Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2022, 08:03   #1

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Who has sailed Cape Town to the Caribbean? I have a question for you

Hello everyone, particularly those of you who have crossed the South Atlantic from Cape Town to the Caribbean.

I'm preparing to join a boat finishing a circumnavigation for the passage Cape Town to the Caribbean via St. Helena beginning January. Not my first ocean crossing, but definitely my first sailing in those latitudes. Trying to decide how much cold I need to prepare for.

I generally lean toward more cold/wet weather gear than I need--if I could shrink my anti-exposure worksuit and carry it around in my pocket for when I might need it, I would--but I'm also trying (as ever) to minimize the stuff I bring, so I have enough room for the essentials for a two-month passage.

Given that it's summer in SA, and given that the Caribbean is the Caribbean, I think I can figure that part out. I can see that temperatures in St. Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha Jan-Feb average about 16-21˚C. I can account for the fact that 16˚C and wet for me feels like 6˚C and wet, and prepare for that.

But how cold does it get in the South Atlantic in the space between?
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 09:52   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Who has sailed Cape Town to the Caribbean? I have a question for you

We did CT to Namibia to St Helena to Ascension to Grenada and the only place that seemed a bit cool was the first couple of days to Namibia - note I said cool, not cold. A few ordinary layers with regular wet weather gear should be more than enough.
Old 26-12-2022, 10:09   #3

Pretty much the same as AinaA. If you look at sea surface temperature there is some cool water right along the African coast, running mid-teens at the time of year most people would make this passage. But get 500 miles out and is already 20C, and by the time you reach St. Helena low to mid-20s.

We found a bit of fog/drizzle/damp chill along the coast north of Cape Town. Nothing, though, the needed more than one extra layer (either foulies if damp, or a coat/sweatshirt/sweater if dry).
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 19:03   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

There are a lot of charter catamarans sailing from the factories in Cape Town to the fleets in the Caribbean.

They would have compiled a lot of information.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2022, 19:54   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

I never wore any wet/foul weather gear between Capetown and The Caribbean, leaving Capetown in January. I don't think I even wore long pants or a sweatshirt. I was walking around capetown in shorts and a tee-shirt, and that is what I wore when I left. It was the easiest, best weather, no squalls or rain passage from Capetown to the ITCZ of my entire circumnavigation. At that point the rain was warm and I was still in shorts and tee-shirt all the way to Florida.

Bring what you feel comfortable bringing. I doubt you would need more than a windbreaker, long sleeve shirt, and basic long pants, and only that for the first few days.
Old 27-12-2022, 02:52   #6

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
There are a lot of charter catamarans sailing from the factories in Cape Town to the fleets in the Caribbean.

They would have compiled a lot of information.
True, thank you.

Although, where's the fun in that? I come to CF for the anecdotes...
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 27-12-2022, 23:29   #7

Boat: Lagoon TPI

The first 3 days I wore jeans. Haven’t worn them since. That was 30 years ago.
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2022, 00:49   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Hello everyone, particularly those of you who have crossed the South Atlantic from Cape Town to the Caribbean.

I'm preparing to join a boat finishing a circumnavigation for the passage Cape Town to the Caribbean via St. Helena beginning January. Not my first ocean crossing, but definitely my first sailing in those latitudes. Trying to decide how much cold I need to prepare for.
You have never sailed south of 32*N before? Golleee

Only difference between east coast US and west coast Australia/South Africa/South America is that they have the cold currents - east coast US has the warm gulf stream.
Old 28-12-2022, 02:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
You have never sailed south of 32*N before? Golleee
Ha! You got me! (55˚N to 14˚N.)
Old 28-12-2022, 02:33   #10

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

This a very long but fairly benign passage with little and sometimes no wind. It is generally warm although clear nights in Namibia can be chilly.

Timing is worth considering. Leaving early, now, will put you in the Caribbean towards the end of the season.
If you are cruising, not in a hurry, then consider a longer stop in Namibia. A road trip there is a not to be missed experience. Kalahari desert and the Skeleton coast. The boat can be left safely in Walvis Bay. St Helena is also worth more than just a quick stop. Ascension is effectively shut now so not worth the hassle.

On the west side stopping at Isla Fernando de Noronha is beautiful. Despite what the pilot books say this is not expensive if you stay for a set number days.
French Guiana is a good stop to regroup. The YC in the Maroni River is excellent and is a good place to leave from to arrive in the Caribbean at the end of the hurricane season.

Stop and smell the roses.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2022, 08:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
This a very long but fairly benign passage with little and sometimes no wind. It is generally warm although clear nights in Namibia can be chilly.

Timing is worth considering. Leaving early, now, will put you in the Caribbean towards the end of the season.
If you are cruising, not in a hurry, then consider a longer stop in Namibia. A road trip there is a not to be missed experience. Kalahari desert and the Skeleton coast. The boat can be left safely in Walvis Bay. St Helena is also worth more than just a quick stop. Ascension is effectively shut now so not worth the hassle.

On the west side stopping at Isla Fernando de Noronha is beautiful. Despite what the pilot books say this is not expensive if you stay for a set number days.
French Guiana is a good stop to regroup. The YC in the Maroni River is excellent and is a good place to leave from to arrive in the Caribbean at the end of the hurricane season.

Great intel. Thank you!
Old 28-12-2022, 10:40   #12

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
...French Guiana is a good stop to regroup. The YC in the Maroni River is excellent and is a good place to leave from to arrive in the Caribbean at the end of the hurricane season.
The only bit I'd disagree with; we hated French Guiana with a passion, the marinas were chock-a-block with permanent semi-derelict yachts and whenever the odd space did become available, it was allocated to whichever French yacht wanted it. That said, we did enjoy a couple of days at Devils island and another half-day visiting the Ariane rocket base; our choice in that neck of the woods would be Suriname every time.
Old 28-12-2022, 11:23   #13

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
The only bit I'd disagree with; we hated French Guiana with a passion, the marinas were chock-a-block with permanent semi-derelict yachts and whenever the odd space did become available, it was allocated to whichever French yacht wanted it. That said, we did enjoy a couple of days at Devils island and another half-day visiting the Ariane rocket base; our choice in that neck of the woods would be Suriname every time.

You are talking about Kourou. The YC is on the St Laurent du Maroni river.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2022, 04:04   #14

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.

We left Port Owen in early March for Lüderitz. While still in the Benguela Current the graveyard watches were cold but manageable in fleece-lined pants and a decent jacket. Take a beanie.
Leaving from Namibia gives you a much nicer wind angle to St Helena Island and give the Vema Seamount a wide berth if you decide to skip Namibia. The tip lies just over 20m from the surface but it can create a confused sea at times.
Old 29-12-2022, 05:55   #15

The scope of the voyage has now changed, as we are starting from Richards Bay. From what I've read/heard, I think I'll bring those work boots and layers after all.

Tags
cape town, Caribbean, rib, sail