River" (https://www.deme-group.com/technologies/nile-river) the 150m "trailing suction hopper dredger" which was next to us with their suction pipes lifted.

The other one shows the cutting heads "Spartacus" (https://spartacus.deme-group.com/) which is the biggest of its kind on earth at the moment, is using at the harbour entrance.

I also talked with a guy on the survey boat, he said, not very reassuring, the big dredge would not notice if it would swallow a yacht anchor. Still, there is an emergency stop and I am pretty sure the guy on the dredger looks closely if one of the yachts suddenly starts moving very quickly towards him.
They deepened the harbour here from 9-11m previously to 16-18m now. Which took them about a year and is coming to an end now.

It's a commercial seaport, with a marina inside, and luckily for us, a yacht anchorage as well. We don't like marinas [emoji4]
Perfect location to visit the Unesco world heritage city of Porto.
The other anchorage on the river Douros entrance is very small, the marina over there very expensive.
There have been a few occasions when yachts could anchor a bit upriver but officials only tolerate that occasionally and could fine if they enforce it.
Btw. you can NOT sail past the Ponte Luis 1 in Porto if your mast is close to 10m or taller.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220827_084404.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	263544Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220827_111111.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	263545Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220827_141041.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	263546
Old 28-08-2022, 15:14   #11

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Well we had one in the shipyard once that hit sugar sand and packed all the pipe solid

It required disconnecting all the pipes and basically chiseling the sand out like concrete

Lots of suction and lots of material moved in short time

Heavy stout boats, everything was overbuilt compared to anything else I’d ever worked on
Old 28-08-2022, 15:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Well we had one in the shipyard once that hit sugar sand and packed all the pipe solid

It required disconnecting all the pipes and basically chiseling the sand out like concrete

Lots of suction and lots of material moved in short time

Heavy stout boats, everything was overbuilt compared to anything else I’d ever worked on
What is "sugar sand"?
Old 28-08-2022, 18:24   #13

Quote:
What is "sugar sand"?

Fine grained similar sized sand grains held in suspension

The dredge picks it up and ends up pulling all the water out which causes it to pack tightly like cement

Pump stops and bob’s your uncle
Old 29-08-2022, 10:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Fine grained similar sized sand grains held in suspension

The dredge picks it up and ends up pulling all the water out which causes it to pack tightly like cement

Pump stops and bob’s your uncle
Wow. Nature amazes once more.
Old 29-08-2022, 10:59   #15

Quote:
Wow. Nature amazes once more.

Nor more so when I saw the inside of that system Al plugged solid

I had to ask the dredge crew and they enlightened me