Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2014, 14:24   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Where to get medicine for ships medicine chest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Another piece of advice I can offer.. Do a google search for "Prepping and medication" or "Prepping and Antibiotics".. Preppers have found all the legal ways around most of the laws (at least in the US).

There is also been studies about the expiration dates. If you look up "Medication expiration SLEP". You will see that many medications do not actually expire anywhere near the date on the label. Some are good indefinitely as long as they are stored right (most antibiotics).
Know what the effects of expired medicine are. Most just lose potency but some become toxic. I'm sure the mfg's are very conservative but don't assume that they are still good beyond the date.

As far as proper storage, don't think I'd be wrong in assuming that the conditions on a boat in the tropics are just about equal to storing them in a bucket of warm water. Definitely not conditions to extend useful life.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 14:53   #47

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Know what the effects of expired medicine are. Most just lose potency but some become toxic. I'm sure the mfg's are very conservative but don't assume that they are still good beyond the date.

As far as proper storage, don't think I'd be wrong in assuming that the conditions on a boat in the tropics are just about equal to storing them in a bucket of warm water. Definitely not conditions to extend useful life.
Yes I would encourage everyone to do the research for the medications you carry (why I posted the information). Yes SOME medications become toxic, those medications are tetracylines (Doxy being one). Most other antibiotics do not have this issue and have a very (if not indefinite) shelf life.

While caution needs to be exercised as medications are serious business. Proper knowledge and information is crucial.

P.S. Proper storage is dry and dark (so in the bottle they come in). It is rarely affected by the ambient temperature.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 17:59   #48
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

We vac sealed ours.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:37   #49

Boat: Boden 36ft sloop

I have done some more research. A lot of generic medications and even antibiotics can be supplied by your local GP once you explain why you need them and what you are doing. From discussions, they would only concent to named people on board as each person would be asked a series of questions to rule out adverse reactions. These would be issued to the captain of the vesel or to another nominated person who has some medical commonsense. A written prescripti OK n would be supplied with what you needed. This will help with customs. Wasnt really that hard, even for trips to isolated areas that are not that far from land or your home. Any expired medications would be returned and a new script issued. These are on the grounds of how long it would take to get help if you were stuck somewhere for a while. Be ho est and also have a list of worst case scinarios. All the doc needs is a valid reason. For morphine etc, training is required. This can be done informally and again, you just have to prove to the doc you know what you are doing. Strong oral medication is easier to get than injectables without formal training. Its worth having and not needed than needed and not having. Mine are locked in a steel hull fram mounted box.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Tacmed is offline   Reply With Quote