Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2020, 01:42   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: All electric galley: rice cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That sounds more like it for a "little 3 cupper"
(And a max draw of around 30 Amps @ 12V)
runs great on my 500 watt psw inverter and almost at optimum draw .
Old 31-05-2020, 01:47   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
15-20 mins is way too fast to get properly/evenly cooked rice. Most cheat by manually fluffing mid way or at the end ending up with broken grains.

Better rice cookers take at least 45-60mins. Getting it right takes time.

Strange, the electric rice cooker in every asian home with electricity does it in 20 minutes of less. We'd better tell the billions of people who eat rice cooked that way every day that they aren't getting properly cooked rice.

Or do you think that congee is the only "properly" cooked rice
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 02:07   #78

Quote:
Strange, the electric rice cooker in every asian home with electricity does it in 20 minutes of less. We'd better tell the billions of people who eat rice cooked that way every day that they aren't getting properly cooked rice.

Or do you think that congee is the only "properly" cooked rice

Difference between rice and congee is amount of water, not time. Anyway I use a pot if I want congee, it's faster than the rice cooker as there's no need to faff with it.

Manuals from Tiger, Toshiba, Zojirushi and Dsanduril's model respectively. I'm currently using the Toshiba and 2.5 cups takes about 45mins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiger.png
Views:	67
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	216261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toshiba.png
Views:	65
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	216262  

Name:	Zojirushi.png
Views:	60
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	216263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsanduril Neurofuzzy.png
Views:	92
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	216264  

fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 02:53   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
Difference between rice and congee is amount of water, not time. Anyway I use a pot if I want congee, it's faster than the rice cooker as there's no need to faff with it.

Manuals from Tiger, Toshiba, Zojirushi and Dsanduril's model respectively. I'm currently using the Toshiba and 2.5 cups takes about 45mins.
You don't say what models. Are those images from rice cooker or some sort of slow cooker or multi-function device?

I found those numbers hard to believe so went looking for a manual for the first brand you named, Tiger. Sure enough Steam the rice for 15-20 minutes.

Added: Google tells me that these long cooking time rice cookers actually soak the rice for quite a while before cooking it.
e.g The Zojirushi "These settings take longer because it soaks the rice grains for a short period of time before cooking it. This makes the rice softer and fluffier. White rice, mixed rice dishes, sushi rice and porridge might take between 45 minutes to an hour to cook. Brown rice can take as long as two hours to soak and cook. The brown rice setting soaks the brown rice grains for a longer period and also cooks it at a lower temperature for longer than the other rice settings."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RiceCooker1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	216268   Click image for larger version

Name:	RiceCooker2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	216269  

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 03:27   #80

Quote:
You don't say what models...

Added: Google tells me that these long cooking time rice cookers actually soak the rice for quite a while before cooking it.
e.g The Zojirushi "These settings take longer because it soaks the rice grains for a short period of time before cooking it. This makes the rice softer and fluffier. White rice, mixed rice dishes, sushi rice and porridge might take between 45 minutes to an hour to cook. Brown rice can take as long as two hours to soak and cook. The brown rice setting soaks the brown rice grains for a longer period and also cooks it at a lower temperature for longer than the other rice settings."
Take your pick
https://tiger-sg.com/eng/product/1-rice-cookers
https://www.zojirushi.com/app/category/rice-cookers

It's not just the presoak, it's optimal temp control (some fuzzy logic business) in the background that extends the cooking times.

There's a Quick (WOT) setting (20mins is cutting it) that cranks out terrible rice in a pinch.
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 06:37   #81
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzaar View Post
I was mostly just saying I think either (or all) works and it's all about priorities and variables. For me, saving energy and storage space are the priorities. So the important bits of this thread (for me) are the breakdowns on how much energy each technique requires. Good to know propane is more efficient than induction - though theoretically one can generate electricity for induction and I know of no way to create propane. Sigh.
Hahahaha, no you did not learn in this thread that propane is more efficient than induction. Hahahaha

It is clear you take an anti induction activist position and I have learned not to argue with activists but just in case others reading this wonder: induction cooking is about -two times- as efficient as propane cooking. Not only that because besides the heat added to the interior from propane cooking, it also adds a ton of moisture.

I have demonstrated that a modern, cheap, electric rice cooker is 30% more efficient than the next most efficient method which is a quality pot of the right size on an induction cooker. Other methods are so far worse that they don’t even deserve mention.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 06:46   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Hahahaha, no you did not learn in this thread that propane is more efficient than induction. Hahahaha

It is clear you take an anti induction activist position and I have learned not to argue with activists but just in case others reading this wonder: induction cooking is about -two times- as efficient as propane cooking. Not only that because besides the heat added to the interior from propane cooking, it also adds a ton of moisture.

I have demonstrated that a modern, cheap, electric rice cooker is 30% more efficient than the next most efficient method which is a quality pot of the right size on an induction cooker. Other methods are so far worse that they don’t even deserve mention.
couple things . Propane is great for cooking . Instant heat control . And only about 1 oz of moisture per 1k btu per hour..
I cook on propane ( don't have Induction I'm to small ) but do have and use my rice cooker all the time . It is a set and forget system I hear the click when it goes from cooking to its warmer phase and I unplug it No need to constantly watch the stove and have never burned the rice this way .
Old 31-05-2020, 07:01   #83
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
couple things . Propane is great for cooking . Instant heat control . And only about 1 oz of moisture per 1k btu per hour..
I cook on propane ( don't have Induction I'm to small ) but do have and use my rice cooker all the time . It is a set and forget system I hear the click when it goes from cooking to its warmer phase and I unplug it No need to constantly watch the stove and have never burned the rice this way .
For every cubic foot of propane burned, 4 cubic feet of water vapor is produced. That is a lot. It is 1.44 ounces of water per kBTU per hour. Let’s say you use a small burner for one hour. That is 3.4kBTU x 1.44 = 5 ounces of water added to the cabin atmosphere!

