Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2020, 13:13   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Where to install an EPIRB?

EPIRBs seem awfully old tech to me, and I'm not a techie. They only send one message, sort of all or nothing.

The new generation of satellite communicators are waterproof and can go in a pocket on your inflatable life jacket. You can use them when you fall overboard, the fate of too many single-handers whose boats were found, but not them. They have SOS function, and allow you to text back and forth to SAR or to any other cell phone. I carry a SpotX, while many people prefer the Garmin, which costs a bit more. I pay $12/month service, which allows tracking on a PC by family and easy "I'm OK" messages. I carry it while riding dirt in our state forest, because there is no cell service up there, and have used it to get my wife to come get me when I had a flat tire.

OH. You can suspend service for the months you are on shore, should your crazy-ass refusal to "act your age" be seasonal.
Old 16-10-2020, 13:33   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
EPIRBs seem awfully old tech to me, and I'm not a techie. They only send one message, sort of all or nothing.

The new generation of satellite communicators are waterproof and can go in a pocket on your inflatable life jacket. You can use them when you fall overboard, the fate of too many single-handers whose boats were found, but not them. They have SOS function, and allow you to text back and forth to SAR or to any other cell phone. I carry a SpotX, while many people prefer the Garmin, which costs a bit more. I pay $12/month service, which allows tracking on a PC by family and easy "I'm OK" messages. I carry it while riding dirt in our state forest, because there is no cell service up there, and have used it to get my wife to come get me when I had a flat tire.

OH. You can suspend service for the months you are on shore, should your crazy-ass refusal to "act your age" be seasonal.
It may be low tech? It will get the CGs attention. No tweeting or whatever just an SOS and position. Only the initial cost of the unit. If my boat sank that is all i'd want.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 13:43   #18

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

I second CarlF's comments about the InReach. Being able to have 2 way comms is more than just useful. With Epirb it is an all or nothing deal. With InReach (or other 2 way sat comms device) can give and get info.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 11:20   #19

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Of course an EPIRB is an all-or-nothing device.

It is intended to automatically augment MAYDAY which should only be used when in “grave and imminent danger”. When one triggers an EPIRB there is nothing left to say other than “This is where I am, please come and get me, if you don’t I’m going to die”.

All those other comms devices are toys that one plays with when you’re not in grave and imminent danger. EPIRB is not a comms device, as the name implies, it is a life-saving emergency beacon.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 12:32   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Of course an EPIRB is an all-or-nothing device.

It is intended to automatically augment MAYDAY which should only be used when in “grave and imminent danger”. When one triggers an EPIRB there is nothing left to say other than “This is where I am, please come and get me, if you don’t I’m going to die”.

All those other comms devices are toys that one plays with when you’re not in grave and imminent danger. EPIRB is not a comms device, as the name implies, it is a life-saving emergency beacon.
Well stated!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 03:32   #21

I'm like most people here. Mount the epirb right near the companionway way hatch.

I also recommend leaving a satellite communicator close to the hatch. We keep our Garmin Inreach Mini always plugged in a very easy to reach location near the companionway.

The Garmin Inreach Mini is 350$ and a 20$ a month subscription its nice to be able to communicate with SAR rather then hoping the epirb is working.
tolip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb