Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 10:22   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
All electric galley: convection oven

This has been a challenge to find. We have been using small Black & Decker toaster ovens for many years as it was all that we could fit while also carrying the Force10 propane stove. Because of the heat and moisture from the propane stove, we tried to make everything with the little toaster oven. The propane oven was used for pizza and large oven dishes like lasagna that do not fit the little toaster oven.

Then in 2012 we also bought a motorhome. It had a Sharp convection oven / microwave combination oven. Results from that were mediocre but acceptable. We added a Breville 450XL mini smart oven which is a hit. Perfect in combination with the big oven but not enough oven to do it all.

We decided to test a Breville Smart Oven Pro which was the first convection oven for Breville. We’re still using that but it has some problems like noisy fan, not always hot enough for pizza, oven fries etc. so we kept on looking. We found some alternatives but they were either too expensive, too smart requiring wifi etc. or both. Then Breville released the model 900 (Smart Oven Air) and they got a winner. The problem is finding it as neither Amazon nor eBay have it. We did find it at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $400.-
There are still many reviews reporting problems like shattered doors, noisy fans etc. but much less than the 800 model we have and think is still a good choice for bread, pizza, oven dishes. Time will tell how this one holds up.

Of particular interest for use aboard boats is that it has proofing mode (dough, yogurt etc.), dehydrate and air fry modes, besides bake, broil, roast, slow cook, toast, bagel and cookies.
We just received ours and hope to be testing it at anchor in the Bahamas soon
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:16   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: All electric galley: convection oven

I've been looking at those, as we don't have an oven on board. But they take up a lot of storage space. And I think we'd have to put it on the stove to use it. So I'm considering swapping the 1980s microwave for a convection one, probably the 1.2 cubic foot Samsung over as it'll be the easiest to fit. Not quite a real oven, but it would at least give us something more than stove and microwave, which should be enough for our needs.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:18   #3

When you put an electric oven into a box it overheats and its electronic brain goes numb

Ventilation is critical
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:40   #4

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

We’ve used one aboard for over 2 years now. Works like a charm. SWMBO is a pastry chef. This oven, 2 induction plates and a “corner” microwave make our all-electric galley hum nicely. We are fulltime cruisers.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:53   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I've been looking at those, as we don't have an oven on board. But they take up a lot of storage space. And I think we'd have to put it on the stove to use it. So I'm considering swapping the 1980s microwave for a convection one, probably the 1.2 cubic foot Samsung over as it'll be the easiest to fit. Not quite a real oven, but it would at least give us something more than stove and microwave, which should be enough for our needs.
You my be better off with one of those small, stainless steel Black & Decker ovens... I have one for sale (but I’m serious, at $40 or so they are amazing) https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...s%2C181&sr=8-1
Old 07-06-2020, 12:54   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
We’ve used one aboard for over 2 years now. Works like a charm. SWMBO is a pastry chef. This oven, 2 induction plates and a “corner” microwave make our all-electric galley hum nicely. We are fulltime cruisers.
Sounds much like our setup... except you still need that rice cooker
Old 07-06-2020, 12:55   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You my be better off with one of those small, stainless steel Black & Decker ovens... I have one for sale (but I’m serious, at $40 or so they are amazing) https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...s%2C181&sr=8-1
Generally we don't miss an oven much on the boat, but if we can find a spot to store it, a countertop oven is probably the better answer.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:59   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
When you put an electric oven into a box it overheats and its electronic brain goes numb

Ventilation is critical
Exactly, this oven is designed for use on the countertop. It’s 12” high and needs 6” space above for ventilation, so 18” high space total.

Ovens designed for in-cabinet use have double walls with forced ventilation in between the walls.
Old 07-06-2020, 13:13   #9

Quote:
Sounds much like our setup... except you still need that rice cooker

Hehe. We do have a small (2l) pressure cooker, and will soon have a retained heat cooker. Rice cooker takes up a lot of room.

Different strokes, I guess. [emoji3]
Old 07-06-2020, 13:13   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

We’re looking at the Panasonic Steam Convection Microwave Oven. It has a trim kit and will fit in the propane oven cavity and can easily vent it into a cockpit locker (the ex-propane locker). We know a few people who have these in their land homestead are happy with them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2412.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	216773

We roast and grill a fair bit and bake bread and pizzas. An oven is nice to keep bacon warm while cooking the pancakes, crepes, or French toast.

A non-microwave version is cheaper. Do folks use microwaves on their boats or are those for busy land lives only?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 13:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We roast and grill a fair bit and bake bread and pizzas.

Bit of drift, but just to mention: an oven stone, used both in the oven and on the grill, does a lot for bread and pizza.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	216774
Old 07-06-2020, 14:06   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
Hehe. We do have a small (2l) pressure cooker, and will soon have a retained heat cooker. Rice cooker takes up a lot of room.

Different strokes, I guess. [emoji3]
We don’t need the pressure cooker because most of our meals are pressured canned before leaving
BTW that rice cooker is small: 2 quart so just under the size of the 2 liter pressure cooker

Retained heat cooker? Show us
Old 07-06-2020, 14:09   #13

Quote:
We don’t need the pressure cooker because most of our meals are pressured canned before leaving

BTW that rice cooker is small: 2 quart so just under the size of the 2 liter pressure cooker

Retained heat cooker? Show us

Now, Jedi, what part of “will soon” don’t you understand, lololol? 🤪[emoji23]
But, seriously, I will post here once it’s done.
Old 07-06-2020, 14:10   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We’re looking at the Panasonic Steam Convection Microwave Oven. It has a trim kit and will fit in the propane oven cavity and can easily vent it into a cockpit locker (the ex-propane locker). We know a few people who have these in their land homestead are happy with them.

Attachment 216773

We roast and grill a fair bit and bake bread and pizzas. An oven is nice to keep bacon warm while cooking the pancakes, crepes, or French toast.

A non-microwave version is cheaper. Do folks use microwaves on their boats or are those for busy land lives only?
You should see that oven as a microwave with tricks. It is much like the Sharp we have... probably with carousel.

We use a microwave and that will be gimbaled as it’s what we use while under sail. I would like to get a new one based on inverter technology like the Panasonic’s
Old 07-06-2020, 14:37   #15

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
You should see that oven as a microwave with tricks. It is much like the Sharp we have... probably with carousel.

We use a microwave and that will be gimbaled as it’s what we use while under sail. I would like to get a new one based on inverter technology like the Panasonic’s

No carousel, which is one of the features we like. Still not sure how necessary a microwave is when cruising.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, galley, oven