Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Firearms or Not? What Do You Think . . .
Yes, I think it's a good idea 108 36.36%
Bad Idea 96 32.32%
Not sure, both have merits and faults 93 31.31%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2006, 14:53   #151

Thanks Gord for posting that link here.

I remember that link was on under another general thread!!

It's better off on this thread instead!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 22-03-2006, 17:56   #152

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Disarming

The Basque sp? separatists in Spain have stated they will disarm imeadiately and permanently.
I consider this a good step in the right direction.
Michael
Old 22-03-2006, 18:25   #153

Yeah Micheal.

It'd be nice if the ETA will stick to their disarmament plan?

They said that before in the past!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-04-2006, 19:24   #154

Boat: Jim Brown, Searunner 37, Moon
guns or not....

I crewed on an extended boat delivery and was horrified to learn that the captain had a gun on board. I argued the point several times with him and he couldn't bring me around to his way of thinking.
Then one night about 15 miles off the west coast of Nicauraga we had a threatening encounter that included 3 unlit pongas...The appearance of a calm man on the deck merely holding the weapon sent them off in a hurry. I don't feel I need to go into details, you had to be there. But, that event changed my mind about the whole thing.
I will sail with a gun and pray I never need it! This is the great pacifist speaking.
Old 04-04-2006, 19:58   #155

And I would've of shot them all. If they came too close!!

Kill'em all. And let God sort'em out!!
I'd deal with the law & coasties later over it!!
Maybe?

Old 05-04-2006, 03:51   #156

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
A reminder

It is always better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Old 05-04-2006, 04:37   #157
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Although it may ”always be better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6", it’s simplistic and disingenuous to suggest that these are the only probable outcomes (from which we choose) in any given situation.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:27   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
But that is kinda the Navy mentalety ain't it K. Join the Navy, travel the world, meet lots of really interesting people and shoot them.

I have to say, One positive thing I have found in reading the P&A site, the attitude of them traveling the noted pirate waters was quite an eye opener. Here is an interesting situation. They had boats approach that wanted no more than a cigy. So how many innocent people have been killed out there due to some gunho person that thought something worse of them.
Remember, you have a greater chance of being run over by a Truck or Bus today, than being attacked ont he high seas. So watch out for Trucks and Busses....and don't go shooting at them

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 05-04-2006, 15:06   #159

Boat: Jim Brown, Searunner 37, Moon
Maybe I had better clarify my story...
Before the "3 ponga" incident we had been approached several times by fisherman while we were sailing offshore and all parties had a good time trading supplies...it was pretty fun to meet people while under sail and pretty amazing that those pongas could get out so far. In all of those encounters I never felt any anxiety at all, in fact, we looked forward to them.
The incident of the 3 pongas was much, much different. We were sailing at night with overcast skies and it was black out there. I was on watch for about 3 hours when something caught my eye to starboard. I studied it for awhile and figured out it was a ponga...now those boats can haul some 'A' underway but this one matched our speed about 100 yards off our quarter. It seemed odd to me and I started looking around and wondering if I should wake the Captain, a man notoriously fond of his sleep . Then I made out another ponga about 100 yards to our stern and another about a 100 yards to port...all hidden by the darkness and holding their speed to ours. It felt WAY wrong so I woke the Captain and he came aboard grumbling...but, after about 15 minutes he got uncomfortable as well. He went below to get the spotlight and shined a light on the starboard ponga and it approached. At our hull they informed us that we were getting to run into a reef and that we needed to head for shore. Bad sign...there were no reefs out there, it was the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Nicaurauga. The men in the ponga wore white dress shirts and there were no fishing nets or gear in the boat.
That's when the Captain produced the casually held gun at his side and pretended not to understand them and kept repeating Que pasa! They powered up and took off...although it was difficult to see, we finally noticed all 3 heading back towards shore as a group.
Once again, you had to be there. That should come as no surprise to any cruiser...we all come back to shore with tales that our friends roll their eyes over. You just had to be there.
Old 05-04-2006, 20:40   #160

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Judged by 12

175 people have been released from US jails after DNA evidence proved they were innocent. Some had been in jail for over 20 years. The same thing is happening in Canada. If we had of fried them like they do in Texas I guess they would not have to go to the trouble later of checking the evidence again.
Michael
Old 06-04-2006, 02:40   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quarter Moon’s captain demonstrated a calm & restrained response towards an unknown but suspicious situation when he:
”...when the Captain produced the casually held gun at his side and pretended not to understand them and kept repeating Que pasa...”

Although (on balance) I don’t recommend firearms aboard, this scenario exemplifies the potential utility of being armed.

The evidence is remains unclear (to me) as to the (evil or innocent) intent of the Nicaraguans, but the visible presence of the shotgun dispersed the “unwelcome” visitors, dissolving an uncomfortable situation. Your crew may have missed out on a delightful encounter with the locals, but the potentially dangerous encounter was your overriding concern - and it was avoided without harm or foul. Well done.

Respectfully,
Gord

Old 06-04-2006, 07:29   #162

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I actually have no problems with firearms, however, in a situation such as a potential boarding by probably more than one armed person, accidents will happen. I am certainly not an expert but it would seem to me that resistance with firearms with these types of people could be very bad. And from what I read having firearms can be a real hassel at many ports. I want to make it clear I am more than able to take of myself, but unless you are a trained military or police person you will probably lose. I could go on and on, suffice to say I will not be taking firearms.

Mike & Paula
S/V Tivoli
Old 12-04-2006, 20:36   #163

Quarter,

No amount of explaining will satisfy some who refuse to see the point of your anecdote. To me it is clear: one of the advantages of carrying a firearm is the psychological effect it can have of attackers looking for easy prey. A simple brandishing reveals intention in a hurry. They didn't quickly hold up a fish; they scrambled for shore.

What is truly disingenuous here is to counter you with the same old prejudices when you're making a much-needed fresh point.
Old 14-04-2006, 14:45   #164

Carry one without bullets and use the ILLUSION to ward of would be attackers.
Old 14-04-2006, 14:55   #165

I do have one suggestion to those who wouldn't carry, or those who favor a firearm aboard their boat.

Why not carry aboard a handcarved handgun. Painted up, to make it look like the real thing?

And whenever you just happen to sail and visit any of the South American countries. Where they have the "macho" custom agent types down there. Who probably will not give your gun back? Because it makes him look "macho" in thier society!!

Look at it this way. It didn't cost you much. And maybe. Just maybe. If you claim the wooden handgun. You wouldn't get into any trouble over it? And if you never get it back. Then you really didn't lose much money over it?

Closed Thread