Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2022, 13:30   #1

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House
anyone ? Pettit bottom paint Triton 2 Yr. Guarantee

Anyone have experience with Pettit bottom paint, Triton, 2 Yr. Guarantee?

On the West coast Of Florida, especially Sarasota, growth is off the charts. If you left your foot in the water for few hours, you would have barnacles on your big toe.

Thank you. Pop's Fl. Tayana 37 ft.
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 14:44   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: anyone ? Pettit bottom paint Triton 2 Yr. Guarantee

Quote:
Originally Posted by navysurfer View Post
Anyone have experience with Pettit bottom paint, Triton, 2 Yr. Guarantee?

On the West coast Of Florida, especially Sarasota, growth is off the charts. If you left your foot in the water for few hours, you would have barnacles on your big toe.

Thank you. Pop's Fl. Tayana 37 ft.

I currently have some on my boat (Chesapeake Bay). So far, so good (1-year check-up), it seems to be one of the best. I have 6 different paints on the boat and 30 samples of multi-season paint hanging in the water for Practical Sailor. They will stay there for 2 years plus.

I'm a little miffed that two of the paints on my boat are losers (both are Cu-free formulas, although some Cu-free paints are doing very well), with barnacles growing like crazy. Even with scraping, I may have to haul the boat early.
Old 19-11-2022, 15:58   #3

Thank you, curious about the samples but will wait and see, 2 years no Barnacles would be A dream for me. Thanks again, Pop's
Old 19-11-2022, 19:18   #4

Boat: Privilege 435

We had been going through a stash of petit sr-60 that we had bought on sale, with great results by the way, but it is no longer available. A Petit rep at the Annapolish sailboat show said that a company based in China (If I remember correctly) bought the company that made the biocide that everyone uses.

So the new Triton odyssey uses a more expensive alternative that is apparently better. At $400 a gallon, we haven’t taken the plunge yet.
Old 19-11-2022, 19:22   #5

Pricey I know, I think port supply is little less, if I could get two years where I am at, that would be amazing, I need 2.5 - 3 gallons, ouch. Thank you for reply

Cheers Pop's
Old 06-12-2023, 12:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I applied 20 coats, almost three gallons of Pettit Odyssey Triton Red in June of 2022.
My boat was hauled in Barcelona after 18 months in the warm waters of the Med and me not using the boat as often as I wanted, but when I did use it, I sailed or motored 5000nm in those 18 months.

As the boat dried from October 14 to December 1, the Triton started to flake in many spots and was washed off the rudder in many areas exposing the GelShield.

Still, not a barnacle on the hull. I wish I could say that the PropShield I used worked as well as the Triton
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 13:32   #7

Boat: Nor'West 33

I'm at 2 years with Pettit Trinidad HD in the northern SF Bay Area. Just scrubbed the hull yesterday with my Scrubbis pole and still haven't noticed any barnacles yet, although the soft growth is starting to come up faster after the first year. Luckily it still comes off pretty easily.
Old 06-12-2023, 17:14   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrspeedblade View Post
I'm at 2 years with Pettit Trinidad HD in the northern SF Bay Area. Just scrubbed the hull yesterday with my Scrubbis pole and still haven't noticed any barnacles yet, although the soft growth is starting to come up faster after the first year. Luckily it still comes off pretty easily.
Barnacles are very uncommon on a high quality copper-based anti fouling paint in almost all of the greater Bay Area. You are unlikely to ever have a problem with them.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 03:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
I applied 20 coats, almost three gallons of Pettit Odyssey Triton Red in June of 2022…..
20 coats??? Surely that’s a typo…. I hope.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:14   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
I applied 20 coats ,,...........

........ Still, not a barnacle on the hull. I wish I could say that the PropShield I used worked as well as the Triton
maybe if you applied 20 coats, or 7 times the recommended?
Longy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:42   #11

Boat: 2010 Beneteau 31

I'm near Annapolis, Maryland and use Pettit Hydrocoat. Picked up a bunch on sale and it works pretty well for me. I haul out every winter and do add a new layer or two of paint, using a gallon of paint for my 31 ft boat.

Growth is almost none, could count all of the barnacles on the hull on my hand (excepting the keel, which needs to be blasted and recoated).

It's water based so it goes on easy with an easy cleanup.

Red color adds .5 knots of speed.
apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:39   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico PH42

2 coats of Triton black over 2 coats of Triton blue over Pettit seal coat supervised by the Pettite
rep.

1 year in no barnacles but massive light green grass line anchored in the Bahamas for 2 weeks. It was almost like fertilizer. Grass washed off in subsequent heavy weather sailing, luckily because trying to scrub the grass off it took the black layers off before the grass.

Preformed worse than West Martine black the previous owner had on before at 3X the price. I would not use again.
seaxprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:54   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I don't understand how water based makes for easy clean-up.
* You can't wash brushes in the sink (illegal to discharge).
* You can't wash anything on the ground (same reason).
* Mixer must be wiped off.

* Your skin should be covered.
* Everything gets pitched.
* More difficult to revive leftovers in a year or two, then adding a few dollops of xylene to solvent-based paint.

I've used both, many times. The only practical difference is the solvent smell.

If you are washing things off with water ... you should not be.
Old Today, 14:17   #14

Three coats of Odyssey Triton Max October 2022. Because of illness in the family our boat a 29 ft Cat has ended up sitting dock side for now 22 months making for an unusual test case. Soft growth at water line has been a problem from the beginning and the bottom has been cleaned every 4 to 6 weeks for these 22 months. The paint has worn off 40-60 percent at the water line but the rest has held up ok. A simple wipe was all that was necessary until the paint had worn off. A few places below the water line has begun to host those crusty critters and they have required a little scraping with a plastic spatula. I think the paint instructions said Pettit expected a boat would be used weekly for 4 hours.
Certainly this is a case of no use is abuse. Had diver gone a little easier on the water line? Or is some percentage of this just ablation? It's going to be interesting to see the boat out of the water this fall.
wurtelej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint