Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 10:15   #1
C38

Boat: 1981 Catalina 38 S&S design
4 6v Golf Cart batteries in two banks

I know this is a subject that has beaten to death but I am going to ask opinions...
I have seen discussion that I should be able to start my Universal M5424 diesel with these batteries. If so, my idea is to have 2 banks of 2 6v in series batteries to bring it to 12v. This would give me around a 225AH bank each. I could isolate each for starting or house back and forth as needed. They can be charged together or separate through the charger or engine. Also I thought this would be a good idea as then there would be no difference between the banks as in deep cycle and starting., like it is now.

These are my findings for now on inexpensive batteries...

Duracell Ultra 6V Golf Cart Battery
SLIGC110
Unit Price $109.99

Interstate Batteries GC2-ECL UTL 6 Volt Golf Car Battery

Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance
C38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:27   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: 4 6v Golf Cart batteries in two banks

My humble opinion is that the batteries are "happier" together as a large single bank. When I say together, I don't mean all in physical contact, but rather electrically tied together.

For instance our boat, I created boxes, one on starboard that houses a single group 24 start battery, and a pair of GC2's. On Port I created a box that houses a pair of GC2's. The GC2's are all tied together, and connected directly to the alternator as well as the solar. The start battery is charged with a combine relay and is used for nothing else but starting. Period.

This setup means I have zero thought ever put into switching batteries, or controlling charge. It's all automatic.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:14   #3

Boat: Catalina 387

Go with a big bank of 4 GC2s, and add a small "emergency" or start battery - a G24 would be fine and I'm sure you could find room somewhere for it.

I have a backup/emergency battery just because that was the easiest way to wire and reuse the switch that was there. But I use the house bank for everything - starting, house, etc.. Have never used the backup battery once.

A 'start' battery (where the start battery is only wired to the starter) would be preferred over my 'emergency' setup, but you really need B1/B2/combine switches rather than A/B/Both/off type of switching.

Mainesail has some good musings on why a single big house bank is better than split house banks and various ways of looking at start vs house.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:59   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

If you go to Sam's club you'll be able to get Duracell GC2's for $85 each (or that's how much they were last summer) + core charge
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 14:01   #5

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I have 3 sets of Sam's Club 6V GC batteries connected in a 12V bank. 4 together in one location and 2 more in the bow. Each pair has a disconnect switch for testing/ isolation bur normally they just all reside as one 600 AH bank. Use for starting as well as house. Operating that way for 12 years with no issues. If we start full, typically gives us 3 days down to 50% and we motor enough that a 100 Amp Balmar keeps things in the upper 50% range. Obviously if you operate with no regard for state of charge this type of set up is going to bite you in the butt sooner or later. Has worked well for us but we don't just stop and swing on the hook for weeks on end.

Run a start from each set 3 or 4 times a year just to keep an eye on things.
Have run them down to 12.0 V and then started the 3GM (cold) with no hesitation on the fwd set only. Not for everybody but works for our style of cruising.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 15:17   #6
C38

Thanks for the info all. I am not a member of Sam's Club. I don't know anything about it. But that sure is a good price.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2017, 15:42   #7
C38

Looked into Sam's Club and the purchase of the batteries more than pays for the membership. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:22   #8

Boat: Morgan 41 OI

Find the right golf cart shop and buy Trojan T105s for less than $100. Works great for us.
Ted and Relinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:41   #9

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C38 View Post

If so, my idea is to have 2 banks of 2 6v in series batteries to bring it to 12v. This would give me around a 225AH bank each.Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance
Opinion about battery banks:

Always use a single bank with all your batteries except one isolated starting battery. When you draw down a battery below 50%, it shortens the battery life. Instead of 2 banks with 225 AH each, use 1 bank with 450 AH. If you use 100 AH before charging, you are OK. If you use the same with a half-sized battery bank you are close to harming your batteries.
I would use one bank with the 4 batteries in series parallel and an additional 12v engine battery.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:53   #10

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by C38 View Post
I know this is a subject that has beaten to death but I am going to ask opinions...
I have seen discussion that I should be able to start my Universal M5424 diesel with these batteries. If so, my idea is to have 2 banks of 2 6v in series batteries to bring it to 12v. This would give me around a 225AH bank each. I could isolate each for starting or house back and forth as needed. They can be charged together or separate through the charger or engine. Also I thought this would be a good idea as then there would be no difference between the banks as in deep cycle and starting., like it is now.

These are my findings for now on inexpensive batteries...

Duracell Ultra 6V Golf Cart Battery
SLIGC110
Unit Price $109.99

Interstate Batteries GC2-ECL UTL 6 Volt Golf Car Battery

Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance
Trojan T-105's at Batteries Plus Bulbs have very good prices. Last time the batteries were $85.00 a piece.

Shop around. Trojan batteries are great batteries at a fair price. The first set I bought lasted 8 years.

Good luck
Golden Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:15   #11

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

If your in a pinch for back up battery space, buy a Lithium Jumpstarter. They are advertised in Cruising World and can be purchased on Amazon. While this will supplement a low battery bank to get you going, on its own it cranked my 3 cylinder Universal, with the compression on.
I have 4 Interstate golf cart batteries as my house bank, three years so far and going string
Old 11-05-2017, 13:35   #12

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Wow...that is cheap! I had to pay $310nz each for Endurant batteries version of those. Once again we get robbed here.

My 4x6v have been in for 18mths now with no probs. 2 starboard/2 port with "00" gauge cable. I know ...make one big bank, but with 00 essentially it is, IMO. Wasn't convenient to have all on one side.

Main/emergency switch
Combine/isolate switch
Start switch
ECR
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote