Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2020, 07:14   #121
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: All electric galley: rice cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
We use the instant pot for rice, both Uncle Ben's style converted rice and regular long grain rice. We use the "rice" setting and follow the instructions exactly. Resulting rice is consistently good.

If you are using a different rice or prefer a different method of cooking such as a rice cooker, great. All I can say is we are happy with the results and happy with having but one cooking gadget.

I suspect people stopped replying because there's only so much you can say on a topic like this, and after going around the horn a few times, folks move on. Productive conversation has been exhausted.
See, now that we get to the details, logic prevails. You are using parboiled rice. I am using Thai jasmin rice. When this started I specifically mentioned that I can believe parboiled rice will work because it’s already cooked halfway, but that also means it is not good for long term boat provisioning because it spoils much faster... unless coated in chemicals etc.

I can understand that this does not interest you because you are clearly not into the kind of provisioning and cruising that we are and you may be right that all the IP comments were from people using parboiled rice. But Weavis was not (I had to read all again to make sense of this) so I’ll work with only those comments and just ignore the rest. Some just commented that IP is the best and they probably never used it themselves and never eat rice
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:34   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
What exactly is an "Instapot"? Is it a US generic name for a multi-cooker? or is it a specific brand?
Don't know, that is why I am asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I can't understand people NOT using mise en place.
What exactly is "mise en place"?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:00   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
See, now that we get to the details, logic prevails. You are using parboiled rice. I am using Thai jasmin rice.
I also said we use regular long-grain rice, the cheap stuff that comes in 2 kg bags at every bodega in Mexico. How that compares to Jasmine rice I don't recall, though probably fairly close. It's been years since I've cooked with Jasmine rice as I was not able to get it the same consistency as Thai restaurants.

BTW - for those still following this thread that's drifted a bit, a great cruising provisioning tip for those who enjoy spicy Thai food are small cans of curry paste. Maesri seems to be the go-to brand. Mix with a can of coconut milk - the thick stuff, but NOT the sweet stuff used in Pina Coladas - with some vegetables (large cut carrots, Japanese Eggplant, etc.) and perhaps a protein of your choice and you have a great meal over rice. Fast, tasty, great leftovers, and the core ingredients stow easily long term. Warning - it can be a bit spicy/hot.

We find it in Asian/Chinese markets in about 10 different flavors (green is our favorite, but all are good). About $1.50 USD/can.

https://importfood.com/products/thai...ed-curry-paste
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:01   #124
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
Mise en place is a French culinary phrase which means "putting in place" or "everything in its place"
Old 04-06-2020, 08:21   #125

Quote:

Despite having very strong cooking skills wrought over almost 40-years of foodie-level meal prep, I had to Google it too. Think of the FoodTV cooking shows where all the ingredients are miraculously placed in nice clear bowls, perfectly measured, then whisked away to be cleaned by an invisible army in white.

While I didn't recognize the term, I am very familiar with the concepts as I've watched those cooking shows since I was a kid and Graham Kerr and Julia Child dominated the PBS afternoon programming. For those who follow recipes, it allows the cook to focus on timing - some things like a pan sauce need to come together quickly. However, its a serial method of cooking - you cut all the vegetables first, then start sauteing them vs cutting the one that takes longest and starting the saute, then cutting the next longest while the first one is getting a head start. It's a good way to tackle more complex/unfamiliar recipes with multiple ingredients. Examples would be Oaxacan Mole which can have over 100 ingredients, though most have only 20 or so.

My wife is a pretty good cook and she's definitely a measure-twice/follow-the-recipe person, so loves the little bowls of precisely measured ingredients. I must observe that when it's getting late and we're hungry, she's the last person either of us wants in the galley.

Peter
Old 04-06-2020, 10:34   #126

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

"Mise en Place"

In simple practical lay terms it refers to all the required preparation before you start cooking.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:25   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Thanks for the replies and whilst not knowing its meaning I do apply it whilst bashing through wind over tide waves.

Tin of Marks and Spencer curry, couple of boil in the bag rice and then put the waterproof trousers on because you don't want it coming off the gas stove over you. Heat and serve by putting the bowl in the sink so it doesn't slide around. Lime pickle and chutney on the top

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 13:52   #128

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
where all the ingredients are miraculously placed in nice clear bowls, perfectly measured, then whisked away to be cleaned by an invisible army in white.
Quote:
Thanks for the replies and whilst not knowing its meaning I do apply it whilst bashing through wind over tide waves.
"Mise en place" has practical application on boats far beyond complex recipes or when there are a lot of ingredients. It means one dive into the fridge, freezer, and pantry for everything needed or wanted. I put all that in a basket on non-skid when I can. Then you wedge yourself into the galley, knife in hand, for prep. Wash the knife and put it away and you don't have to think about flying sharps. When things are bumpy you can put the cutting board over the gimbaled cooker. Finally assembly and cooking. It's every bit as applicable to your family mac and cheese recipe from memory or making something up on the fly from what you have left as to a complex 'follow all the steps' recipe.

