Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 15:19   #106

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: All electric galley: rice cooker

The 9 HP outboard engine DOES weigh more than I do! *grin* It’s 50% more than my manual/electric Honda 9.9 which is already too heavy. Nice bit of kit though. I hope they succeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The risk of explosion does not exist for induction, but the risk of fire exists for both and is a multiple higher for propane as well. There is open flame and very high temperatures that can set fire to oil, grease etc. Induction cooking does not get hotter than the contents of the pot/pan.
Once again, the numbers do not support you. Insurance statistics which do not yet reflect significant use of induction are clear that electricity is the largest source of fire on board. It is not unreasonable to predict that adding another high-load, high-duration, high-cycle power consumer will only contribute to the proportion of electrical fires. Propane is quite low by comparison. Perhaps you might consider confirmation bias.

I’m a physically active cook. Lots of pan shaking and flipping. I’ve never had a grease or oil fire. I tend not to lay tea towels on lit burners either. *grin* However, my experience is not statistically significant. Again, the insurance industry statistics don’t suggest that the effects you enumerate (which are in the totals of reportable events) are a factor.

Quote:
…the genset runs during dinner making except when the propane grill in the cockpit is used. This is when the A/C runs to remove heat and moisture of the day from the cabin, the water maker runs to replenish water and the battery charger to top off for the night.
Which is eminently reasonable. Even without solar, battery charging is rarely a factor that drives generator runs. Mostly it’s comfort driven by A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
To me a big advantage of electrical induction hobs, kettles, multipots, rice cookers etc over propane is greatly reduced waste heat in the galley.
This is also overblown in my opinion. Ventilation is a bigger deal than induction v. propane in my experience. The galley and often boat are even hot or not driven by ventilation.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 17:06   #107

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
This is also overblown in my opinion. Ventilation is a bigger deal than induction v. propane in my experience. The galley and often boat are even hot or not driven by ventilation.
Not on a hot, still evening in the tropics
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:47   #108
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

So I tried to cook Thai jasmin rice in our Instant Pot. I added 2 of the included cups of rice, rinsed well, and added water to the corresponding 2-cup line, closed the pot and the pressure vent, then pressed the Rice program button. That program first built pressure, then held it at that pressure and temperature for 12 minutes, then I allowed for a natural pressure release which, by the time I got back was at 18 minutes, so 30 minutes total. The result was, like before, mediocre. We did eat it but it was too hard.

So this is a call for the IP fans to explain me what I do wrong, because I want this to work. I plan to check how much water that actually is and add a little more.

At first the rice was not stuck to the bottom of the stainless pot but when I went for seconds it was, even though I had switched off the keep warm function.

I did not have my energy meter at hand but bring that back today so we know energy consumption next trial.

What did I do wrong? FYI: this same rice comes out perfect with the little rice cooker listed in the first post and using just a pot on an induction top as well.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:50   #109

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

NOTHING beats the InstaPot!
Its way more than just a rice cooker. Very reasonable energy draw.
Many YouTube videos by boaters, RV'ers and Off Grid'ers on the advantages of the Instapot.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:51   #110

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing August View Post
How can you claim that unless you have tried everything?

Quote:
Many YouTube videos by boaters, RV'ers and Off Grid'ers on the advantages of the Instapot.

Many is not all and just as many will say product x is better.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:26   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Of course, if you are in a cold climate, that may be a big disadvantage.
There has been times when I was tempted to light the oven and leave it running overnight That should have a few reaching for their keyboards.

In the end I fitted a diesel blown air heater.

So these Instapots, Nick didn't seem to like the results making rice, have others had consistent sucess?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:55   #112

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
So I tried to cook Thai jasmin rice in our Instant Pot. I added 2 of the included cups of rice, rinsed well, and added water to the corresponding 2-cup line, closed the pot and the pressure vent, then pressed the Rice program button. That program first built pressure, then held it at that pressure and temperature for 12 minutes, then I allowed for a natural pressure release which, by the time I got back was at 18 minutes, so 30 minutes total. The result was, like before, mediocre. We did eat it but it was too hard.

So this is a call for the IP fans to explain me what I do wrong, because I want this to work. I plan to check how much water that actually is and add a little more.

At first the rice was not stuck to the bottom of the stainless pot but when I went for seconds it was, even though I had switched off the keep warm function.