With gas cooking, heat control is instant. But so it is for induction. Actually, induction is quicker, more instant, than gas because it transfers at almost perfect efficiency to put temperature while gas struggles to get half the heat into the pot.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 08:07   #84

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
induction cooking is about -two times- as efficient as propane cooking.
That's pretty specific. You're going to have to run the numbers for me there, with footnotes.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 08:50   #85

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
That's pretty specific. You're going to have to run the numbers for me there, with footnotes.
It's already been posted, with footnotes, over in the other thread on this subject in which you participate.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3145814

It's a little simplistic in terms of testing, but at least it's a starting point.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 09:04   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok with all this the question has been answered yes a rice cooker is more energy efficient than a pot on the induction cook top . Both in terms of actual ah used and human interaction energy used . Induction requires human input throughout the cooking process a rice cooker is for the most part set it and forget it till you hear the click and its done.
Old 31-05-2020, 09:17   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Reading this thread makes me realise why everyone needs a 50ft yacht. you need somewhere for:

a. The rice maker.
b. The bread maker
c. The ice maker
d. The instant pot
e. The induction stove plus a spare.
f. The electric coffee maker plus grinder.
g. The generator to power this lot.
h. More batteries than a Los Angeles class sub
h. The air con to cool the boat down with this lot running.

Whilst I don't subscribe to Sean's (Boat Alexandra) minimalist approach, sometimes a gas stove with two rings and oven does seem remarkably simple low tech and low maintenance

Were does the rice maker live when you are rolling downwind in a F5?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 10:19   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Reading this thread makes me realise why everyone needs a 50ft yacht. you need somewhere for:

a. The rice maker.
b. The bread maker
c. The ice maker
d. The instant pot
e. The induction stove plus a spare.
f. The electric coffee maker plus grinder.
g. The generator to power this lot.
h. More batteries than a Los Angeles class sub
h. The air con to cool the boat down with this lot running.

Whilst I don't subscribe to Sean's (Boat Alexandra) minimalist approach, sometimes a gas stove with two rings and oven does seem remarkably simple low tech and low maintenance

if I were using it it would be in the fiddles on the LPG gimbal stove top
Old 31-05-2020, 12:54   #89

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
It's already been posted, with footnotes, over in the other thread on this subject in which you participate.

/snip/

It's a little simplistic in terms of testing, but at least it's a starting point.
I only remember a lot of arm-waving and assertion of numbers without substantiation. Do you have a post number in that thread of anything I missed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
if I were using it it would be in the fiddles on the LPG gimbal stove top
One of the benefits of a rice cooker is moving a dish off the cooker. For a two burner cooker including oven using a rice cooker you can serve chicken tikka masala with rice, peas & carrots, and roast cauliflower (the latter sharing the oven with bread for tomorrow). Leftover rice and peas & carrots go into pork fried rice (two day old roast pork loin sliced or shredded) and leftover cauliflower into soup for tomorrow.

Freeing up a burner is the best rationale I can think of for a rice cooker aboard.

I'm a DC guy. I find DC systems to be more robust than AC systems. ARC data collection of failures in their rallies support that. I don't eschew AC as long as they aren't mission critical. If you're big enough to have multiple generators that run continuously from dock-to-dock I'll reconsider. Most naval architects, including me, tend to be very conservative. The sea is a harsh mistress.

I do carry some convenience items that run off my inverter or generator. I'm not shy about running the generator for air conditioning. I make room for a stick blender and a slow cooker. I'd consider a rice cooker if I could be sure I wouldn't need to make rice without one (see above about practice). I can easily work around loss of AC without impact on meal planning (keeping crew fed is mission critical). My broccoli soup may not be quite as smooth and the chili may lack some nuance but they'll still be on the table.

The rice cooker also appeals because you can do two things at once. You can steam broccoli over the rice. You can steam momos (!) over the rice. You can reheat burritos over the rice. I can easily manage on a propane cooker if we lose AC but the convenience is appealing as long as I can afford the power. So if there is a rice cooker on a boat that has the electrical infrastructure to support it I won't let ideology keep me from using it. I'm sure not going to pack one in.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 14:14   #90

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, MK I

Quote:

Ahh ... Okay. That makes way more sense. I misunderstood.

Im totally not anti-inductionn. I love the concept from an efficiency and safety standpoint. When I own a house again it will get an induction stove. I looked hard at switching last year and if some part of my electricity supply becomes efficient enough I would switch in a minute. What I read back then led me to believe that though propane was LESS efficient, I couldnt reasonably pull off the power supply for weeks at a time. Whereas I can just keep using the 30# propane bottle that came on my boat and lasts me about four months.

How many amps/day do you use on average powering the induction stove?

My comments were just to balance the perspectives out. I am for whatever works for each boat and crew. One of the things I enjoy about this lifestyle is we all get to just be individuals. No judgements made.
Elzaar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, galley