Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 08:28   #61
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: All electric galley: rice cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Interesting. I actually like not having non-stick. Granted, non-stick has come a long way in the last 20 years or so, but find it's not needed in pots. Pans, yes, but not pots. For the most part, anything that gets browned in a pot tends to be the base of some sort of braise or stew so released when liquid is added. Plus the fond is better on standard compared to non stick. That said, the saute mode on the IP is anemic and not incredibly useful.

With exception of gasket on Instant Pot - which is universal to pressure cookers, I find it more or less similar to rice cooker. Both have more nooks and crannies so more difficult than a stove top pot.
We also have little use of non-stick, but the rice cooker is right at the top of where you would want it. For pans I like the cast iron but we use a non-stick for frying eggs. Our pots are either stainless steel or glazed cast iron.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 08:30   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We also have little use of non-stick, but the rice cooker is right at the top of where you would want it. For pans I like the cast iron but we use a non-stick for frying eggs. Our pots are either stainless steel or glazed cast iron.
Instant Pot sells a non stick cooking pot.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 08:30   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
That is what I mean. The rice cookers they do it right with either type of rice because there is no designated time. During the process it will activate a time-to-finish timer once it has determined how long it will take. When done, it enters a keep warm mode like the Instant Pot does.
I think that once I determined a six minute cook for basmati, being a sealed container it is the same everytime... Rice cookers can fail and burn at times if you haven't put the correct water in.

I use the Ip because I have the times worked out and because it a versatile tool for many other things.. I also like that the pressure cooker keeps flavours. Today I cooked a large Cauli on steam.... ONE minute set.. Beautiful.

I have rice cookers and use at home no problem.. On the boat for space and other mentioned reasons.. I use the IP.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 09:13   #64
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Instant Pot sells a non stick cooking pot.
Ah that changes things a lot! I may buy that when I get our Thai rice out the way I like it. We use the IP at the house instead of aboard

On another note: this little rice cooker can steam as well. It can even steam veggies and cook rice simultaneously
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 10:05   #65
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I know there are many rices and cooking styles. Here's mine. Form a "bowl" out of foil and float it atop two inches water in a pressure cooker. Add 1 cup water and 1 cup rice to "bowl". Bring up to full pressure. Remove from stove. When pressure returns to normal you have a disposable boil and two cups of perfectly steamed rice. The water in the pressure cooker is still clean. Brown rice takes longer. Also, some rices will require more or less water in the "bowl." Janet Groene, BoatCook.blogspot.com
Old 30-05-2020, 16:07   #66

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, MK I

Didn't mean to imply anyone doesnt like cooking or that I'm the world's greatest cook.

I was mostly just saying I think either (or all) works and it's all about priorities and variables. For me, saving energy and storage space are the priorities. So the important bits of this thread (for me) are the breakdowns on how much energy each technique requires. Good to know propane is more efficient than induction - though theoretically one can generate electricity for induction and I know of no way to create propane. Sigh.

I would quibble a few fairly irrelevant things. I did a quick survey yesterday- I know a fair number of Asians, but these were all Chinese.

Ex-gf. Amer. Chinese - Hot Pot after using a pan for years.
Chinese National - uses rice cooker "occasionally" she got at Costco. Says on my boat she would use a pan (because of space).
Taiwanese National - Uses rice cooker.
I guess that means somewhere around 50% use rice cookers.

I have to disagree with the idea chefs all prefer induction. Most chefs and restaurants use gas. I say that based on personal experience and a quick internet search. Induction is no doubt fast and efficient and I dont doubt it works well, but flame allows more manipulation of the important bit - the cookware. I trained under chefs and worked with chefs before induction really came into it's own, but given the topic came up frequently regarding flame vs electric - I'm going to guess the most common paraphrased quote still applies - "Your pans, utensils, and skills decide the outcome. The stove is just heat."

My few remaining pans and knives are fairly high-end. So long as I can control the heat reasonably well, whether I'm cooking on electric, induction, flame, or a camp stove is borderline irrelevant. Yes, there are nuances to each of them and the even heat of induction would be both good and bad, but if something comes out poor, it's me that failed, not the stovetop. The thickness and material of the pan solves the even heat issue, though not with the speed of induction. If one wants to cook especially sauces exceptionally well, they reach for a copper pan. Will copper even work on induction?