I did not have my energy meter at hand but bring that back today so we know energy consumption next trial.

What did I do wrong? FYI: this same rice comes out perfect with the little rice cooker listed in the first post and using just a pot on an induction top as well.
I haven't really tried rice more than about once, just after we got the thing... and as I recall we just followed the recipe and called it good.

That said, and because of this thread, I was actually reading about rice in the IP recipe book the other day. The jasmine rice recipe in their book, said to serve 4-6, is 3 cups rice, 3 cups water, rice setting, 4 minutes pressure... then use the "10-minute Natural Pressure Release."

??

OK, that is: Let the cooker go into "Keep Warm" mode and count 10 minutes. Then press [Cancel] and twist the steam release handle on the lid to "Venting" position.

I haven't actually gotten around to trying that yet, but when we couldn't get basmati rice we got a big bag of jasmine -- not entirely intentionally -- so thought we'd better investigate what to do with it.

FWIW, their recipe for basmati is 2 cups rice, 3 cups water, everything else the same.

-Chris
Old 03-06-2020, 13:08   #113

Quote:
Not on a hot, still evening in the tropics
Actually I find heat in the galley a bigger deal in the American Midatlantic than in the tropics or subtropics. Temperatures are nearly as high and the humidity is insufferable. Not a lot of air movement in August on the Chesapeake. *grin* I think mise en place helps a lot (separating prep from cooking – I have some foibles that tune classical mise to boat realities and don’t involve tons (or tonnes) of little bowls). I have cooked over propane and induction (and even resistive electric) on deliveries. I’ll stick with ventilation as making a bigger difference than gas v. induction. The lovely solution is running the generator and A/C during dinner prep. Opening up the boat helps a lot even without a breeze. Underway the only thing I’m comfortable opening is the companionway slide. I don’t want water and salt in a boat I’m responsible for. Except for galley down catamarans and some power boats that is sufficient. Fans are a must and it amazes me how few fans some boats have. When I built Auspicious I put fans everywhere.

Quote:
I’m sure I’ve said this before. It’s a mantra. Instant Pot is a cult. The advocates generally don’t have a standard for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
There has been times when I was tempted to light the oven and leave it running overnight That should have a few reaching for their keyboards.
When it is 19F outside we bake a lot. *grin* Forced air diesel heaters are wonderful.
Old 03-06-2020, 14:40   #114

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Its way more than just a rice cooker. Very reasonable energy draw.
That does not answer anything. How do you cook rice with it? How many Wh does it use to cook rice? Did you comoare with real rice cookers?

For now, it is the worst rice of the options I tried but I’m not giving up yet.
Old 03-06-2020, 14:47   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I haven't really tried rice more than about once, just after we got the thing... and as I recall we just followed the recipe and called it good.

That said, and because of this thread, I was actually reading about rice in the IP recipe book the other day. The jasmine rice recipe in their book, said to serve 4-6, is 3 cups rice, 3 cups water, rice setting, 4 minutes pressure... then use the "10-minute Natural Pressure Release."

??

OK, that is: Let the cooker go into "Keep Warm" mode and count 10 minutes. Then press [Cancel] and twist the steam release handle on the lid to "Venting" position.

I haven't actually gotten around to trying that yet, but when we couldn't get basmati rice we got a big bag of jasmine -- not entirely intentionally -- so thought we'd better investigate what to do with it.

FWIW, their recipe for basmati is 2 cups rice, 3 cups water, everything else the same.

-Chris
I recall there were people in the thread claiming rice from InstaPot was better than anything. I guess they quietly went away or didn’t expect me to actually have an IP and try it out.

IP says for jasmin rice 1:1 rice:water then 3-4 minutes high pressure followed by 10 minutes natural release. I did their rice program which I expected to be the same as what a rice cooker does but apparently the smart IP isn’t as smart as a dumb rice cooker where you just press the “white rice” button

I’ll be trying again soon, brought my energy meter back from the boat today so we’ll find out about that efficiency as well. I think it will be worse.

Congratulations on the jasmin rice. Thai jasmin rice is really good. We buy it in big 25 lb bags from Costco (Kirkland signature brand) they have new harvest every year.
Old 03-06-2020, 19:16   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

In the end I fitted a diesel blown air heater.

So these Instapots, Nick didn't seem to like the results making rice, have others had consistent sucess?

