Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 17:07   #16

Re: Anyone bought sails from Minneys Yacht Surplus?

I can't pass up a chance to say good things about Ernie Minnie and his excellent used chandlery shop. When I lived in Southern California, I was in Minniey's at least once a month for twenty years. I always found what I needed and at a great price. Once I went cruising and only got to visit home every couple of years, Minnie's was the first place I visited when I arrived, and the last place I stopped before I flew back to the boat. I have never met anyone who was disappointed by Minnie's. Take your shopping list and your lunch. You will not want to leave.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 17:35   #17

Boat: Contessa 26

I bought a used mainsail from Minney’s when I was passing through about two years ago and the price was more than fair for the condition. They do have a lot of used stuff and depending on who your salesperson is, you can negotiate prices.
Vince124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 18:20   #18

I’ve had 1 used sail from Minneys and 3 from Bacon. They’ve all lasted pretty good. I always buy a 6+ or over. In fact, I’ve just bought my first NEW sail EVER from SEA Sails (Tasker) after 16 years on my used main from Bacon which cost me $650 in 2005, including shipping to Brisbane for my tall mast 48ft cat. Ur lucky that u can go to inspect the sail cloth & stitching. I always had to buy mine sight unseen since I’ve been in the South Pacific for years. Don’t worry about the reply to always have a new sail for ocean crossings; this is just paranoid BS! (U get this a lot on this forum).
Good luck & smooth sailing! Evan on JAVA
CATJAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 19:16   #19

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

I LOVE Minnie's!
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 09:26   #20

I bought a used main sail from Minneys about 5 years ago and I'm still happy with it. Saved a ton on money not buying a new one.
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails, yacht