Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2020, 20:17   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: All electric galley: rice cooker

Today I measured energy consumption of cooking rice in a Fissler pot of similar size of the rice cooker, on a Fissler induction cooktop. Total consumption was 130Wh so 30% more than the rice cooker (which scored 100Wh)

I think this confirms that there’s only advantages to the rice cooker
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 07:03   #47

Boat: Hunter 466

Hmmmm.. been making rice for decades using a pot. I remember my mom being freaked out whenever she made "real" rice... not MinuteRice. I'd get my knuckles rapped any time I lifted the lid to take a peak. That all changed when I got married. He taught me how to make rice (no he's not asian). Rinse, rinse rinse. Once rinsed, leave about 3/4" of water above the top of the rice, bring to a boil, take off the heat and set aside. Perfect every time! I have used a rice cooker in the past (for making mounds of rice for a dinner party), but it can be tricky when making different types of rice. We cook Basmati for some thing and short grain Kokuho Rose (sticky) rice for other things. They have very different water requirements which I found a rice cooker doesn't automatically accommodate.

BTW, we ARE foodies and love to cook. So perhaps we have more patience than most cooks of necessity... like my poor departed mom who had to cook for 6 kids!!
patmvcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 07:24   #48

Boat: Taswell 43

following
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 08:38   #49

Another vote for the instant Pot. It's mindblowingly simple and saves hours or cooking. My wife's made: lemon curd for the cheesecake(better than NY cake according to this NYer), rice, bean cooker, fish stew last night, got the air fryer lid and made french fries, I make pasta and sauce in 35 mins(almost as good as stovetop by this Italian), made ricotta, mozzarella, yogurt, it's endless. Not certain on the wattage though.
houseofcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 09:29   #50

Unfortunately that rice cooker is not induction. Which would have been more efficient.
Lasivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 14:26   #51

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, MK I

This:
"Rinse, rinse rinse. Once rinsed, leave about 3/4" of*water*above the top of the rice, bring to a boil, take off the heat and set aside. Perfect every time!"

An ex-gf was Chinese and her dad made his living as a cook in Chinese restaurants - Even owned one. At work he used rice cookers for simplicity and quantity. At home, used the above method except it was, "Wash in pan and drain (usually three times) until the water comes off clear not cloudy. Fill with cold water until the water above the rice reaches the fold of first knuckle on index finger when tip of finger is touching rice. Cover. Bring to boil. Turn off heat and set aside." Different rices take a bit more or less water, or pre-soak, etc., but it isn't rocket science and if it needs more water to be done, add hot water from a kettle or even tap. Perfect every time.

GF is history, but it's still how I cook rice. Yes, the first time with something different I sometimes have to adjust, that is cooking. I'm sure a good, modern rice cooker manages all those things.

Why would anyone stir rice while its cooking? It's dead easy.

I worked in a Japanese restaurant during college. We used rice cookers because they were simple and you didnt have to pay attention. We were cooking much larger, consistent quantities.

The only things I would suggest is if you use a pan, you have good pans. If you are concerned about saving energy, let it sit in the water for an hour and use a bit less water or remove early and set it aside with a wrap for a period of time until cooking and absorption is done. I use both ultralight hiking and it saves a ton of energy. Usually stove time is about 33% of "normal." It's all about forcing water into a dehydrated substance, not exactly haute' cuisine.

I dont think there is a "right" answer. If you have the storage space, electricity available, and want a set and forget, a rice cooker works fine. If you (like me) use a wok and pan to prepare 80% of your meals and have a timer in your head, use a pan. I find if I put on the rice first, I'm standing there cooking the veggies and meat when the rice is done so it isnt hard to turn the knob off when the lid tells me the water is boiling.

I was trained properly, so cooking never interferes with my ability to enjoy a drink. ��

I am really curious how Jedi finds an induction stove works energy-wise on a sailboat, so have to read up on that. If it works for his situation, great. If it doesn't work better for me, no problem. Like many of us I'm sure, it's the tinkering in search of efficiency I enjoy. If someone doesn't like cooking and instead puts that time into saving energy via induction? Cool! I can steal their knowledge.
Elzaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 23:02   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You guys are amazing! Here are the facts:

- rice cooked on an induction plate costs 30% more energy than a rice cooker

- rice cooked on propane or regular electric plate costs at least 2x the amount of energy than a rice cooker

- when you don’t use a rice cooker, you can hopefully match the quality rice and do it right every time, but you’re not gonna make better rice than with a rice cooker.

- an InstantPot makes mediocre rice

- please don’t talk about 5-minute rice...

- please don’t imply we don’t love to cook. Every meal we eat is home cooked, often Asian

- top chefs of the world love induction

- every Asian family uses rice cookers

I do think that an induction based rice cooker can be more energy efficient but never saw a small one, while the big ones will lose all the advantage for small quantities.
Old 30-05-2020, 02:26   #53

FYI - original Instant Pot brand has a rice setting. Rinse rice, then equal parts rice and water. IP then goes into an auto mode and cooks the rice at pressure for about 10-mins. Let it sit for 10 more mins afterward. Rice is very good to our tastes and has a slight tooth to it - not overdone at all.

