Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 11:21   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
ACR Model 2759 EPIRB service dicontinued

Well...Here we go again...I last reported that since being over in California to ready 'Faiaoahe' for my upcoming crossing to Hawaii, I was moaning about the crappy Blitz gas cans. I settled down from that and looked at the EPIRB I had bought (used) on e-bay and decided it was time to replace the battery ($300). The unit was manufactured 07/99 and the battery expiration is 2004. Ok, 5 years but hear they have a shelf life of 12 years. I have done the test to it and it seems to be ok.
I call Sal's inflatables in North Ca here and was told that they do not service them anymore...WHAT!!! They were told this by ACR.
Knowing these units were $1100 new and this thing is still in it's original box and only 9 years old, I found that ridiculous. The young lady could tell I was a little upset (Duh!) and gave me ACR's number. I called and I get a young lady on the line which obviously new very little. She told me that in fact they do not service them and when I asked why, she tried to tell me that they now use a 406 frequency. I explained to her that is the frequenct the unit is. She continued to fumble excuses on the phone until in desperation I asked for someone that knew what they were talking about. I then talked to a gentleman that informed me that ACR felt that model 2759 had reached their useful life and out of the last 5 units they had tried to swap the battery out, had failed the "visual" inspection by showing stress cracks. And that it would be better for me to shell out another $550 for a new ACR personal unit. While this might be a good choice, I feel it is BS that 'we', who pay the bucks for these things are not able to 1) Buy the batteries ourselves and 2) change it out ourselves.
If I wanted to replace the heat exchanger on my engine, is it ok for Yanmar to tell me I have to buy a new engine since my 4JH has seen it's day? How about my sails? Replace them if i want to put a patch on a chafe area?
I was polite to the gentleman at ACR but I'm not sure they are the only game in town.
In closing I will say that their cost of a battery from their supplier could not exceed $50 and maybe a 1/2 hour labor. So here I am Looking at the EPIRB and hoping for the best.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 14:00   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Went thru that whole thing not too long ago. I have a 2758. Decided it wasn't worht saving. You can buy the batteries thru an electronics store. Here is what ACR says : SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - ACR Electronics "Useful Life" Policy

Here is my conclusion before I decided I didn't have the time to mess with it.http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...y-13377-3.html You can get a slightly better price in the city than from Sal's. If you take the unit apart and look at the battery pack you can find the manufacture and just do a google search for the batteries on their own. I needed 3 lithium 3v batteries total cost was about $50. But you had to figure how to put them together and . . . well I already have a newer one so I'll stick with that.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb