Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2020, 09:20   #181
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: All electric galley: rice cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Next time, maybe. I made a boatload, so it'll take a while...
FWIW, we don't can, and don't go through enough yogurt to make fooling with that worth while. We do occasionally use a slow cooker, although I'd guess the IP could replace that if space gets tighter. In the meantime, we do very often pressure cook a big-ish roast, corned beef, etc. just as we've done at home for the last 60 years or so... and that's where the IP makes things a bit easier for us onboard, compared to a stove top PC. Most times we're making one meal for "today" and planning 2-3 more meals from the leftovers.

-Chris
We used to do that as well, but have converted to expedition style cruising where we bring all we need and take back the garbage. It’s not possible to keep yogurt for 3-6 months so we have to make it and use it for breakfast almost daily. We have two freezers loaded to the gills with meats etc. for grilling and can’t fit any more for stews and other meals hence the pressure canning as well as pickling etc.

We had planned to be testing our first 6-month run like now but because of Covid we have been stuck but will be leaving with 18 weeks of provisions that are left
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 09:43   #182
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

You guys do know a rice cooker cooks more than just rice right ??
https://youtu.be/gem1YfRDYBc

https://youtu.be/ZDI7MGaPT18

https://youtu.be/rvXpodBkDpU

The list goes on there are even many cake and bread recipes for the rice cooker.
Old 18-06-2020, 11:52   #183

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We used to do that as well, but have converted to expedition style cruising where we bring all we need and take back the garbage. It’s not possible to keep yogurt for 3-6 months so we have to make it and use it for breakfast almost daily. We have two freezers loaded to the gills with meats etc. for grilling and can’t fit any more for stews and other meals hence the pressure canning as well as pickling etc.

Heh... You're away from the dock far more than we are, or ever will be. Which means our freezer was easily big enough for a month's worth of roast and meats for grilling plus some veg... especially given there's usually a restaurant just down the street or groceries not too far away.

When we were offloading our galley a couple weeks ago for handover, I found a blender... don't remember ever using it on board. Dunno why it was there in the first place. I usually reckon if a drink needs more than two ingredients, it's too complicated and I can't be bothered. And ice is an ingredient.

-Chris
Old 18-06-2020, 14:22   #184

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
You guys do know a rice cooker cooks more than just rice right ??
https://youtu.be/gem1YfRDYBc

https://youtu.be/ZDI7MGaPT18

https://youtu.be/rvXpodBkDpU

The list goes on there are even many cake and bread recipes for the rice cooker.
Indeed, look at all these buttons on this $39 rice cooker! It comes with the steam basket as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B53FD3C-2A35-4548-8678-F3077E4DE2BA.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	217665  
Old 18-06-2020, 17:40   #185

Boat: Riva 48

May be it is time to address the physics of rice cookers vs IP to understand the differences. My understanding (I could be wrong) is that rice cookers keep on boiling the water (212F) until it either evaporated or is absorbed by the rice. It is not absolutely critical to have the correct ratio of rice vs. water but it helps. Once the water has evaporated they stop. This makes perfect rice.

Pressure cookers work under pressure (either 7 psi or 11 psi for low/high settings on the InstaPot. They only regulate pressure and time. The combination of high pressure and higher temp (up to 242F at 11 psi) cooks the rice or any food much faster, ie in 5-8 min vs 20-40 for the rice cooker. However, you need to be careful about the ratio of rice to water for your particular type of rice.

Assuming the above is correct, an IP is likely more efficient and faster but there is more room for error. This is why some people love the IP and others claim marginal results. For me, the IP on the boat is great. It uses about 5-7 AHrs per meal (I have the smallest version) and I do like steamed foods. If you want to experiment with an IP, my advice is to buy a big bag of rice that you like and start experimenting with pressure, time and water to produce rice to your liking. If you have space for a rice cooker, definitely do that.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 08:12   #186

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
May be it is time to address the physics of rice cookers vs IP to understand the differences. My understanding (I could be wrong) is that rice cookers keep on boiling the water (212F) until it either evaporated or is absorbed by the rice. It is not absolutely critical to have the correct ratio of rice vs. water but it helps. Once the water has evaporated they stop. This makes perfect rice.