As I said, it's all priorities. I've had some amazing food handed to me from a plug in crock pot. When Gordon Ramsay used to go in and fix restaurant kitchens, he got on them about knives and crappy implements, filth, age of ingredients, and more, but I never heard him say the issue was the gas grills and stoves. (Gordon Ramsay has both induction and gas. Naturally.)

I can think of many attractive qualities for both induction and rice cookers, but situations are just too complicated to say any one thing is the answer.

Great thread!
Elzaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 16:50   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
We eat a lot of rice , have about 20kg of Jasmin, basmati and sushi rice on board now.
Bought a rice cooker about 4.5 years ago.
Haven't used it in 4 years.
Easier using a pot.
My (Indonesian) wife would be panicking if we were down to our last 20kg.. 😁

How to cook perfect rice:

https://youtu.be/45wHe9KdmrQ
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 18:13   #68

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I usually measure, but I have used "that f'n line" with good results.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 21:47   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I would like to tryone, but I'm limited on power. What is the Amp draw?? Amazon listing doesn't spec. I assume about 20min for rice and that this is 110VAC, so I have to invert.
Thanks
my little 3 cupper uses 650 watts for 18 minutes . Which figures out to be15ah out of my Lfp bank or about an hours solar input.
Old 30-05-2020, 22:21   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
my little 3 cupper uses 650 watts for 18 minutes . Which figures out to be15ah out of my Lfp bank or about an hours solar input.
You shouldn't just multiply rated power by time because they don't draw full power continuously. Once they reach set point temperature they will use much less to maintain it.

Actual measured performance reported earlier in this thread by S/V Jedi
(he didn't say what size, but I doubt that it is smaller than a "little 3 cupper" :

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3149971

100Wh which is 8-9Ah @ 12V nominal.

And to answer zstines actually question, The Amp draw is 54 Amps @ 12V nominal (650/12) for Newhaul's cooker at maximum. Figure on 60 Amps from batteries through an inverter.

Alternatively, my 5 cup, 1 litre Integrity rice cooker is only 400W so that would be more like 35-40 Amps maximum through an inverter. It will still use about the same total Watt hours /Amp hours to cook the same quantity of rice.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 23:14   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
ignore this post by me it is the wrong piece of kit .
This was my old breakfast sandwich maker
Old 30-05-2020, 23:15   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You shouldn't just multiply rated power by time because they don't draw full power continuously. Once they reach set point temperature they will use much less to maintain it.

Actual measured performance reported earlier in this thread by S/V Jedi
(he didn't say what size, but I doubt that it is smaller than a "little 3 cupper" :

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3149971

100Wh which is 8-9Ah @ 12V nominal.

And to answer zstines actually question, The Amp draw is 54 Amps @ 12V nominal (650/12) for Newhaul's cooker at maximum. Figure on 60 Amps from batteries through an inverter.

Alternatively, my 5 cup, 1 litre Integrity rice cooker is only 400W so that would be more like 35-40 Amps maximum through an inverter. It will still use about the same total Watt hours /Amp hours to cook the same quantity of rice.
my rice cooker is a 350 watt unit . Takes approx 5ah for the 20 minute cycle ( that's from my battery monitor .
Old 31-05-2020, 00:11   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
my rice cooker is a 350 watt unit . Takes approx 5ah for the 20 minute cycle ( that's from my battery monitor .

That sounds more like it for a "little 3 cupper"
(And a max draw of around 30 Amps @ 12V)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 01:04   #74

15-20 mins is way too fast to get properly/evenly cooked rice. Most cheat by manually fluffing mid way or at the end ending up with broken grains.

Better rice cookers take at least 45-60mins. Getting it right takes time.
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 01:38   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
15-20 mins is way too fast to get properly/evenly cooked rice. Most cheat by manually fluffing mid way or at the end ending up with broken grains.

Better rice cookers take at least 45-60mins. Getting it right takes time.
you ought to try a real rice cooker 18 to 20 degrees minutes for properly cooked rice

Tags
electric, galley