Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 06:32   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
All electric galley: bread toaster

This is for the ordinary toaster with two slots for sliced bread.

Energy consumption for toasting two slices: 50Wh. This is an energy expensive couple of slices of toast but I wonder if it’s better than toasting in a toaster oven.

Our Breville ovens have a setting for the number of slices you put in, with the 800 model going up to 6 slices and our new 900 model even up to 9 slices. I expect reduced energy consumption for less slices; better energy consumption when using maximum slices capacity but less efficient for just two slices.

Anyway, I will post that additional data when I get to measuring it and for now we’ll bring the toaster for the upcoming trip
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 06:40   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: All electric galley: bread toaster

I'd expect the slot toaster to be slightly more efficient. But if it's not a huge power consumption difference, I'd just carry the toaster oven and skip the toaster, as they're more flexible for toasting larger or odd shaped objects (like a thick bagel). And it's 1 less thing to carry around. That said, we have a toaster on board, mostly because there's no space for a toaster oven right now.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 06:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'd expect the slot toaster to be slightly more efficient. But if it's not a huge power consumption difference, I'd just carry the toaster oven and skip the toaster, as they're more flexible for toasting larger or odd shaped objects (like a thick bagel). And it's 1 less thing to carry around. That said, we have a toaster on board, mostly because there's no space for a toaster oven right now.
Agree. We’ll be testing and comparing, then make up our mind
Old 26-06-2020, 10:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Presumably your 50Wh is the first two slices of toast in a cold toaster.
Bear in mind that if you are making more than two slices, the first two will use quite a bit more energy that subsequent pairs.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 10:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Presumably your 50Wh is the first two slices of toast in a cold toaster.
Bear in mind that if you are making more than two slices, the first two will use quite a bit more energy that subsequent pairs.
I doubt that it differs significantly. I think 90% of the browning comes from radiation from the red-hot glowing resistance-wire in the toaster and not much at all from the temperature of the toaster.... I even think that’s just wasted energy. Of-course with the resistance-wire still hot, it will glow faster again next batch and heating the bread will make it brown quicker as well. I hope we’ll need 4 slices of toast soon so I can check
Old 27-06-2020, 04:04   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We haven't had a toaster oven in decades... for no huge reason... but I could see it's utility.

The 2-slot toaster we had on the boat had wide slots to accommodate fat bagels and so forth... and a couple settings, one for toast, one for bagels... seems like one for something else...

Anyway, it's worked very well over the years. The 4-slot toaster we have at home works "OK" for toast but the slots are too skinny for anything else...

-Chris
Old 27-06-2020, 05:37   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We just toasted 4 slices of bread in the Breville 900 oven and it consumed 220Wh doing that.

So there is no comparison, the toaster is more than twice as efficient. If I put 9 slices in the 900 oven, it can hope to equal the toaster, but we never need so much. The question is what a small toaster oven will do... we have a small Black & Decker and may try that as well
Old 27-06-2020, 05:54   #8

Don’t know anything about toaster efficiency

I have this Moulinex because it’s long thin shape stores best in the space available

Label says 1000w Its 220 v
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CAF549B-54AE-4C38-8B38-A278E2654712.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	218137  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 13:40   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Don’t know anything about toaster efficiency

I have this Moulinex because it’s long thin shape stores best in the space available

Label says 1000w Its 220 v
We had that one when we lived in Holland. Get a meter, test and report energy consumption. I’m reporting all this so people can do the math for their energy budget to find how much solar they need, how much batteries etc.
Old 27-06-2020, 14:31   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We don’t do the electric galley thing, but do have a toaster. We don’t have or want a toaster oven, largely due to energy use, a toaster is fast, easy and automatic using the gas oven to toast isn’t.

A Kill-A-Watt meter or similar is exceptionally easy to track usage for those interested, I last used mine on our washing machine and haven’t seen it in years.
The washing machine used very little power, but is irrelevant as we only run it when we are making water, and for us that means the generator is running.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 14:47   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
We don’t do the electric galley thing, but do have a toaster. We don’t have or want a toaster oven, largely due to energy use, a toaster is fast, easy and automatic using the gas oven to toast isn’t.

A Kill-A-Watt meter or similar is exceptionally easy to track usage for those interested, I last used mine on our washing machine and haven’t seen it in years.
The washing machine used very little power, but is irrelevant as we only run it when we are making water, and for us that means the generator is running.
With the new ovens, toasting is one of a dozen modes sothere are many other reasons to have an oven: I assume you have a gas oven?

Tags
electric, galley