Pressure cookers work under pressure (either 7 psi or 11 psi for low/high settings on the InstaPot. They only regulate pressure and time. The combination of high pressure and higher temp (up to 242F at 11 psi) cooks the rice or any food much faster, ie in 5-8 min vs 20-40 for the rice cooker. However, you need to be careful about the ratio of rice to water for your particular type of rice.

Assuming the above is correct, an IP is likely more efficient and faster but there is more room for error. This is why some people love the IP and others claim marginal results. For me, the IP on the boat is great. It uses about 5-7 AHrs per meal (I have the smallest version) and I do like steamed foods. If you want to experiment with an IP, my advice is to buy a big bag of rice that you like and start experimenting with pressure, time and water to produce rice to your liking. If you have space for a rice cooker, definitely do that.

SV Pizzazz
I agree with your description of the cooking process for these methods but your conclusions are wrong. The IP requires 20% more energy than the rice cooker as measured during my tests. Making high pressure and high temperature costs more energy than maintaining a lower temperature at atmospheric pressure. 20% is a lot more.

Also, in this case, the faster cooking result with the IP does not mean better rice. I have done at least a dozen tests and still did not find a result that can stand up to the humble rice cooker. From all that was shared in this thread, it seems that a longer process produces the better results.

This thread is just about rice cookers but as shown before, the rice cookers can also steam, slow cook etc. so that is nothing extra from the IP.
Old 21-06-2020, 04:06   #187

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Update: tried rice with the IP again. Used less water and only 4 minutes of natural release time. The result is good and I don’t think I can tell the difference in a blind test.

I did 2 rice cups of Thai jasmin rice, rinsed it well, drained and into the pot. Added water so that the 2-cup line was just below the surface of the water. Then did the Manual button, 5 minutes high pressure, followed by 4 minutes natural release, then quick release and fluff the rice.

So yes, the IP can cook rice well once you work it out. The negative is that you have to watch the time yourself, no beeps when you need to release pressure and fluff the rice
Old 21-06-2020, 04:10   #188

Fluff?

Whassat?

Open the lid immediately and stir it up, something like that?

All rice? Or just Jasmine? Or...?

-Chris
Old 21-06-2020, 05:37   #189

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Fluff?

Whassat?

Open the lid immediately and stir it up, something like that?

All rice? Or just Jasmine? Or...?

-Chris
Man if you don’t know Thai jasmin rice yet you are in for a treat. You do need new crop so it’s not an item you can store in an emergency supply for 30 years but it’s just the rice itself, nothing is added. The aroma comes with this type of rice and is perfect for almost every dish!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmine_rice

Fluffing: yes, I thought this is how Americans call it. You take a fork and fluff it up
Old 21-06-2020, 08:40   #190

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So here is a question to those who love their IP: you claim you cook al your meals with it using pressure cooking, slow cooking and steaming. So, when you use the IP for cooking rice, how do you prepare the rest of the meal? To me it seems you need a rice cooker besides the IP?!
Old 21-06-2020, 08:43   #191
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
So here is a question to those who love their IP: you claim you cook al your meals with it using pressure cooking, slow cooking and steaming. So, when you use the IP for cooking rice, how do you prepare the rest of the meal? To me it seems you need a rice cooker besides the IP?!
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 10:15   #192

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Wow! So each layer is the lid for the layer below and each layer gets its own moisture etc. I can see that work. I think you also mentioned a nonstick pan before... do you have links where to buy that?
Old 21-06-2020, 15:03   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow! So each layer is the lid for the layer below and each layer gets its own moisture etc. I can see that work. I think you also mentioned a nonstick pan before... do you have links where to buy that?
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=instant+p...b_sb_ss_i_1_15
Old 22-06-2020, 03:44   #194

Quote:

In our case, if we're using the IP as a pressure cooker, we're likely not having rice with the roast or whatever...

Or if we're making rice in the IP (now that we're beginning to learn how to do that in the IP), we also have a slow cooker on board -- at least for now, still -- and anyway often our rice accompaniment (steaks or chops or whatever) is done the propane grill outside.. or perhaps in a skillet on the stove top. Ropa vieja is example of the latter...

Anyway, it doesn't seem like a problem...

-Chris
Old 22-06-2020, 05:40   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

personally I think the IP sucks at being a slow cooker.

Its a pressure cooker for me period.

Tags
electric, galley