Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 09:20   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Which Tow Service is Best?

We're gearing up for our summer in the US and Canadian waters. We'll hit florida around about May cruise up on the outside to Canada. Spend the summer cruising there and then come back down to the caribbean via the ICW.

Of course, I've never run aground and don't expect to (oops! I lie), but since everyone tells us that we will run aground on the ICW (our draft is 7 feet), I expect we will be better off with a tow insurance.

So which one is best? We'd like one that covers the entire ICW and while we are at it - the US coast and perhaps the Canadian coasts?

Yeah - I know - but while we are asking we might as well ask for the moon and the stars.

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 09:34   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Which Tow Service is Best?

in my hisgtory i have learned that the best tow service is your own dinghy and brain and brawn.
1695$ usd to be taken off a shoal in darkness by sea toad was way too much . btdt.
good luck with tow service... make sure your depth sounders work and you have redundent one in cockpit.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 09:47   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Area specific, Boat US in one area, but SeaTow in the next. Whichever one you buy, it will cover a tow by the other one if the primary is not available. You pay upfront and get reimbursed.
The only time I have ever been towed I had Boat US, it was on a lake that only was serviced by SeaTow. I paid upfront by Credit Card, but had the reimbursement check prior to having to pay the Credit Card bill, easy, no hassle.

It seems however that more Marina's give a discount for Boat US membership than for SeaTow, but again, that may be the area I'm in too. My Marina for example, .25c per ft a night less for Boat US members, nothing for SeaTow

Just roll the dice and buy one, cause they will bend you over the table if you need a tow and are not covered.
Since the Tow services came into existence, people don't help each other out like they used to. I towed a guy a few years ago, and the whole time I did I was shadowed by FWC like I was committing a crime. It was a working class guy in a small boat that didn't have SeaTow money, but needed help. They had swamped their little boat. I believe it was their first experience in the "ocean"
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:41   #4

For a home harbor - go with the company closest to your marina.

For cruising, as the OP asked, Boat US is larger so the coverage map is a point in their favor.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:54   #5

Boat: Moody 346

One very bad experience with sea tow. Boat US the last 10 years and needed once with great service.
captd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:01   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Had to use Boat US twice this year (one a scheduled tow from marina to repair yard) and had an excellent experience both times. Best money on insurance I've ever spent.

Tags
service