Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2020, 03:31   #46

Boat: Bali 4.0
Re: Will I be a target for theft?

I think you're already overthinking it.

There are 1000s of boats out here sitting in and cruising around the Caribbean. None of them are "targets" and you won't be either. Almost all of them have expensive electronics attached to them, almost all of them are traveling with dinghy.

Theft and break-ins are far less common in this world than anything you're living in back home (no matter what neighborhood you're from)... you just need to be smart as anyone hopefully would be while traveling.

Honestly, in our 2 years in the Caribbean, most reports of "dinghy theft" turn out to be a drunken sailor who forgot to secure the painter properly, and while theft does occur it certainly should not be the driving force in your planning as you prepare to cruise.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:34   #47

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
I'm headed to the Caribbean, and I don't think I'll be a target for theft, but I wanted to hear some people's two cents on it. I won't be in a big or fancy boat - rather, she's 30 feet of steel from the 70s. I will have a tiny (6, maybe 8 foot) dinghy with probably 4 hp outboard. I will, however, be outfitted for cruising - I'll have a radar, a nice chart plotter, stuff like that which could potentially give away that I may have some valuables inside (or maybe not?) Anyway, what kinds of boats are usually targeted for theft, what is usually stolen, and how do people usually prevent it (besides locking the cabin)? I'm also a young woman who will probably be solo - does that compound my risk? Any tips for being safe in that arena?
Each island varies, so check local knowledge at the time. I would never leave your dinghy trailing behind the boat, hoist it up alongside or in davits, with the motor locked to the transom. Lock it when in town, to the dinghy dock, or something.

Be back home before dark, and use a hanging LED anchor light, on a photocell. This way, if you are running late, you can find your boat. Hanging it just above deck, lights it up a bit. I use two, so there are no blind spots from the rig.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:20   #48

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapt2029 View Post
We cruised E. Caribbean several years. The thefts seemed to be periodic, a rash for a few weeks ,then stop for a while. We think MOST on boat thefts are opportunistic, a local puttering around and looking for a chance to grab something, we have lost diving gear, portable vhf, coolers. We lost a dinghy and motor, (9" rib with 9.9 4 stroke merc.) they stripped rib and sliced open tubes and left on beach. We think Most of these thieves are semi-pros selling what they can steal. YES, there are fellow cruisers stealing, usually different stuff than locals want.
Lock up your OB motors, dinghy out of water EVEN if you are aboard. Do not leave anything useful or valuable in cockpit or on deck.
years ago, on an unnamed island, we surprised a thief attempting to steal a dinghy & motor from a vessel next to us. We chase him ashore, where he threw down a chain cutter and some tools which we kept, and he ran, we did not follow, but reported to local police. The next morning, officer arrived at our boat and asked for chain cutter and tools because the owner could not afford new ones! The Islands! love 'em or leave "em
My tendency would be to immediately chuck any recovered "tools", or weapons' overboard in as deep of water available.

If the owner, or police want them, they can dive for them.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 14:11   #49

Boat: 35' sloop

I'm reminded here of something a cop told me a long time ago.
To be safe in a risky area, look like predator, not like prey.
If you can lock up your stuff, do so. My valuables are locked seperately inside a locked lazerette. If they want to get inside they will, so think to minimumize they damage they can do. I'd hate to lose the companion way boards for a microwave or portable radio.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote