Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2020, 16:46   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
All electric galley: induction cooktops

I know I’m getting in trouble with this one but that’s okay

I have often recommended professional grade induction cooktops from brands like Cooktek (of which I have a 3,000W single burner drop-in model) or Vollrath (of which I have a portable 1,800W model). These support 100 power levels, thermostat control for simmering or deep frying and are really great units. But aboard Jedi, we have two consumer grade, cheap portable models.

The reason is that we did all the cooking before setting sail, using a pressure canner to make dishes from a simple soup, chili con carne or pasta sauce, to all kinds of elaborate stews and even a near perfect Thai chicken curry. All these dishes need is reheating plus sides of rice and pickled vegetables.

The only reason we carry two induction units is for redundancy as we only use one simultaneously. Besides these induction units, we also use an electric oven, rice cooker, bread maker, coffee maker, microwave and a propane fired grill in the cockpit.

I recommend to select two different models and to have at least one that is rated at 1,800W.

At the moment we put this on top of our old Force 10 propane stove, which is just used as a gimbal platform. This will be replaced with a proper purpose built platform that also hold a microwave underneath. The platform will support an induction cooktop or a rice cooker or a coffeemaker etc... whatever you need while under sail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	982FB7F6-1E53-4C5F-997A-675934A36407.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	217160  
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 07:12   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: All electric galley: induction cooktops

Breakfast using the induction cooktop and countertop convection oven
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	50E70C29-964D-4D37-AB63-AB25E040FD2C.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	217336  
Old 14-06-2020, 07:29   #3

How are you finding those tabletop induction stoves?
I am looking at doing something very similar. Was considering a dual stove top and building a frame around that to make it look nicer over the old (backup) propane stove top. Aside from redundancy are there any pros/cons to go with 2 units v's 1 dual unit?
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 07:32   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Looks like a good plan for that setup. Makes me want to upgrade my old school coil electric stove...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200612_204513.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	217337  
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 09:45   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewA2 View Post
How are you finding those tabletop induction stoves?
I am looking at doing something very similar. Was considering a dual stove top and building a frame around that to make it look nicer over the old (backup) propane stove top. Aside from redundancy are there any pros/cons to go with 2 units v's 1 dual unit?
I recommend portable, single burner, 1,800W. The second unit is more for backup than for cooking. What you normally do with the second burner, you can also do with the convection oven (incl. bake, broil etc.), microwave oven (steam veggies, reheat beans etc.) or a rice cooker, coffeemaker, bread maker.
Old 14-06-2020, 09:46   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Looks like a good plan for that setup. Makes me want to upgrade my old school coil electric stove...
that your breakfast
Old 14-06-2020, 10:04   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
that your breakfast
I wish. That was Friday night's dinner. Although if we'd brought eggs with us for the weekend I might have made breakfast with the leftovers.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 10:37   #8

Quote:
I recommend portable, single burner, 1,800W. The second unit is more for backup than for cooking. What you normally do with the second burner, you can also do with the convection oven (incl. bake, broil etc.), microwave oven (steam veggies, reheat beans etc.) or a rice cooker, coffeemaker, bread maker.
I have a 3000w inverter - any concerns running 2x1800w ? Or do they not really peak that high in reality ?
Need min 2 burners for the size of family on board
AndrewA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 10:59   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have a 3000w inverter - any concerns running 2x1800w ? Or do they not really peak that high in reality ?
With an 1,800W cooktop the size of family shouldn’t matter.... we use it with an 8 quart pot easily (but I don’t know the size of your family haha)

Buy an energy meter like I use (kill-a-watt or clone) and see how much power it uses at which settings. You obviously can’t use both at full power.

I think you would use the second burner for rice, potatoes, veggies etc. and for that you can use the other options I listed. If you really need to have two pots with same contents for huge quantities, then you can get a 14” burner that can take a 20 quart pot. It is a stainless professional model at much higher price but it needs to be able to take the weight: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you really need a 2-burner unit, you would still need an extra unit for backup. You can buy dual burner 1,800W units that automatically split power over both burners so you can’t use more than 1,800W total... but that also means you can’t pan fry while using the other burner as well. This is why the good dual burner cooktops are 240V 3,600W.
Old 22-06-2020, 16:28   #10

For make bubbly, airy loaves of bread and deliciously chewy pizza crusts, you have to work the dough to build up gluten. Gluten is formed by a solid web of cross-linked proteins that traps gas bubbles and grows as the dough cooks. You have to knead the dough for it to develop gluten, but getting enough gluten when you’re working with a wet mixture like pizza dough may take up to 20 minutes, especially if you’re kneading by hand.