Pete
What exactly is an "Instapot"? Is it a US generic name for a multi-cooker? or is it a specific brand?

("Instant Pot" is a brand name for a Canadian multi-cooker which appears to be common in the US)

I've never tried making rice in our NewWave multi-cooker, I'm perfectly satisfied with the results of our cheap, simple rice cooker which apparently is much quicker than all the fancy, expensive rice cookers and multi-cookers.
Old 03-06-2020, 19:24   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I think mise en place helps a lot (separating prep from cooking – I have some foibles that tune classical mise to boat realities and don’t involve tons (or tonnes) of little bowls).
I can't understand people NOT using mise en place. I can think of nothing worse that having to faff about preparing things while actually cooking.

I frequently have half a dozen or more small plastic containers stacked with prepared ingredients when I start cooking.
Old 03-06-2020, 21:39   #118

Boat: Leopard 42

Quote:
What exactly is an "Instapot"? Is it a US generic name for a multi-cooker? or is it a specific brand?

("Instant Pot" is a brand name for a Canadian multi-cooker which appears to be common in the US)

I've never tried making rice in our NewWave multi-cooker, I'm perfectly satisfied with the results of our cheap, simple rice cooker which apparently is much quicker than all the fancy, expensive rice cookers and multi-cookers.
We cook rice in our multicooker, a cheap Tefal 8 in 1 cooker. Done in 20 minutes, perfectly cooked rice each time. It has a non stick pan and nevers sticks or burns. It also has a higher heat dessert settings that bakes bread or cakes. Also a slow cooker setting for curry, soups and lamb roasts. Best $100 we spent on the boat, and we use it at least once most days.

Because we have a sturdy outdoor table just outside the galley it is also easy to use outside which avoids heat in the galley.

We have now supplemented this with a cheap induction cooktop which we can also use outside. We kept the gas for overcast weather as we don't have a diesel Genset, only an ancient Honda last run a year ago.
swampbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 00:12   #119

Quote:

You found it. There is no such thing as an "Instapot." "Instant Pot" is what people need. Even the cultists don't get it right.

Quote:
I can't understand people NOT using mise en place. I can think of nothing worse that having to faff about preparing things while actually cooking.

I frequently have half a dozen or more small plastic containers stacked with prepared ingredients when I start cooking.
I have a really big cutting board. I start prepping with the last thing needed first. That goes at the back of the board to the left (I'm right handed). The next last thing goes next to that. Work left to right and back to front. Really big stuff, liquids, and spices might go in bowls but mostly I end up with piles on my board. If all the spices go in together they may share a bowl or I eyeball it in the palm of my hand; for the latter I still have everything out and ready to go so I don't forget anything. Using a bench scraper I shift each ingredient as needed to a plate or bowl to go in the pot or pan. Things that go in together can be transferred together. I end up with a lot less cleanup. I use the same technique ashore to good effect.

It comes out something like this https://assets.reluctantgourmet.com/...en_place_1.jpg although I have a bit more space between. For the picture where is the celery for mirepoix, or bell pepper for the Trinity?
Old 04-06-2020, 02:47   #120

Quote:
I recall there were people in the thread claiming rice from InstaPot was better than anything. I guess they quietly went away or didn’t expect me to actually have an IP and try it out.

IP says for jasmin rice 1:1 rice:water then 3-4 minutes high pressure followed by 10 minutes natural release. I did their rice program which I expected to be the same as what a rice cooker does but apparently the smart IP isn’t as smart as a dumb rice cooker where you just press the “white rice” button

I’ll be trying again soon, brought my energy meter back from the boat today so we’ll find out about that efficiency as well. I think it will be worse.

Congratulations on the jasmin rice. Thai jasmin rice is really good. We buy it in big 25 lb bags from Costco (Kirkland signature brand) they have new harvest every year.
We use the instant pot for rice, both Uncle Ben's style converted rice and regular long grain rice. We use the "rice" setting and follow the instructions exactly. Resulting rice is consistently good.

If you are using a different rice or prefer a different method of cooking such as a rice cooker, great. All I can say is we are happy with the results and happy with having but one cooking gadget.

I suspect people stopped replying because there's only so much you can say on a topic like this, and after going around the horn a few times, folks move on. Productive conversation has been exhausted.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, galley