Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Firearms or Not? What Do You Think . . .
Yes, I think it's a good idea 108 36.36%
Bad Idea 96 32.32%
Not sure, both have merits and faults 93 31.31%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2006, 04:17   #271

Strange that this thread has gone on several years and no one mentioned our particular alarm system - two mutts we picked up at a shelter on Sint Maarten. In the Carib they slept on deck at night, stayed on the boat when we were ashore, and no one was going to get near us without us being aware of it. No, they wouldn't stop a determined boarder, but they did eliminate the element of surprise that someone might have counted on; and they are much more entertaining than electronic alarm systems.

Besides, now that we are in Maine, they also keep the v-berth warm at night.

Someone early on questioned if flare guns were considered weapons. In Bermuda they are and must be off-loaded at Customs, who are very pleasant about it and give them back when you depart.
Old 13-11-2006, 05:12   #272
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
We have a small dog. I am constantly amazed at how afraid of him many of the locals are. I have seen two hundred pound men go wide-eyed and panic-stricken when faced with a 12 lb. dog.
Old 23-11-2006, 19:18   #273
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaloha
Strange that this thread has gone on several years and no one mentioned our particular alarm system - two mutts we picked up at a shelter on Sint Maarten. In the Carib they slept on deck at night, stayed on the boat when we were ashore, and no one was going to get near us without us being aware of it. No, they wouldn't stop a determined boarder, but they did eliminate the element of surprise that someone might have counted on; and they are much more entertaining than electronic alarm systems.
Mutts are the best, and good on you for picking them up at the shelter. I had the sweetest border collie/lab mix for many years who was the best security system I can imagine! She never barked unless there was something truly amiss. Sadly, she died a few years ago here in Thailand.

Canibul - That's also amazed me. My dog had the most wonderful disposition, but she instilled fear in others. Throughout much of Asia (especially Muslim Asia, where dogs are reviled) and I believe other parts of the Pacific, a dog would be a wonderful deterent - and there's the advantage that you can leave her/him behind to prevent theft while you're at anchor or in a marina.
Old 24-11-2006, 12:28   #274
Kai Nui

For Tristan Jones fans, a dog is always the first and best choice.

Old 24-11-2006, 18:29   #275

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
One of the drawbacks of having firearms on board is the hassle of declaring and/or turning them over to the authorities in every jurisdiction that you enter. I wonder if there is a similar problem with pets. I was under the impression that dogs brought into the UK, for instance, had to be quarantined for several weeks. Anyone with experience?
Old 25-11-2006, 05:33   #276
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I happen to have some experience with this, not as a cruiser but as a frequent international mover. The UK and Australia each have very strict quarantine rules (6 months for dogs), but many other countries are relatively lax - they only require health certificates. The catch is that they don't all ask for the same jabs.
Old 25-11-2006, 18:11   #277
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Lodesman, you'll find the pet rules on the www.noonsite.com web site. Pick a country then select "Restrictions" from the left column.

Quarantines are quite common and in many cases, you will not be allowed to keep the dog on the boat--you'll be required to turn around and set out to sea again, or worse, the dog may be seized and quarantined on your arrival. IIRC Hawaii is pretty strict about this too, even for US travelers coming from the mainland.

To paraphase Groucho Marx, I wouldn't want to enter any country that wouldn't allow my dog to come in with me. Dogs may carry rabies, but heck, we all know diseased SAILORS have even less redeeming social value.<G>
Old 26-11-2006, 01:47   #278

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Pets carrying firearms are definitely a problem. Not only is it illegal, they tend to be notoriously bad shots....
Old 08-12-2006, 21:20   #279

I'm with Caninbul on this one.

I have a 9mm by my bedside; I got the range every few months to keep my aim up, and honestly it's fun to blow away those bad guy targets. I was in the Navy and learned small arms training as well.

But the reality is that a boat armed with 5 guys with AK 47s coming at you will chop you to bits, and unless you're prepared to keep an arsenal on board, it's not worth it.

I even thought about hiding my pistol; it's small, and I could probably keep it and a few magazines concealed somewhere that I'd feel safe even during an inspection. But what the hell is a pistol going to do? Should I throw it at them?

If I can walk home through downtown every night without a problem, I think I can get by on a boat.

And the last thing I want to do is take my psycho gun loving Americanism with me when I'm out to experience new cultures and chill out.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:40   #280

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
Firearms or Not

I just saw an ad in the CRUISING WORLD magazine 12/06. It converts a flare gun into a .38 caliber pistol. It is an insert that allows the flare gun to fire a bullet. You can order it through WWW.CAPTAINFORHIRE.COM
Old 09-12-2006, 06:42   #281

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
I just saw an ad in CRUISING WORLD, 12/06. It converts a flare gun into a .38 caliber pistol. Shoot one round, cost $85.00 US.; WWW.CAPTAINFORHIRE.COM.
Old 14-12-2006, 07:51   #282
cruiser

Flare guns are for sissies. Get one of these:

Scary, right?? Since I put this on my bow I haven't had an issue. (Obviously this is a little humor and terror injected into the discussion to lighten it up.)
Old 14-12-2006, 08:18   #283

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
robot crew

Yeah you can mount that to your bimini next to the wind generator! It only draws 3 amps!
Old 14-12-2006, 08:47   #284
cruiser

3 amps... ha ha ha! I saw somewhere in the specs that it does draw just over 3 amps when firing. That makes it a perfect defensive weapon to run on Earth-friendly solar and renewable power. (Irony intended)
Old 14-12-2006, 09:54   #285
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeah but one fire of that thing, and you are going to pushed so far back, the next day you go through it all again. You'd be in Ground hog day:-)

If anyone thinks they are invincible with a firearm, I suggest they take up the sport of paintball. It brings your ability of dodging rounds into perspective.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Closed Thread