Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Firearms or Not? What Do You Think . . .
Yes, I think it's a good idea 108 36.36%
Bad Idea 96 32.32%
Not sure, both have merits and faults 93 31.31%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 21:20   #136
Kai Nui

Nope, I got cited. Only ticket I have had in the past 15years, Tried to fight it, but got railroaded by the local part time court system. Oh well. So much for being polite. Next time I guess I should argue with the cop.

Old 02-02-2006, 21:29   #137

Yeah.

Before the police officer shows up at the drivers side window. You quickly put one to two Alka Seltzers into your mouth.

Then when the officer shows up alongside your window. You look like you're a rabid madman. Slobbering at the mouth. Ranting and raving. (Instant Lunatic)

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-02-2006, 21:39   #138
Kai Nui

That's what I normally look like That is why I do not carry guns!

Old 02-02-2006, 21:41   #139

Talking

Ahaaaaaahaaaaaah!!!

Now I know why?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-02-2006, 21:43   #140
Kai Nui

To get back on track here a little, looking at the poll, it is a fairly even split between for, against, and undecided. I would be curious to know how many of the proponents of carrying a gun on board actually do. I would also be curious how many of those who are against guns onboard have chosen other types of weapons as opposed to more passive methods of protection.

Old 02-02-2006, 21:46   #141

That's one question, that I do not think anybody would staright up tell ya they do?

Speaking for myself here. I wouldn't let people know that I had a gun onboard. Except for when I get inspected by the Coast Guard. I'd declare that I have one then!!

Old 02-02-2006, 22:09   #142
Kai Nui

Kinda like that sign that says "I carry a 45 3 days a week. You guess which 3"
Seriously though I think those are reasonable questions. After all, does the fact that you are against carrying a gun on board mean that you are a pacifist, and against using violence for protection? Or does it mean that you are just more secure in your belief that you can protect yourself than others? Does the fact that you are in favor of carrying a gun onboard mean that you feel cruisers should carry guns, or that cruisers should have that choice? I think the answers to these questions are far more telling then the 3 questions asked in the poll.
I for one am against guns aboard, I do carry other weapons, and am quite competent in their use. I would much prefer a pacifist approach, and make every effort to look like a bad target. I also believe that people should be allowed to carry guns if they choose, but I also believe they should be ultimately accountable for their actions relating to the use and possession of those guns. If all gun owners were responsible, and showed good judgement, there would be no need for guns.

Old 02-02-2006, 22:21   #143

I agree, Kai.

But unfortunately, there's alot of people who can not control their urges to kill someone in cold blood. And the ones who uses their guns for home protection can also be prosecuted.

I remember back about 11 years ago. This incident took place at night. Some burgular, breaks into a home. The owner heard it. He gets his gun. And the homeowner hears the burgular heading towards the bedroom.

The homeowner fires his gun. Hitting the burgular. The burgular walked out of the house and died outside the house. On the fornt lawn. The cops took the man to jail. And was tried and convicted of manslaughter.

(The catch is this)

If the homeowner, after shooting the burgular. Would have continued to shoot another round. To prevent him from leaving the house. He wouldn't of been convicted? But that's how the law works?

This also depends on which state, in the United States. Not all laws are the same in every state. But simaliar? Lawmakers, whoever they are. Some are rabid fans of the NRA. And others are agianst it. In one form or another. It just depends, on the state. And the laws that govern over that state?

Old 03-02-2006, 08:18   #144

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Pacifist

Definitions are always a problem. My opinion has not changed, I do not own a gun and will not get one. After the farm has sold I will have no need for one. I think we should explore all peaceful means possible ( pacifist ) . It is only by joining together for a common good that our societies work. Read " The making of economic society " But you will not be classified as a pacifist if you answer this question yes. If an enemy attacked your property and started killing your family, would you defend yourself and your family? The weapons on my boat remian the same, whatever is available and that includes the spare tiller handle, knifes and winch handles. But my best weapon is my ability to smell trouble a mile off, and react accordingly. I would not have reacted the same way as Peter Blake, although during regattas and Americas Cup events I may wear red socks.
Michael
Old 03-02-2006, 14:16   #145

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Blake's

problem was that he was not prepared to use the weapon in his hands. The other guy was. Had Blake shot first, the outcome would have been different. He did not. I also do not believe that he sought trouble. Trouble has a way of finding those least prepared for it. Pacifism goes just so far.
You can be a pacafist in BC forever because you are not under attack. Were someone endangering your life and you didn't lift a finger to defend yourself and family, you could lay a claim for pacifism, but that is not the case. You are in the wrong place and time.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Old 03-02-2006, 14:22   #146

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't?

