Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 18:01   #31

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2
Re: Anyone using Rainman water maker

I just took delivery by UPS of my 120V high output unit. I will be heading to the 'off the beaten track' in Bahamas in March and will be relying on the unit for 45 days. I will post updates and commentary as I gather data and user experience. Stand by ..... Alan
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:15   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
Just to clarify, all our models have 2 pumps built in. One is a Jabsco low pressure pump that lifts the water and supplies low pressure to the high pressure pump. The high pressure pump then supplies 800 psi to the membrane unit. In our petrol model, both pumps are driven by the same belt. JCNZ's petrol machine is the only case we've had of the bearings failing in the Jabsco, and it may have been a Jabsco manufacturing fault or it could have been that the belt tension was set too high in our factory. Either way, we have redesigned the belt drive since then and all machines shipped since March 2016 have had the improved design. The new belt is a much shorter double sided belt with much lower tension and as JCNZ suggests, the pulley on the jabsco lift pump is now operating as a spring loaded belt tensioner. This means the belt tension is set for the lifetime of the machine. In the new design, we also revised the gear ratio so we can run the Honda motor slightly lower, saving fuel and reducing sound levels.
You mention a Jabsco lift pump but didn't specify what Rainman is using as the HP Pump? Could you please share this information as well ??
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 20:06   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to Rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
You mention a Jabsco lift pump but didn't specify what Rainman is using as the HP Pump? Could you please share this information as well ??
Our high pressure pumps are the General Pump (owned by Interpump Group) WM series pumps. The only difference between our four pressure supply unit options (gas/petrol, 230VAC, 115VAC, and 12VDC) is the throw length of the shaft. We chose this pump because we wanted our system to be highly reliable with minimum maintenance requirements. The pumps are quieter than alternative options and the seal kits are not expensive for future service.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:48   #34

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)

Hey Rainman. Great to see you active on this forum! Is there any plans in the future to scale the diesel powered model so it can be dual function - driving the pumps and generating power?

Definitely a long shot question, I understand!
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:33   #35

Boat: 2000 Beneteau 40CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanneau 45.2 View Post
I just took delivery by UPS of my 120V high output unit. I will be heading to the 'off the beaten track' in Bahamas in March and will be relying on the unit for 45 days. I will post updates and commentary as I gather data and user experience. Stand by ..... Alan
We have our Rainman 120v ordered and will take delivery in September. They just had a GREAT sale with all kinds of extra perks to order during their slow season.
We are excited about it coming in!!
Cara
SVMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:46   #36

Send a message via Skype™ to Rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_craig View Post
Hey Rainman. Great to see you active on this forum! Is there any plans in the future to scale the diesel powered model so it can be dual function - driving the pumps and generating power?

Definitely a long shot question, I understand!
Thanks for your question. We don't actually offer a diesel system, but offer them in petrol/gasoline, 115VAC, 230VAC, or 12VDC. We would love to offer a diesel version, but there isn't a small and light 1.0-1.5hp diesel motor available to use.

The dual function idea is a good one, but adding the power generation capability would make the system too heavy, complex, and expensive.
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:36   #37

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I have wondered if using a water maker makes the water “soft” which has that slippery feeling that feels like you can’t get the soap off. Any users of water makers experience this or is it like “normal” tap water when showering?
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:57   #38

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
I have wondered if using a water maker makes the water “soft” which has that slippery feeling that feels like you can’t get the soap off. Any users of water makers experience this or is it like “normal” tap water when showering?
Its like normal tap water to me.. However, thats a pretty broad statement as tap water is VERY different depending on where you are.

Its not soft water though. Actually, its a little harder than normal tap water as some bar soaps take a while to work up lather.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:48   #39

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to get a watermaker before I make another cruise to Florida - maybe winter of 19/20. On previous cruise there, I had ready access to good water, but I like the idea of self sufficiency. I realize in river water portions of the trip I will have more frequent filter changes, but I’m willing to deal with that or use marina water if it has too much mud from rain. I had never heard anyone complaining about the water being “soft” but have been reading some stuff about demineralized water due to RO and wondered if that made any difference. If anybody has a different opinion, please advise. Also any loopers,using watermaker on the fresh water portion, would like feedback on sediment filter change frequency.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 14:27   #40

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

I find the water produced from my Rainman to be 'soft', i.e. rinsing off soap takes a bit more water than at home. This experience is from Bahamas sea water.
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 18:20   #41

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanneau 45.2 View Post
I find the water produced from my Rainman to be 'soft', i.e. rinsing off soap takes a bit more water than at home. This experience is from Bahamas sea water.
What PPM are you getting?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2022, 19:47   #42

Boat: Seawind

Great unit make sure you have extra prefilters and impellers as it take awhile to receive if your in asia
. We spun an impeller in the Philippines and the local dealer is not responsive so we ordered direct from oz. Problem is it takes about 14 days and not sure if the unit will be ok as in not pickling it until parts arrive. Should be they include spares when you buy new
Capt. Lace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 15:22   #43

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lace View Post
Great unit make sure you have extra prefilters and impellers as it take awhile to receive if your in asia
. We spun an impeller in the Philippines and the local dealer is not responsive so we ordered direct from oz. Problem is it takes about 14 days and not sure if the unit will be ok as in not pickling it until parts arrive. Should be they include spares when you buy new
Yeah a solid spares kit is essential for any watermaker. A couple spare impellers, prefilters, O-rings, oil (for Rainman motor), pickling solution - and you should be good to go!
The Yacht Rigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water