You can use a stand mixer, but by far the quickest, most effortless way to work almost any dough is using the Food Processor. The fast movement of the blades in a food processor can make your dough elastic within minutes almost effortlessly. The food processor also helps you make sure that the dry and wet ingredients are evenly incorporated and helps you avoid any unpleasant unmixed pockets of flour. By far, the easiest doughs you’ll ever make.

How to Know When the Dough Is Kneaded Enough in the Food Processor
When your dough is kneaded to the right point, it should have a smooth, almost shiny appearance. A good test is pulling the dough: pinch it and pull, it should feel very elastic and should spring back into place.

Here are a couple of tricks we’ve found for making and working doughs in your food processor.

1. Stick to the Blade

Most food processors come with plastic dough blades, but we found they are not the most appropriate tool to get the job done. They tend to drag the dough around the bowl or the dough ends up stuck to the sides, out of reach. Use the metal blade: though it’s mainly designed to chop and process food, it’s way better at working and kneading the dough than the plastic blades.

2. Use Cold Water

The friction created by the food processor’s action produces heat that slowly warms the dough. Too much heat could kill yeast and affect both growth and flavor, so it’s important to use chilled or iced water when you’re going to knead dough in a food processor.

3. Don’t Add All Ingredients At Once

Adding all the ingredients together before starting the food processor might make a mess, flour and liquid everywhere! Try adding the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients while the processor is running to make sure they slowly mix together and the dough forms evenly.

4. Avoid Over-Kneading

Don’t over-knead, especially if the dough has butter in it; the heat from the processor can melt the butter and that might affect the texture of the dough once it’s cooked. Check if the dough is elastic enough and you’re good to go.
Thomlynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 11:18   #11

Boat: 1997 Bavaria 46E

We're a 230V boat, does anyone have recommendations for an induction portable cooktop (1 or 2 burner)?
raingolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 13:42   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingolfer View Post
We're a 230V boat, does anyone have recommendations for an induction portable cooktop (1 or 2 burner)?
Do you mean European 50Hz or 60Hz?
Old 27-06-2020, 14:13   #13

Quote:
While the burners will deliver 1800w for as long as you have them turned on, I'm struggling to think of anything you would cook at that power level for a sustained period. As a comparison, for us a big pot of pasta for 4 on a fast boil is 1200w, steaks are ~800w and a simmering casserole is 4 to 600w.

Cheers
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 14:32   #14

Quote:
I know I’m getting in trouble with this one but that’s okay

I have often recommended professional grade induction cooktops from brands like Cooktek (of which I have a 3,000W single burner drop-in model) or Vollrath (of which I have a portable 1,800W model). These support 100 power levels, thermostat control for simmering or deep frying and are really great units. But aboard Jedi, we have two consumer grade, cheap portable models...
We have 2 cheap Kmart specials at home and are very happy with them to the point that our regular gas hotplates now sit totally unloved. What started as a convenience for outdoor cooking and entertaining has seen my wife abandon the traditional unit and cook 80% of our meals on these accidental finds.

The only down sides we see on the cheap units are:

Power settings below 800w is actually PWM of 800w vs a consistent lower power setting.

Power settings are in 200w steps vs infinitely adjustable

The glass cooktops are very slippery.

We do occasionally see error codes or timeouts when cooking for very long periods. The maximum timer setting is 180 minutes.

These are all very easy to deal with and we, or I should say the Admiral, is very happy with them.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 14:44   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
We have 2 cheap Kmart specials at home and are very happy with them to the point that our regular gas hotplates now sit totally unloved. What started as a convenience for outdoor cooking and entertaining has seen my wife abandon the traditional unit and cook 80% of our meals on these accidental finds.

The only down sides we see on the cheap units are:

Power settings below 800w is actually PWM of 800w vs a consistent lower power setting.

Power settings are in 200w steps vs infinitely adjustable

The glass cooktops are very slippery.

We do occasionally see error codes or timeouts when cooking for very long periods. The maximum timer setting is 180 minutes.

These are all very easy to deal with and we, or I should say the Admiral, is very happy with them.
Indeed, even entry level units outperform gas. What you get with more expensive units is much more “real” power levels (20 or even 100) and thermostat control, which is great for deep frying, simmering etc.

Tags
electric, galley