See my approach in #119 that doesn't require an army of off-screen kitchen elves for clean-up.

Pete has it exactly right.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 15:12   #129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Update on IP rice program

Energy consumption of rice program with 2 of the rice cooker cups of jasmin rice and 3 cups of water so a 1:1.5 ratio instead of 1:1.

The IP maximum power draw was 1,012W so much more than the rice cooker but total energy consumption was 130Wh which is the same as a regular pot on induction cooktop and 30% more energy compared to the rice cooker. I must say this is better than what I expected.

The rice was good... a little too wet. Next time I will use a 1:1.25 ratio.

For the boat the rice cooker is still a winner for us but when you don’t have space for it (hard to imagine as it’s so small) and don’t care about energy use then the IP will work
Old 04-06-2020, 15:30   #130

Quote:
For the boat the rice cooker is still a winner for us but when you don’t have space for it (hard to imagine as it’s so small) and don’t care about energy use then the IP will work
My opinion of the Instant Pot is pretty clear by now. *grin* Definitely a rice cooker over the IP for rice, and a much more versatile stovetop pressure cooker over the IP for anything.

I did some hunting around and among the myriad discussion found this https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-rice-22949278 which may educate s/v Jedi future experiments. For context, I rather like The Kitchn - they are definitely advertising heavy (a pain at the edge of the Internet) but their hearts are with the readers. This is unlike advertising mills like Serious Eats for whom the readers are simply products to be sold to advertisers. My adblocker reported 97 ads on one page, and they insist you are guilty of child abuse (my words) if you don't send your kid to college with $2,000 and 3 kW of cooking appliances. Funny how all that stuff is made by advertisers.

Chicken and rice with leeks, glazed carrots, and a salad for dinner. My wife is cooking so using her old fuzzy logic rice cooker which I'll have to clean. *grin*
Old 04-06-2020, 15:45   #131

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All these articles repeat the same BS. The rice program does not weigh the amount of rice and water and adjust accordingly. It just measures pressure and temperature and more water means it takes longer to build pressure and that is the variation in program run time... which is exactly what the manual pressure button does and normal rice cookers test temperature.

So we just had a great Babi Kecap Indonesian dinner. The rice was a bit wet but tasted good... at about same quality as pot on induction cooktop level. We will get that better by reducing the amount of water a bit next time.

The pork was home pressure canned in a pint Mason jar in beef stock (shelf stable for many years) and we had home made Atjar Tjampoer (pickled veggies) home canned in a water bath canner, Birdseye green beans steamed in their bag in the microwave. We used ABC Kecap Manis and sambal from a jar. Better than most restaurants serve this dish
Old 04-06-2020, 18:40   #132

Quote:

Energy consumption of rice program with 2 of the rice cooker cups of jasmin rice and 3 cups of water so a 1:1.5 ratio instead of 1:1.

The IP maximum power draw was 1,012W so much more than the rice cooker but total energy consumption was 130Wh which is the same as a regular pot on induction cooktop and 30% more energy compared to the rice cooker. I must say this is better than what I expected.

Would be interested in your thoughts at 1:1 water to rice ratio per instructions.

Good luck and thanks for the update

Peter
Old 04-06-2020, 19:02   #133

Quote:
The pork was home pressure canned in a pint Mason jar in beef stock (shelf stable for many years) and we had home made Atjar Tjampoer (pickled veggies) home canned in a water bath canner, Birdseye green beans steamed in their bag in the microwave. We used ABC Kecap Manis and sambal from a jar. Better than most restaurants serve this dish
Home canning is greatly under rated by the cruising community. Scaling up from a pint to two gallons of pasta sauce is just not a big deal. I usually produce ten pints (for us) and three quarts (for delivery). Cost is about the same as off-the-shelf commercial at US mainland prices but taste is better and we like the control over ingredients like salt and chemicals. Lots of soup, chili, some meat dishes, lots of pickles. My wife cans jams and jellies.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:29   #134

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

You'll remember I posted earlier our IP recipe book suggests 3:3 (1:1) for Jasmine rice. And 2:3 for Basmati.

4 minutes pressure, rice setting, 10 minute natural release.

-Chris
Old 05-06-2020, 06:09   #135

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Would be interested in your thoughts at 1:1 water to rice ratio per instructions.

Good luck and thanks for the update

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
You'll remember I posted earlier our IP recipe book suggests 3:3 (1:1) for Jasmine rice. And 2:3 for Basmati.

4 minutes pressure, rice setting, 10 minute natural release.

-Chris
My previous test was 1:1 ratio and it was a fail (reported in earlier comments). In the rice setting, you cannot change the number of minutes of pressure, that is manual mode.

When I get good results with 1:1.25 in the rice program, I will repeat that ratio in manual mode 4 minutes high pressure followed by 10 minutes natural release. I will also measure energy again. My current thought are that it does not matter much if you use rice or manual buttons for jasmin rice.

Tags
electric, galley