I'm not saying it's as good as a rice cooker, but for us it's very good. At home I have a fancy Zojurushi and it's great. But our boat has limited space. The IP has replaced a stove top pressure cooker, a crock pot, and fills in as a rice cooker. For us, it's a great tradeoff.

However, the OP seems to eat a lot of rice. I don't blame him one bit for refusing to compromise. Coffee is my no-compromise item. I refuse to have coffee that doesn't make me weak in the knees when I have my first cup at dawn. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	216180
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 02:46   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I have a few rice cookers. Not a bad one yet from the £10 to the £300 one.

Now, rice cooked in the instant pot can be
2 cups basmati,
2 and1/4 cups water
salt and 6 minutes on the cook. In the USA, it took 7 minutes to get the same texture. different voltages but I dont know why. Was not an altitude thing.
Or
experiment with different rices and spices and settings etc

Im pretty confident that by adding bits and pieces to the rice, you would not know the difference between instant pot and rice cooker.

As space is limited on board... I just use the Instant pot. Rice is one of its many capabilities.

I eat Rice a lot.. very picky on how its cooked. My girlfriend is Hong Kong Chinese.. she likes what can be done with the Instant pot. Like anything, working on the rice beforehand can change it's flavour profile immensely.. Takes but a minute.

I am also a firm believer that a mans mind changed against his will is a man of the same opinion still.

So the opinions expressed here are mine and my judgement on the rice thing. Everyone to their own...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 04:37   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have an Instant pot, it does have a rice mode, the pan is stainless, not non-stick and it pressurizes for rice, using much more energy.

I agree you can tune it for rice equal to a rice cooker; I just don’t see the art in boiling rice getting quantities, heat, time etc. exactly right when the rice cooker can match or improve by just pressing one button.

I must say that all the stewed dishes we eat are already stewed in a pressure canner, so just need reheating
Old 30-05-2020, 04:41   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I have an Instant pot, it does have a rice mode, the pan is stainless, not non-stick and it pressurizes for rice, using much more energy.

I agree you can tune it for rice equal to a rice cooker; I just don’t see the art in boiling rice getting quantities, heat, time etc. exactly right when the rice cooker can match or improve by just pressing one button.

I must say that all the stewed dishes we eat are already stewed in a pressure canner, so just need reheating
eh? once you have done the testing. for me.. its one button. pressure cook 6 mins. rice water ratio is the same every time.. I tend to use Basmati.. for Thai rice its a minute less.
Old 30-05-2020, 05:50   #57

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

The lack of non-stick was the other thing that drove me away from using the instant pot for rice. The thing was much harder to clean than a good rice cooker.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 08:10   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The lack of non-stick was the other thing that drove me away from using the instant pot for rice. The thing was much harder to clean than a good rice cooker.
Interesting. I actually like not having non-stick. Granted, non-stick has come a long way in the last 20 years or so, but find it's not needed in pots. Pans, yes, but not pots. For the most part, anything that gets browned in a pot tends to be the base of some sort of braise or stew so released when liquid is added. Plus the fond is better on standard compared to non stick. That said, the saute mode on the IP is anemic and not incredibly useful.

With exception of gasket on Instant Pot - which is universal to pressure cookers, I find it more or less similar to rice cooker. Both have more nooks and crannies so more difficult than a stove top pot.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 08:17   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Interesting. I actually like not having non-stick. Granted, non-stick has come a long way in the last 20 years or so, but find it's not needed in pots. Pans, yes, but not pots. For the most part, anything that gets browned in a pot tends to be the base of some sort of braise or stew so released when liquid is added. Plus the fond is better on standard compared to non stick. That said, the saute mode on the IP is anemic and not incredibly useful.

With exception of gasket on Instant Pot - which is universal to pressure cookers, I find it more or less similar to rice cooker. Both have more nooks and crannies so more difficult than a stove top pot.
Im not here to defend instant pot. As stated, I like it. Never had a problem with sticking... ever.

The saute function is used in a specific way... I tend to use on full and brown meats for the flavour addition...not as a cooking tool . it is good to reheat stews etc after cooking...

I love stainless steel...

As an aside, I can get rice cooked normally or.. can get the crisp on the rice bottom if desired. I never use any other function button, All my cooking is done on times.. Ihave them drilled in my head lol. Pressure cooking works on thickness of meat more that weight.

Il love it.......... i make BIR curries and they are amazing..
Old 30-05-2020, 08:23   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
eh? once you have done the testing. for me.. its one button. pressure cook 6 mins. rice water ratio is the same every time.. I tend to use Basmati.. for Thai rice its a minute less.
That is what I mean. The rice cookers they do it right with either type of rice because there is no designated time. During the process it will activate a time-to-finish timer once it has determined how long it will take. When done, it enters a keep warm mode like the Instant Pot does.

Tags
electric, galley