Both Micheal & Jentine.

You are both correct. Either be on constant lookout for trouble. And be prepared for it?

Attackers are usually on alert. And ready to shoot with their guns. Or hack & stab with their knives & machetes. And the captain or crew could just play along. And do nothing. Or defend themselves. Using whatever they could get their hands on? Just like what Micheal said!!

Old 03-02-2006, 17:18   #147
Kai Nui

My grandmother ws a true pacifist. She firmly believed that there was no reason for violence. Even in the case of protecting your family. I do not subscribe to her ideals, but I am one to deal with an attacker by taking more than they can dish out. I have been hit many times, but never knocked down, and believe me when I say that after some POed idiot beats on you for 5 minutes, and your only response is to say are you done yet, or to laugh at them, they will stop. Were my family being harmed, I would stop at nothing to prevent it, but I would be far more likely to divert the attack onto myself before I would initiate an attack on them. I also have the ability to smell trouble a mile away, but sometimes it chases me down. I have found over the years that there are far more gratifying means of retribution than putting a bullet into them. I was once in a situation where someone took something from me through force. I walked away with my head up, and 2 years later, the same thing was done to him with interest. I still have the respect of the people who took from him. Call it Karma if you want, but regardless, bad people have bad habits, and eventually those people will do bad things to people with far lower moral standards than yourself.
And FWIW, I have found that good people have far better memories than bad people. When I see some idiot begging for sympathy after the world has dome him wrong, and I recognise him as someone who has done me wrong years before, it brings a smile to my face. Even if he can't remember me, I still feel vindicated.

Old 03-02-2006, 17:24   #148

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
More pacifist

Jentime I am not sure what you are saying.
I do not know what Peter Blake was prepared to do, and I do not think you know either. What we do know is he is dead and he had a gun on board. He may have been wearing his lucky red socks. I have said many times that a pacifist approach should be your opening gambit, not a confrontational approach. I failed the pacifist test because I answered yes to the question I posed. I am prepared to defend my family with whatever force I can muster. That has been my position since before the question was first asked of me by the US military in 1969. I would suggest that I am in the right place and time. To dream or think otherwise would not be logical. A civilized society should be able to have its citizens practice pacifist ideals. Sometimes the actions of others makes this difficult, but we should still strive for it. Or are you suggesting I am wrong and we should actively seek confrontation.
My previous countries of residence, and my domocile of origin have been actively envolved in the art of war for as long as they have existed. We are at the dawn of an era where many nations are trying very hard to put that behind them. It is not easy. It starts with you and me and then the others.
Michael
Old 11-02-2006, 19:09   #149

What the poll really says

One day Im going on about number crunching,next day Im crunching.go figure!Well as far as I can make out,Pisces started a post that got,7,115 looksies and 148 returns.Rhonda on the other hand got 19,739 looksies but only 286 returns.Now Im not to good at figuring out the numbers so I am asking for help here!!Who in your'e opinion is the best one of these two fine people to have aboard in case of an emergency?And if ya can give me a reason as to why that would help also.This will help the outcome of the new movie"Bumfazzle and the Boom Boom"If we are able to find the perfect Pizza/Hamburger and /or we dont get killed in the interim.Hey Wheels,I dont think Peter likes you,but you are deffinatly good with numbers.Heee.(I carnt get icons to come up,insert ya own)
Old 23-02-2006, 11:35   #150
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Should have posted Firearms Regulations by Country here, instead of under
‘Red Tape & Paperwork’ (tho' that's what it is) at:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/showthr...&threadid=1641

Closed Thread