Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2023, 04:05   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: yesterdays MOB experience

Great detailed account.

The only thing I can add that isn’t in here is an old trick that may or may not have its place anymore with the MOB button on the electronics.

The best thing you can do when someone goes overboard to make the spotter's job easier and everyone’s job easier is to quickly throw some stuff that floats in the water.

Cockpit cushion. An orange life jacket. A cooler. A couple fenders. A few items that are big and float.

this way, you prevent the possibility of losing sight of the MOB. A small debris field is visible from very far away in lots of different sea states. much more visible than just a single person's head out there.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 04:27   #17

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrspeedblade View Post
Thank you for sharing this. Sounds like the person locking eyes on the MOB and pointing the whole time did an especially good job and shows how important this is, not to mention the PFD being worn to buy you the time and make them easy to spot!
I always struggle with red as a high visibility color. Obviously it is but red loses it’s color faster in low light conditions compared to other colors.

Does anyone else struggle with this or am I over thinking it?
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 04:28   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Glad it worked out. It touched upon a pet peeve of mine- the USCG's yielding to political pressure and certifying bad PFDs.

It is unfortunate that the USCG certifies PFDs without crotch straps. Inflatables without crotch straps can AND HAVE allowed people to die. To be clear- The USCG decision to certify inflatable PFDs that do not require crotch straps is stupid!

Only buy a PFD with integrated harness and crotch straps (i.e. Spinlock), and if conditions require the PFD, use the straps. Some may find it draconian, but on my offshore deliveries, it is mandatory for crew.

Of course, if you have a PFD with integrated harness and crotch straps, you can clipa snap shackle to PFD to get the person aboard. Yes males will be rather uncomfortable----consider it penance for falling off.

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 09:53   #19

Boat: Passport 40

Maybe if we didnt have the chute up, there was a mess of lines and the broken pole thrashing around. we also had to get away from the passing ship fast and didnt have much room. At first we were sure the boat behind us would get the MOB but then realized we would have to do it.
Srpulpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 09:58   #20

Good idea, we did have a horseshoe also that could have gone in. MOB button was pushed also so we did have a GPS postion on him, but at least 2 knots of current was taking him away fast.
Old 31-07-2023, 10:05   #21

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Use the Life Sling, it’s designed for that.
Is it? It seems that it too is a basic horseshoe that would require someone to keep their arms down to avoid slipping out.

I agree that the PFD harnesses aren't a proper climbing harness with leg support, more like a swami belt from the old days, but should be sufficient for lifting if properly fitted. Better would be a leg support like shown here: (note also the use of an extended tether to avoid issues with the MOB having to clip their own harness).
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 10:05   #22

We even talked about our PFDs that morning and some were considering whether to use a offshore or the basic ones. Somehow people think that the open ocean should have all the features where inshore can just be basic. I said I only wear one kind that has everything because you can drown anywhere. I use a spinloc auto inflate with double crotch straps, single lifting ring, water activated light and water activated AIS MOB transponder. some people view it as overkill for a day sail but I feel safe with it.
Old 31-07-2023, 19:00   #23

Boat: Sabre 402

Lifeslings help get the crew back to the boat, but getting them aboard is something else. To avoid having to use halyards, running backs w/tackle, or other hoisting methods, we have a triangular MOB tarp, about 8' to a side. The base of it clips between two stanchions. The third corner has a line that is passed under the MOB, outside him and back to a sheet or cabin top winch. Cranking in the line holds the victim next to the boat and brings them up onto the deck.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 21:38   #24

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Lifeslings help get the crew back to the boat, but getting them aboard is something else. To avoid having to use halyards, running backs w/tackle, or other hoisting methods, we have a triangular MOB tarp, about 8' to a side. The base of it clips between two stanchions. The third corner has a line that is passed under the MOB, outside him and back to a sheet or cabin top winch. Cranking in the line holds the victim next to the boat and brings them up onto the deck.

Great technique, which is generically called “parbuckling”. If there’s any chance of the MOB being hypothermic and/or they’re unconscious that is the safest way to get them onboard without them suffering from cold shock by being held vertical in the lift (cold blood from the extremities rushes into the heart. A cargo-style net is an alternative to using a tarp.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:57   #25

Boat: Other peoples

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgWesternMass View Post
I always struggle with red as a high visibility color. Obviously it is but red loses it’s color faster in low light conditions compared to other colors.

Does anyone else struggle with this or am I over thinking it?
A life vest should have a water activated flashing white light attached. They are very inexpensive to add to your jkt.
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:10   #26

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

I don't think you needed to call a Mayday. You had sufficient crew, MOB in sight at all times and could effect rescue on your own. IMO, no need at that point to engage anyone else.

Someone already mentioned hitting the MOB button on GPS/plotter/etc. or drop a marker, waypoint or whatever. In waters with a fairly significant current, I'd toss in a marker buoy/MOB-pole. These are in case you lose sight of the MOB, buoy will move with current, as the MOB will.

Once you had pulled the MOB back to the boat, you should have had him let the rope run through his arms until you brought the horse-collar to him. You don't need a lot of arm-strength to be lifted in a horse-collar.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:29   #27
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I consider our “sugar scoop” swimming platform one of the best safety features we have. Also, I would recommend to have these RescueMe AIS/DSC man overboard beacons to wear inside the vest.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:05   #28

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Congratulations on a successful MOB.

I, like probably most if not all of us have had a lifesling on ,y boats for decades and NEVER knew how to us them correctly. Yeah, it looks simple but if you haven't actually practiced it, it goes like you did.

My YC put on a lifesling training class and it was awesome. We talked about how it was supposed to work etc. In a nutshell it goes like this.

take your lifesling out at the dock. Put the rope back in and like an anchor line, just let it fall and gather as it wants to. Figure out where you MOB will be when next to the boat. Take you lifesling line and put a loop in it next to a nearby cleat. When you brought the MOB back to the boat, throw the loop over the cleat and the MOB is now secured to the boat. Connect a halyard or other lifting line to the Lifesling and hoist the MOB aboard. The lifesling goes under the arms, NOT around the back. You will hurt someone that way. I have an electric winch which helps greatly. Once MOB is connected to my boat I can get them out of the water in a minute.

MOB. Having a crew member dedicated to spotter is crucial. If you have some form of MOB electrocnic marker, mark that position. This is something else to practice. Most, if not all MFD's require you to go to the start page to activate the MOB key. You can't do it from say your nav page. WTF? This is also something you should practice.

We lifted each other with lines hanging from a beam in the building using 2 to 1 and 4to 1 and 6 to 1 purchases. Very instructive.

A long time ago a family was out sailing/racing. The daughter went over the side, they got back to her within 5 minutes. She was 18, an Olympic athlete and expert swimmer with a pfd on in SF Bay. She was also dead. Hypothermia, shock. Point is, you don't know how people in the water are going to react to that cold. Having a cre member call the coast guard would have been a prudent thing to do. Worst thing that will happen is they waste some gas and adrenalin. They won't mind a bit.

This is not meant as a negative critique so JIC, please don't take it that way. Our lifesling class was 2 days long and everyone, on every boat, had to pick up the MOB buoy under sail which in light winds and on the Columbia river brought it's own set of challenges lol. Anyway, I'm a licensed Captain, spent many years on SF Bay, ran tour boats, tug boats etc, power, sail and I learned a lot from the class. I hope this helps people think about their lifesling.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I consider our “sugar scoop” swimming platform one of the best safety features we have. Also, I would recommend to have these RescueMe AIS/DSC man overboard beacons to wear inside the vest.
I love those scoops too, our had MOB had one of those beacons but it was in his other PFD which he wasnt using for this race.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:18   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Congratulations on a successful MOB.

I, like probably most if not all of us have had a lifesling on ,y boats for decades and NEVER knew how to us them correctly. Yeah, it looks simple but if you haven't actually practiced it, it goes like you did.

My YC put on a lifesling training class and it was awesome. We talked about how it was supposed to work etc. In a nutshell it goes like this.

take your lifesling out at the dock. Put the rope back in and like an anchor line, just let it fall and gather as it wants to. Figure out where you MOB will be when next to the boat. Take you lifesling line and put a loop in it next to a nearby cleat. When you brought the MOB back to the boat, throw the loop over the cleat and the MOB is now secured to the boat. Connect a halyard or other lifting line to the Lifesling and hoist the MOB aboard. The lifesling goes under the arms, NOT around the back. You will hurt someone that way. I have an electric winch which helps greatly. Once MOB is connected to my boat I can get them out of the water in a minute.

MOB. Having a crew member dedicated to spotter is crucial. If you have some form of MOB electrocnic marker, mark that position. This is something else to practice. Most, if not all MFD's require you to go to the start page to activate the MOB key. You can't do it from say your nav page. WTF? This is also something you should practice.

We lifted each other with lines hanging from a beam in the building using 2 to 1 and 4to 1 and 6 to 1 purchases. Very instructive.

A long time ago a family was out sailing/racing. The daughter went over the side, they got back to her within 5 minutes. She was 18, an Olympic athlete and expert swimmer with a pfd on in SF Bay. She was also dead. Hypothermia, shock. Point is, you don't know how people in the water are going to react to that cold. Having a cre member call the coast guard would have been a prudent thing to do. Worst thing that will happen is they waste some gas and adrenalin. They won't mind a bit.

This is not meant as a negative critique so JIC, please don't take it that way. Our lifesling class was 2 days long and everyone, on every boat, had to pick up the MOB buoy under sail which in light winds and on the Columbia river brought it's own set of challenges lol. Anyway, I'm a licensed Captain, spent many years on SF Bay, ran tour boats, tug boats etc, power, sail and I learned a lot from the class. I hope this helps people think about their lifesling.
Those slings work great, we were able to circle the MOB without being a danger to him. The wind and waves were causing the boat to rock about.

Tags
enc, mob